Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does anyone know how much better the Activity bot is than the Boe Bot? — Parallax Forums

Does anyone know how much better the Activity bot is than the Boe Bot?

hapaluahapalua Posts: 149
edited 2014-09-26 13:17 in Robotics
349 is too much for me to get a EV3 by LEGO so im settling with the Parallax robots!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-12-13 14:20
    "better" is not a good measure. The ActivityBot is Propeller-based while the BoeBot is Stamp-based. The Propeller is faster, has more memory, can directly do things that the Stamps can't do like store PC-compatible files on an SD card. The Propeller also has 8 separate processors on the chip so it can do several things simultaneously. It can be programmed in a variety of languages including C, Forth, Basic while the Stamps can only be programmed in Parallax Stamp Basic.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2013-12-13 15:02
    That's a good summary, Mike! Thanks!

Here's what the two have in common:
    • Small, sturdy aluminum chassis
    • Servo motors
    • Microcontroller board with a white breadboard for solder-free circuit building
    • Baggie of electronic parts to build circuits.
    • Parts for touch-sensors, light sensors, and infrared object detectors.
    • Step-by-step tutorials to show you what to do.

Here's what the ActivityBot has that the Boe-Bot doesn't:
    • ActivityBot's SimpleIDE programming software is available for Mac and Windows (Boe-Bot's BASIC Stamp Editor is for Windows only)
    • ActivityBot has a multi-core Propeller "brain" - (click here for very simple single-core vs. multi-core explanation)
    • ActivityBot has high-speed servo motors - 2x to 3x faster than the Boe-Bot's
    • ActivityBot has special encoder wheels and sensors to let the robot brain know how fast the wheels are turning, so it can go straighter and make consistent maneuvers.
    • ActivitBot has a Ping))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor included, which gives a longer range and more precise object detection for navigation
    • ActivityBot's board has a slot for a microSD card, ad Mike mentioned. The Propeller is capable of playing WAV files from the card. The board has a speaker plug for your earbuds, or a small speaker like the veho360 and stand you can buy as ActivityBot accessories. I have had fun making my ActivityBot play music as it drives, or talk in response to sensor input.
    • ActivityBot has an XBee wireless socket built into the board if you want to get XBee acccessories. (You could buy an XBee adapter for the Boe-Bot separately as well)

A good way to make your choice is to look at the tutorials for both, since they are freely available. The BASIC Stamp starter tutorials are in books or PDF form. You can download the Boe-Bot text from its product page, under Downloads.

The ActivityBot and all the Propeller C tutorials are web-based - click here for the list.

Personally, I think that the Boe-Bot's PBASIC language was very easy to learn, and, combined with the "What's a Microcontroller?" text (another free download), it's a great place to start.

But, the ActivityBot and C language may take a bit more effort to get started, but once you get rolling, they make really exciting applications so much easier to do than you could with any other microcontroller.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-12-13 16:48
    hapalua wrote: »
    349 is too much for me to get a EV3 by LEGO so im settling with the Parallax robots!

My son and I own both a Lego NXT set and Parallax gear (Scribbler, Boe-bots, and Propeller robots). I think you'll find that you'll get much more for your money with the Parallax gear. You won't be settling at all because you'll learn more about microcontrollers and electronics.
  • hapaluahapalua Posts: 149
    edited 2013-12-13 16:59
    Great ! That's what I wanted to hear.
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-12-13 19:15
    That's a good summary, Mike! Thanks!

Here's what the two have in common:
    • Small, sturdy aluminum chassis
    • Servo motors
    • Microcontroller board with a white breadboard for solder-free circuit building
    • Baggie of electronic parts to build circuits.
    • Parts for touch-sensors, light sensors, and infrared object detectors.
    • Step-by-step tutorials to show you what to do.

