Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie control problem — Parallax Forums

Eddie control problem

straitjacketstraitjacket Posts: 2
edited 2013-12-13 12:17 in Robotics
My Eddie (version 1.3 with blue encoders) works with the MRDS. Motion is flawless, obstacle avoidance perfect, no problems.

However, I need to develop a simpler Eddie without Kinect and MRDS through direct commands.

Using the serial interface provided I can send command like:

VER
VERB 1
WATCH 0
GO 20 20
GO 0 0
GO 20 20
PING
ADC

Everything works well. However, when I try a more advanced motion command I get "encoder errors".

The encoders appear to be working because I can read them (DIST), turn the wheel by hand and read them again and get the results I expect. The HEAD command appears to work properly as well.

When I issue a command like TRVL 1A3 25 or TURN FEF1 4B or STOP 0A or GOSPD 2F 2F the wheels will jerk and upon execution of the next command the response is an encoder error.

I have taken care to issue an ACC 100 command first.

What am I missing? Any thoughts? Is there a sequence of commands that must be issued in a particular order to get these encoder based commands to work?

Comments

• straitjacketstraitjacket Posts: 2
    edited 2013-12-13 12:17
    The encoders are not connected correctly.

Page 13 of the installation manual starts with "Viewing Eddie from the front".....

These instructions are good for the IR and ping sensors but are backwards for the blue encoders.

The picture on the Eddie home page shows the proper wiring.

hookup.png

From the front:

I/O 9 = right most encoder connection
    I/O 10 = inside connection for the right encoder
    I/O 11 = inside connection for the left encoder
    I/O 12 = left most encoder connection

It is also good to note that the encoder boards have the ground connections (black wire) on the outside of the encoder boards and the cable ground connecting to the control board face outward.
    526 x 440 - 279K