Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Official JavaScript Religious War Thread. - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

The Official JavaScript Religious War Thread.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-02-05 09:55
    In case anyone is still in doubt, JavaScript is number one http://news.dice.com/2015/02/04/javascript-tops-popular-languages-as-swift-rises/?CMPID=AF_SD_UP_JS_AV_OG_DNA_

Well, one might doubt the validity of that list. Given that Java, the language with no reason to exist is number 2. And C#, with even less reason to exist (we already had Java thanks) is number 5. Then they have CSS as number 8, WTF?
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2015-02-05 10:34
    That's the argumentum ad populum fallacy, just because JavaScript is a popular language with a bright future, don't mean it's not a terrible language.

A further WTF is that PHP is third! I question the sanity of the respondents.
    edited 2015-02-05 11:39
    Martin,
    That's the argumentum ad populum fallacy, just because JavaScript is a popular language with a bright future, don't mean it's not a terrible language.
    I do know and appreciate that point of view.

But let's take a different idea. From evolution.

Since the beginning, with FORTRAN, programming languages have mutated, cross bred, and generally progressed in a way that could be seen as evolutionary.

So what then is the driving force behind this evolution? Normally in the biological world we think of "survival of the fittest." That is to say the creatures that can survive in their environment go on to create more similar creatures. Whilst the variants that do not fit their environment wither and die.

How does this relate to programming languages?

Well let's imagine the languages as like creatures. Mutating and cross breeding with the help of humans that like to do such things.

Let's imagine the "environment" is the huge user base of programmers who use the languages.

So, survival of a programming language is nothing to do with how "good" or "terrible" you may think it is. It's all to do with how well it fits its environment, the mass of programmers and whatever it is they want to do with it.
    edited 2015-02-05 11:46
    Martin,
    A further WTF is that PHP is third! I question the sanity of the respondents.
    OK, at this point I give up. This evolution thing is beyond my understanding :)

There were no "respondents" here. As far a I understand this list all based on occurrences of the language in github and on stack overflow.

Well now, github might be a good start. It shows what people are actually using.

Stack overflow on the other hand only shows how many problems people are having with those languages!
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2015-02-05 17:07
    Sad COBOL usually not on github but on tapes...

What is wrong with a non recursive solution? Why it needs to be recursive?

Enjoy!

Mike
    edited 2015-02-05 18:32
    msrobots,
    What is wrong with a non recursive solution? Why it needs to be recursive?
    From an aesthetic point of view many programmers would say that the normal iterative version is ugly:
       for ( c = 0 ; c < n ; c++ )
       {
          if ( c <= 1 )
             next = c;
          else
          {
             next = first + second;
             first = second;
             second = next;
          }
          printf("%d\n",next);
       }

Where as the recursive version is a thing of beauty:
    int Fibonacci(int n)
    {
       if ( n < 2 )
          return n;
       else
          return ( Fibonacci(n-1) + Fibonacci(n-2) );
    } 

Which I'm sure you will agree is true. The recursive version very clearly expresses the definition of fibonacci numbers.

More practically there have been many recursive fibos posted on this forum in various languages and language implementations along with their benchmark timings. It's a good test of function call overhead. So a COBOL recursive fibo result is in order.

Some offer dire warnings that the recursive fibo will blow up your stack for large n. This is true but overlooks the points that:

1) The execution time is O(fibo(n)) so you won't live long enough to blow up even a small stack.

2) The numbers get huge so even when using 64 bit ints you can only get up to fibo(92) before overflowing the number range (if your computer could live that long) like so:
    2880067194370816120    = FIBO 90
    4660046610375530309    = FIBO 91
    7540113804746346429    = FIBO 92
    9223372036854775807    = INT_MAX
    12200160415121876738   = FIBO 93

And that only requires a stack big enough for 93 recursive calls.

You didn't expect a short answer did you?
    edited 2015-02-05 19:54
    No I didn't. Thank you.

I see the beauty and understand that it shows the function overhead. A completely not needed function overhead. Bloat. Pretty sure the iterative version is faster.

The presented code does in fact run all 93 iterations. Just without recursion. You are the Linux and command line guy. Just run it thru GnuCOBOL/OpenCobol and time it!

You even can look at the generated C code. Sadly GnuCobol uses curses/ncurses for SCREEN SECTIONS and BerkleyDB for Database (mostly ISAM) stuff. So no COBOL on the Prop. PropGCC can't handle this.