Here's what the ActivityBot has that the Boe-Bot doesn't:
    • ActivityBot's SimpleIDE programming software is available for Mac and Windows (Boe-Bot's BASIC Stamp Editor is for Windows only)
    • ActivityBot has a multi-core Propeller "brain" - (click here for very simple single-core vs. multi-core explanation)
    • ActivityBot has high-speed servo motors - 2x to 3x faster than the Boe-Bot's
    • ActivityBot has special encoder wheels and sensors to let the robot brain know how fast the wheels are turning, so it can go straighter and make consistent maneuvers.
    • ActivitBot has a Ping))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor included, which gives a longer range and more precise object detection for navigation
    • ActivityBot's board has a slot for a microSD card, ad Mike mentioned. The Propeller is capable of playing WAV files from the card. The board has a speaker plug for your earbuds, or a small speaker like the veho360 and stand you can buy as ActivityBot accessories. I have had fun making my ActivityBot play music as it drives, or talk in response to sensor input.
    • ActivityBot has an XBee wireless socket built into the board if you want to get XBee acccessories. (You could buy an XBee adapter for the Boe-Bot separately as well)
    A good way to make your choice is to look at the tutorials for both, since they are freely available. The BASIC Stamp starter tutorials are in books or PDF form. You can download the Boe-Bot text from its product page, under Downloads.

The ActivityBot and all the Propeller C tutorials are web-based - click here for the list.

Personally, I think that the Boe-Bot's PBASIC language was very easy to learn, and, combined with the "What's a Microcontroller?" text (another free download), it's a great place to start.

But, the ActivityBot and C language may take a bit more effort to get started, but once you get rolling, they make really exciting applications so much easier to do than you could with any other microcontroller.

Good info...this post should be a sticky.
  • asabotasabot Posts: 8
    edited 2013-12-13 19:51
    I'm excited after reading these posts. My robotics class at school ended today and I am sad to not have boe-bot at home anymore. I wasn't really digging the pbasic, but I have had a semester of C and a semester of data structures in c++. I had fun with boe-bot and will definitely have to look into an activity bot..
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-12-13 22:23
    asabot wrote: »
    I'm excited after reading these posts. My robotics class at school ended today and I am sad to not have boe-bot at home anymore. I wasn't really digging the pbasic, but I have had a semester of C and a semester of data structures in c++. I had fun with boe-bot and will definitely have to look into an activity bot..

I encourage you to get a robot for home so you can continue working with it.

Robotics is an excellent field that allows one to learn many disciplines.

FWIW...anyone who lists robotics as a hobby gets a second look from me when hiring.
    edited 2013-12-14 16:25
    What "really exciting applications" is Stephanie Lindsay referring to? Like give examples if possible.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-12-14 17:27
    hapalua wrote: »
    What "really exciting applications" is Stephanie Lindsay referring to? Like give examples if possible.

Andy, Stephanie and others are working very hard to build the learn.parallax.com site and populate the projects page with interesting projects as they are developed. One thing she is referring to in her write up is the potential you have with the ActivityBot - the open chassis, the high speed servos with encoders, the Activity board, the Ping and other features will not limit you as your skills start to grow with your robot. The BOEbot with the BasicStamp is a capable learning tool but you will at some point outgrow the capabilities of the Stamp and tehn be wanting to move on. The Propeller is a much more capable processor and the multicore architecture lends itself well to robotics applications.
    edited 2013-12-15 10:13
    Hmm to save myself some money I think im going to forego the Activity Bot and S2 Scribbler and get the Tilt Tones Project kit which uses the Propeller Activity board just to get a feel for the
    Propeller chip and board. What does everyone think?

Thanks as usual!
    edited 2013-12-15 10:35
    Get the Propeller Education Kit and work through the manual and all the exercises.
    edited 2013-12-15 11:06
    Ahhh money is an issue. I was thinking about purchasing Tilt Tones Project kit that comes with the Activity Board and eventually just adding parts to it such as the veho speaker and sensors
    as I move along.. The Tilt Tones Project kit sells for 53 which really apppeals to me.
    edited 2013-12-15 11:41
    Ok, still work through the exercises and manuals. :0)
    edited 2013-12-15 11:48
    Okay I will haha =)
  • IFFIIFFI Posts: 4
    edited 2014-09-26 13:17
    ActivityBot I think is better than Boe Bot