Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
[In Progress] Freddie:The story of one of the last Eddie Robot kits — Parallax Forums

[In Progress] Freddie:The story of one of the last Eddie Robot kits

bomberbomber Posts: 297
edited 2013-12-07 23:10 in Robotics
So a little while ago I managed to get my hands on one of the last Eddie robot platforms, and have since been preparing and planning for his debut. This will be his ongoing biography, documenting his construction, and our projects with him. I've assembled a team of Highly Trained Monkeys friends to help with the initial construction. We have completed main mechanical assembly (Pics, videos, etc. coming soon), will be working on the electrical hardware and software in the near future. To whet your appetite for what is coming in the future, here are some of the features that we hope to incorporate onto Eddie:

• Basic Eddie platform (We may or may not use Kinect or MRDS for some of our experimentation)
  • Laptop or Raspberry Pi for running our software (written in Python)
  • Compass, gyro, and accelerometer sensors (We’re considering adding a GPS unit for waypoint navigation in the future)
  • Web Server for remote control of Eddie (When we are using a laptop on Eddie, we will run the server straight from the robot, but with the Raspberry Pi we will have the server run on a separate computer, and communicate with it through Bluetooth or Xbee or something)
  • External webcam and x-y servo tilt mechanism
  • ColorPAL sensor that reads the color of the floor that it is on. This is to determine what room of the building it is in. This feature is experimental and depending on how much success we have with it, it may or may not be used.
  • Other things that may pop into our heads.

Pictures, video, updates, etc. coming soon (soon is a relative term; school, laziness, and the randomness of life may prohibit the updating of the thread).

Comments