Emscripten might. Not even sure there.

But your local Linux thing can. Even the RasPi. Self hosted.

I think the recursive version of Fibonacci in COBOL would loose some of it beauty as you call it. Sure doable. But why?

COBOL sources are almost readable English language. Verbose but thru this well self-commented also. Honestly you could take the guy doing this on paper, show him the part of the listing and he was able to understand it. And tell you what's wrong. Putting recursion into something just because it looks cool thereby f...ing up all people working with that code later is uncool, I think.

And later can mean 50 years later or so. Think of the movie Idiocracy. COBOL will survive. JavaScript? Hmm....

As for the restriction of 32 or 64 bits. COBOL has some standard named data types for the ease of use. But you can declare without a problem a variable able to display the money America already spend in say cents and use it in calculations.

Enjoy!

Mike

Enjoy!

Mike
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-02-05 22:54
    I've actually come to like Javascript. It's ubiquity has created a competitive marketplace for fast, efficient interpreters. And the JS debugging tools that come with Firefox are really helpful. I've used it extensively on the client side of both of these projects, with Perl as my chosen language for the server side:

-Phil
    edited 2015-02-06 02:25
    msrobots,

Yes there is a lot of function call overhead in the recursive fibo. And yes the iterative version is far faster. The execution time of the recursive is proportional to fib(n) which obviously gets very big very quickly.

For sure I will be trying your code in open-cobol when I have a moment.

Having to have ncurses and BerklyDB in order to run the compiled code may be a show stopper for getting this running in JS in the browser. I'm not about to try compiling those to JS. Perhaps we can make tiny versions of any required ncurses/berkley functions in JS though.
    I think the recursive version of Fibonacci in COBOL would loose some of it beauty as you call it. Sure doable. But why?
    Perhaps recursive cobol is not so pretty. That recursive factorial thing looked OK though. Why do it? because that is the standard benchmark around here.
    Putting recursion into something just because it looks cool thereby f...ing up all people working with that code later is uncool, I think.
    That is true, especially in languages like C, but consider this version in Haskell:
    fib 0 = 0
    fib 1 = 1
    fib n = fib (n-1) + fib (n-2)

That so beautifully and concisely expresses what it is. Much easier to read than any other language. Sadly it's also exponentially slow.

Some languages can optimize away the overhead of recursion so that a recursive algorithm executes in the same time as an iterative loop. (See "tail call optimization"). This allows some code to be very much more readable when written recursively whilst also being speedy. Sadly rearranging that Haskell code to allow tail call recursion make it less readable again and is still fibo(n) run time.

It's cool to know that COBOL handles really big numbers. Sadly that could be an other issue in getting it to run in the browser in general. We would have to include a big number library.
    edited 2015-02-06 03:36
    OK, how are you supposed to compile that COBOL with cobc.

I try "cobc -C fibo.cob" and get nothing but errors like "fibo.cob:1: Error: Invalid indicator 'R' at column 7"
    edited 2015-02-06 03:41
    I got it:
    $ cobc -free -C  fibo.cob

But I had to remove the * comment line. Odd.
    edited 2015-02-06 03:50
    Hmm...seems open-cobol comments have to start with *>
    Odd.
    Runs nicely though.
    edited 2015-02-06 04:10
    Ha, Ha! I found a recursive fibo in COBOL here http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Fibonacci_sequence#Recursive_12
    It looks like this:
           >>SOURCE FREE
    IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
    PROGRAM-ID. fibonacci-main.

DATA DIVISION.
    WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
    01  num                                 PIC 9(6) COMP.
    01  fib-num                             PIC 9(6) COMP.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
        ACCEPT num
        CALL "fibonacci" USING CONTENT num RETURNING fib-num
        DISPLAY fib-num
    END PROGRAM fibonacci-main.

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
    PROGRAM-ID. fibonacci RECURSIVE.

DATA DIVISION.
    LOCAL-STORAGE SECTION.
    01  1-before                            PIC 9(6) COMP.
    01  2-before                            PIC 9(6) COMP.

LINKAGE SECTION.
    01  num                                 PIC 9(6) COMP.

01  fib-num                             PIC 9(6) COMP BASED.

