Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EasyIMU Development — Parallax Forums

EasyIMU Development

Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
edited 2013-12-29 05:50 in Accessories
Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to give a sneak peak of the new EasyIMU that I am almost done developing. I also wanted to get a few opinions about what data I should make available for you to have access to.

Let me first start with an overview of the module. It is an expansion board that will plug into a Propeller Mini with an MMA7455 3-Axis Accelerometer and an L3G4200D Gyroscope on it. The intent is for the Propeller Mini and EasyIMU Board to be a standalone device that you can query with a Basic Stamp or another Propeller, and get the calculated tilt-compensated angles back from. The sensors are the ones that we currently sell, and you will just solder them onto the expansion board and be set. Once the sensors are ready, you will upload the EasyIMU Firmware and be ready to get data from the Rx and Tx lines on the EasyIMU expansion board to the microcontroller you desire. The Propeller Mini and EasyIMU board are powered by the power input connections on the EasyIMU board as well.

Now for what it does: I am currently running a Complementary Filter on the Propeller Mini that reads all six axes of the sensors, and then calculates the tilt compensated angles for the X,Y and Z axes.

The big question that I have for all of you is what data you would want/need from the device considering that it already calculates the tilt-compensated angles. With this data already being done, is there any need for the raw readings to be accessible considering you can buy the module by itself and plug it into a board and get the raw readings? I am on the side of not having that information be accessible because this is designed to give you a quick 6-axis IMU that calculates the angles for you, and the only reason I can see having the raw measurements would be to calculate the angles!

Let me know what you guys think and I'll go from there

!
EasyIMU.jpg
1024 x 768 - 71K

Comments

• Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2013-12-18 02:21
    Hello,

Is it possible to use it with a Propeller to stabilize a quad copter ?

It needs quick data updates. About 300 per sec.

Jean Paul
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2013-12-18 08:06
    The module can be queried at 100 Hz right now. The firmware for the Propeller Mini utilizes a 6.25MHz crystal to clock the Propeller at 100 MHz. The process taking place is for the Mini to read both sensors, and then run them through a low and high pass filter, and then merge into a Complementary Filter for the angular calculations. All said, it takes roughly 10 mS for that process to happen. I am not sure if 300 Hz is what would be needed for a Quadcopter, although I have not tried it. However, I am in the process of making a Balancing robot utilizing the IMU, and so far the sample rate of 100 Hz is not showing a problem. More to come on that though as it progresses!
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2013-12-29 05:50
    Nick,
    How is the project going?
    Jim