Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2<-->Mac Serial Terminal — Parallax Forums

Prop2<-->Mac Serial Terminal

rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
edited 2013-12-07 20:58 in Propeller 2
Hello!

What is it?

Prop2MacTerminal (P2MT)is an ApplescriptObjC application example intended to run under Mac OS X 10.8.5 or higher.
All sources are included in the ImageJ folder in the download and are completely "open." You are free to use them in any way you choose.

P2MT automates logging and display of serial data generated by a Propeller 1 or 2 (or higher), using a PropPlug communicating through the Mac's Terminal Screen Tool. Logged data can be automatically sent to ImageJ through a faceless process and resulting images can then be re-displayed by P2MT. The intention is to allow graphical representations of serial data at baud rates beyond 1M. P2MT has been tested using an unmodified Propeller Activity Board and an OV2640 camera at 230400 baud. I have not been able to successfully test P2MT with the P2 on my P2/Nano FPGA emulator at any baud rate.

Log files have no extension. Generated image files have a .tif extension.

-->To install unzip Prop2MacTerm.zip and drag the P2MT application and the ImageJ folder into your applications folder and then double click on P2MT.<--

Quick Instructions for Testing

1. Set the Port and Baudrate.
2. Create a log path. <-- This is not optional.

If you are testing the serial version of Chip's P2 Balls sample:

Enter PNUT and run Balls_txt. Then leave the PropPlug connected to your P2, but disconnect the other end of the PropPlug from your Window's machine and connect it to your Mac. This doesn't seem to work for me on my P2/Nano ( I see nothing in the Prop Terminal at any baud rate… but give it a try and see if you can make it work.

3. In P2MT, click the "Acquire 24-Bit RGB" button and wait for the input to start and stop.

4. When the P2 stops sending, click "Process 24-bit RGB and Display" button. Only a single image will display, but
a multi-image tiff file, called a "stack" was also created. This file can be made into an mpeg4 or avi file by opening the stack file in ImageJ (32 bit) and then File->SaveAS->AVI or QuicktimeTime Movie .
This manual step is required because of current limitation in the macro functions of ImageJ.

If you are testing the P1/OV2640 interface:

3. Set up your camera as detailed in the included spin file and load the file into the EEPROM.
4.Once your Prop is running, click the "Acquire OV2640 and Display" button in P2MT.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE the "Conncect Serial" or "Disconnect" buttons for these uses, everything happens automatically.

If you are testing your own source:

3. Click the "Connect Serial." You should see your Mac's Terminal open to the Screen Tool. To send output to your Prop, enter your commands into the Screen Tool Window. Incoming data should be logged as indicated by the checkmark to the left of "Logging" in the file listed
in the Log File text area.

To stop logging either exit P2MT or click the checkbox "Logging" so that the checkmark disappears.

P2MT is far from complete.

Thanks for testing.

Rich (rjo__)