PROCEDURE DIVISION USING num RETURNING fib-num.
        ALLOCATE fib-num
        EVALUATE num
            WHEN 0
                MOVE 0 TO fib-num
            WHEN 1
                MOVE 1 TO fib-num
            WHEN OTHER
                SUBTRACT 1 FROM num
                CALL "fibonacci" USING CONTENT num RETURNING 1-before
                SUBTRACT 1 FROM num
                CALL "fibonacci" USING CONTENT num RETURNING 2-before
                ADD 1-before TO 2-before GIVING fib-num
        END-EVALUATE
    END PROGRAM fibonacci.

Oh my frikken God. how could that be so huge and complicated ?!

Compare to the Haskell version above.

It compiles and runs but I have no idea how to get a result out of it. If I type a small number on the command line after running it it immediately prints 000000 and exits like so:
    $ ./fibo-exe 

If I type a big number in in hangs up my whole machine for ages and then dies !

I have no idea what to do with this. Any suggestions msrobots?
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2015-02-06 04:42
    Heater, the standard output for COBOL is a punch card deck. Look for it on the nearest card punch.
    edited 2015-02-06 04:55
    Ah, forgot about that. I have not used or seen a card punch since 1975 when I was learning ALGOL on an ICL 2960 at Uni.

Mind you even then we were quite advanced. The output was line printed on line printers. Reams of that wide paper with green stripes would be in my pigeon hole in the morning after the card deck was run over night. Normally full of syntax errors or core dumps. It was nice to have the computer operator slaves to operate the machine for us but boy were they slow.

Does that mean to get this running under JS in the browser we have make a graphical simulation of the card punch and line printer?

This idea is getting out of hand.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-02-06 07:48
    @Heater
    You might have to pipe in a data file. Unix/Linux does do that...

Be very careful what you say. The guy that prints your paycheck might be a COBOL programmer.
    edited 2015-02-06 08:00
    Unix is already piping the "files" stdout and stdin to and fro the console input and console output, basically my terminal.

In the code I see.
        ACCEPT num
        CALL "fibonacci" USING CONTENT num RETURNING fib-num
        DISPLAY fib-num

Which, googling around I can assume to be:
    get num from user input
    calculate fib-num as fibonacci of num
    print fib-num

Which is what it does. As my session with it, posted above shows.

Problem is the results are all zero and it blows up for inputs like 40. Which by the way a recursive fibo should not do, even if the calculation takes for ever. This should not use a lot of memory.

I'm stuck with it for now.
    edited 2015-02-07 02:41
    Sorry @Heater, I was busy with other work.

Great that you are able to run COBOL, finally. You are old and grown up enough to cherish this language, I hope.

First example:

Iterative code, but up to 36 characters in the result. So we display Fibonacci(0) to Fibonacci(173)

just copy into some-file and use cobc -x -free some-file

and run it.
      IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.  
          PROGRAM-ID. "Fibonacci".  
      DATA DIVISION.  
      WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.  
      01  ix			        BINARY-C-LONG VALUE 0.  
      01  first-number		PIC 9(36) VALUE 0.  
      01  second-number	PIC 9(36) VALUE 1.  
      01  temp-number		PIC 9(36) VALUE 1.  
      01  display-line.
          05  display-num		PIC Z(3)9.
          05  display-number    PIC Z(36)9.  
      PROCEDURE DIVISION.  
      START-PROGRAM. 
          MOVE 0 to display-num
          MOVE first-number TO display-number
          DISPLAY display-line.  
          MOVE 1 to display-num
          MOVE second-number TO display-number
          PERFORM VARYING ix FROM 2 BY 1 UNTIL ix = 174  
              DISPLAY display-line  
              ADD first-number TO second-number GIVING temp-number  
              MOVE second-number TO first-number  
              MOVE temp-number TO second-number  
    	  MOVE ix to display-num
              MOVE temp-number TO display-number  
          END-PERFORM
          DISPLAY display-line  
          STOP RUN.

You did mention a numeric overflow after Fibonacci(93) using C longs. Does not apply for COBOL. See above.

I also did get your recursive version running.

You are right. GnuCOBOL runs into some major stack issue there. Works fine below Fibonacci(30). But then it barfs somehow. Not coming back. No errors. Just hangs.

