Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple plastic cover I made for circuit board — Parallax Forums

Simple plastic cover I made for circuit board

Don MDon M Posts: 1,652
edited 2013-12-05 16:23 in General Discussion
I was thinking about what I could use to cover the bottom of a circuit board so that it wouldn't short out when set down on the bench or mounted in a machine. I remember from the old days of repairing consumer electronics products of the stiff insulating sheets they would use to cover circuit boards and they even made a simple "box" out of the same stuff to cover assemblies.

So I thought about what I could use that would be similar and easy to find locally. After some thought I went to Staples and purchased their cheapest 3 ring binder ($1.99) that was made out of thin translucent plastic. They are the Simply brand 1/2" Poly available in different colors.

So I sheared the pieces with my paper cutter to fit my board. I was able to bend the corners and make a creased edge to form somewhat of a square edged box. I used an Exact-O knife to make a couple cutouts. I found some small push though fasteners at the local hardware store to hold the plastic to the bottom of the board.

It worked out pretty cool. It's simple, provides protection against short circuits and is translucent to allow the led's to shine through. I attached some Velcro strips to the bottom for mounting.

Case top Green small.jpg
Case end view Bluetooth small.jpg
Case bottom Velcro small.jpg

Now if I could find a way to label this type of plastic. I'm not sure what could be used. Any ideas? I was thinking of some sort of heat stamp but don't know how that could be done easily at home.
1024 x 768 - 248K
1024 x 768 - 219K
1024 x 768 - 215K

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-12-04 19:58
    Metal stamps then fill with sharpie of whatever color. Or, if your hands are steady enough, an engraver would also work as long as you did not go too deep.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2013-12-04 20:36
    That's really very clever.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-12-04 22:57
    Good idea Don. I use plastic cutting board sheets to do the same. They're four to a pack from the dollar store. For labeling I use self stick Avery or similar 8.5 x 11 sheets and my inkjet printer.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2013-12-04 23:37
    Zoot wrote: »
    That's really very clever.

...ditto! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing.
  • lanternfishlanternfish Posts: 366
    edited 2013-12-05 00:07
    Thanks for sharing this. I have seen some preformed boxes made from a similar plastic but it never crossed my mind to use them. Now all I have to do is remember where I saw them .... =-O
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-12-05 01:22
    Nice. Similar to the $2 servo testers which come with a printed mylar sleeve wrapped around. Blue indicator LEDs shine thru whether or not they are lined up with the clear windows or not. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-RC-Helicopter-Plane-CCPM-Servo-ESC-Consistency-Tester-Checker-4-8-6V-/390717141894?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af88e7386
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,652
    edited 2013-12-05 07:46
    Here's the fastener I used-

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/fasteners/hard-to-find/clips/7-64-hole-flex-retainers-10-pcs-box/p-1653776-c-9548.htm

I'd like to find a much better price on quantities. Seems rather pricey for a little piece of plastic.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-12-05 09:25
    I also think this is a great trick.

What about using nylon nuts and bolts to secure the board to the plastic?

I get a lot of stuff from Micro Fasteners and they have nylon nuts and bolts.
    edited 2013-12-05 14:59
    kwinn wrote: »
    Good idea Don. I use plastic cutting board sheets to do the same. They're four to a pack from the dollar store. For labeling I use self stick Avery or similar 8.5 x 11 sheets and my inkjet printer.

You got my interest with this one so off to the Dollar store I went today. I found some sheets that appear to be made from the same material. The notebook binder cover material I used is .015" thick while the cutting board material from the Dollar Store is .017" thick.

The cutting board material should work great at even a better cost savings. The white/opaue larger style even has one smooth side. They also had a 3 pack of smaller colored ones too.

Thanks for the tip!
    edited 2013-12-05 15:02
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I also think this is a great trick.

What about using nylon nuts and bolts to secure the board to the plastic?

I get a lot of stuff from Micro Fasteners and they have nylon nuts and bolts.

Duane- yes that would work too. The push in type fasteners are nice for quick assembly. Seems the size I need though is more expensive than the larger sizes. I paid $.63 each yesterday at the hardware store.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-12-05 16:23
    Brother brand label tape sticks pretty well to a lot of surfaces. I've used the normal tape put barcodes on vials that have been washed hundreds of times without the tape coming off. I'm not sure if the normal label material would stick to the textured material. You may need the more expensive high adhesive tape if you wanted to use Brother labels.