I guess GnuCobol 1,1 does not really support recursion. Not sure there. Never used recursion in COBOL before.

anyways runnable version for you:
           >>SOURCE FREE
    IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
    PROGRAM-ID. fibonacci-main.
    DATA DIVISION.
    WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
    01  num                                 BINARY-C-LONG.
    01  fib-num                             BINARY-C-LONG.
    PROCEDURE DIVISION.
        ACCEPT num
        CALL "fibonacci" USING num fib-num
        DISPLAY fib-num
        STOP RUN.    
    END PROGRAM fibonacci-main.

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
    PROGRAM-ID. fibonacci RECURSIVE.
    DATA DIVISION.
    LOCAL-STORAGE SECTION.
    01  1-before                            BINARY-C-LONG.
    01  2-before                            BINARY-C-LONG. 
    LINKAGE SECTION.

PROCEDURE DIVISION USING num fib-num.
        EVALUATE num
            WHEN 0
                MOVE 0 TO fib-num
            WHEN 1
                MOVE 1 TO fib-num
            WHEN OTHER
                SUBTRACT 1 FROM num
                CALL "fibonacci" USING num 1-before
                SUBTRACT 1 FROM num
                CALL "fibonacci" USING num 2-before
                ADD 1-before TO 2-before GIVING fib-num
                ADD 2 to num
        END-EVALUATE
    END PROGRAM fibonacci.

Ugly, isn't it?

The iterative version is way faster then the recursive one, Way faster. Beauty or not. And does not hang.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2015-02-07 02:56
    msrobots,

Got the fibonacci running! Thanks!

But now that I have not only seen, but tried to understand some Cobol code, I don't find it particularly easy to read. I'm not more sure about exactly what's going to happen than with any other computer language, in fact it's worse sometimes. So I'm not so sure about that part of the language. It was supposed to be one of its major points (the other being decimal calculations I guess).

-Tor
    edited 2015-02-07 03:49
    msrobots,

"Old and grown up"!? I never did pull off the "grown up" part very well and now I seem to be retrograding :)

I'll start cherishing immediately. Squinting a bit at COBOL I see it looks a lot like PASM. Seriously:

COBOL:
        ADD  first-number TO second-number GIVING temp-number  
        MOVE second-number TO first-number  
        MOVE temp-number TO second-number  
        MOVE ix to display-num
        MOVE temp-number TO display-number  

PASM:
        MOV  temp_number, first_number
        ADD  temp_number, second_number  
        MOV  first_number, second_number  
        MOV  second_number, temp_number  
        MOV  display_num, ix
        MOV  display_number, temp_number   

Anyway, well done and thanks.

It's impressive to see the big number results for fibo
    fibo(173) = 638817435613190341905763972389505493

I wonder how the performance of that compares to using big integers in Python?

Surprisingly the recursive version does actually run properly on my machine at home. Gives the correct results instead of just zero. I don't know if that's because I have a 64 bit machine as opposed to my old 32 bit office machine. Or because I'm using Debian Jessie here instead of Wheezy. I seem to have the same OpenCOBOL 1.1.0 but perhaps some libraries it uses are newer.

fib(40) takes almost a minute!
    $ time ./fibo-recursive
    +00000000000102334155

real    0m53.979s
    user    0m51.164s
    sys     0m0.024s

Yep, it's damn ugly code. COBOL syntax just does not encourage such elegant coding style.
    Never used recursion in COBOL before.
    How do you guys search a binary tree or any interesting data structure in COBOL without recursion?

Recursive fibo is well known to be very slow. Such code is not expected to be used in reality. It's an example of recursion, it's a benchmark.

Strangely, I wrote a recursive FFT in C. It was very much nicer to read than the normal approach of three nested loops. It reflected the algorithm nicely. It was of course slower than the more standard approach. But then surprisingly I found that for really big input arrays, tens or millions of elements, the recursive version started to beat the iterative. I still have not figured out why but I think it was down to how the CPU caches are used.
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2015-02-07 12:19
    COBOL looks like assembly language becuase it was meant to compile, with a really minimal compiler, to CISC assembly languages for mainframe computers which were in turn meant to be programmed directly by humans. The compiler was more about automating resource allocation for variables and moving data around between storage devices than it was about converting high level logic like algebraic expressions to low level instructions.
    edited 2015-02-07 14:15
    localroger,

I think you have a point. Looking at this:
    LOCAL-STORAGE SECTION.
    01  1-before                            BINARY-C-LONG.
    01  2-before                            BINARY-C-LONG. 
    LINKAGE SECTION.

It looks like we are having to explain to the compiler where it will find it's local variables and where it will find it's parameters on the stack. Rather than have it work that out for itself. Now a days we see things like "section" in the output of a compilation.

On the other hand I imagine even mainframes did not support arbitrary length integers so some real compilation work is going on somewhere. Did early COBOL compilers do that? I have no idea.

Whilst we are here. How come the iterative fibo code uses 36 digit numbers but the recursive uses BINARY-C-LONG?

Not that anyone would ever live long enough to see a result out of the recursive algorithm that required a C long to hold the result.
    edited 2015-02-07 14:35
    Oh, dear, we are not doing very well. This site: http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibCalcX.html can calculate the 4180 digits of fib(20000) in 6.96 seconds:

Fib(20000)=
    4180 digits in 6.96 seconds
    edited 2015-02-07 15:02
    On the other hand....my PC can calculate the 5759 digits of fibo (27557) in python using the recursive algorithm in 90ms ! See code at the end of the post.
    $ time python fibo.py

real    0m0.093s
    user    0m0.056s
    sys     0m0.036s

[code]
    memo = {0:0, 1:1}

def fibo(n):
        if not n in memo:
            memo[n] = fibo(n-1) + fibo(n-2)
        return memo[n]

print fibo(27557)

That about wraps it up for COBOL around here!
    edited 2015-02-07 15:05
    Just for grins, I computed the frequency distribution of the 4180 digits in the computation two posts above, fully expecting it to be uniform:
    0: 381
    1: 464
    2: 450
    3: 406
    4: 415
    5: 443
    6: 418
    7: 385
    8: 425
    9: 393

It was not, to a statistically-significant degree. Here's the result for the computation directly above:
    0: 577
    1: 573
    2: 598
    3: 563
    4: 546
    5: 596
    6: 599
    7: 567
    8: 592
    9: 548

It looks to be a lot more uniform.

-Phil
    edited 2015-02-07 15:12
    @Tor,

good you got it running.

As for the readability - it depends. Function are available with GnuCOBOL 2.0 not yet available in OC 1xx. But the syntax of functions is not much different from the call of Sub Programs shown in the recursive example. But without knowing COBOL at all, @Heater was able to translate to PASM by just squinting at it.

COBOL was the second language created by Grace Hopper. The first one was Flow-Matic. the first attempt to write a HLL and a compiler. Before that there where no compiler at all.

Grace Hopper invented the idea of a compiler and HLLs. So COBOL is a first gen. language. But most of it is there, branches and loops, even structures.

@Heater.

I used 36 digits in the first example to show larger numbers. Thus fibo(173) was doable. Your c version peters out at fibo(93) because of numeric overflow.

Enjoy!

Mike
    edited 2015-02-07 15:15
    Phil,

No doubt you did that in Perl.

We are seriously geeking out here:)

As this is an anti-JavaScript thread my problem now is how to demonstrate that JS can also achieve such big fibo results? And how long will they take to run?
    edited 2015-02-07 15:21
    Of course, Perl! Here's a graph:

attachment.php?attachmentid=113099&d=1423351279

-Phil
    582 x 437 - 6K
    edited 2015-02-07 15:46
    @msrobots.
    Function are available with GnuCOBOL 2.0 ... But the syntax of functions is not much different from the call of Sub Programs shown in the recursive example.
    I really don't want to see how COBOL with classes and objects will look:)

Grace Hopper was amazing but as usual Americans have their own version of history.

The concept of a high level language was first imagined by Konrad Zuse in 1943.

Autocode by Alick Glennie in 1952 is thought to be the first compiled programming language.

FORTRAN by John Backus et al in 1957 is generally thought to be the first "real" compiled language.

COBOL did not arrive until 1960.

To my mind the first real high level language and compiler is Lisp in 1962. That was the first time you could write a compiler for a language in the same language. Lisp could compile itself.

Yep. C conks out at fibo(93). Mind you in the C language standard says that the type 'int' is implementation-dependent. That is to say that the fact that your program conks out at some point is due to limits imposed by you particular compiler not the C language itself.

Anyway as we see, COBOL's 36 digits is pathetic compared to what Python can do!

@phil

Do we need more fibo digits to see if that distribution flattens some more out up there?
    edited 2015-02-07 17:54
    heater wrote:
    Do we need more fibo digits to see if that distribution flattens some more out up there?
    Oh, yes, absolutely!

-Phil