Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SNTP suddenly returning 2/1/2014 00:01:58 all the time — Parallax Forums

SNTP suddenly returning 2/1/2014 00:01:58 all the time

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2013-12-15 17:27 in Accessories
It may be an issue with only the Smile network I am on with these things, but after months of running perfectly, the SNTP time thing is suddenly only returning 2/1/2014 as the date, and something like 00:58:08 (it varies). I've tried MANY different servers, all the same.

I'm guessing that somebody loaded some firewall filter or something... maybe blocked UDP?

Has anyone seen this 2/1/2014 thing before?

I'm in a location where I do not have access to a different network, so I can't check from outside their network.

All the units I have running started exhibiting the same behavior at the same time. All on the same network.

Thanks for any thoughts.....

Dave

Comments

• RforbesRforbes Posts: 281
    edited 2013-12-03 19:06
    Hey Dave,

Not sure what you mean by not being able to "check from outside their network."

Are you using a time server they have deployed inside their firewall? And if you have multiple spinnerets using SNTP, are they all trying to connect to the same time server? If so, it's probably the time server that has issues, but that doesn't seem very likely.

If the RTC loses it's time for some reason (like an extended power outage that lasts long enough for the super-capacitor to die off) it will start up at some default date/time. If you're not successfully connecting to the ntp server and getting the current date/time, then that could explain it.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-12-03 19:38
    It looks like a bug related to the sntp library.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-12-03 20:32
    Hi,

By "can't access from an outside network", I mean:

All of my "boxes" are on an intranet (192.168.0.xx) within a large corporate network that spans a few states.

When I develop my boxes, I do so from my home internet connection which has a regular "real" IP address that isn't in the 192.168..... range. That would be what I mean by an "outside network".

I suspect that the SNTP stuff would work just fine from my home network. I believe the issue I am having may be specific to the corporate intranet my boxes are installed on.

Unfortunately, where I am physically located is a 5 hour drive from my home network, and I know of no other network upon which I can place my box with its dedicated IP address, in order to test.

I am assuming that anyone else running SNTP 2.01 is NOT seeing 2/1/2014 as a returned date from the time servers...

Mainly, I am wondering where that specific date is coming from. What is populating those fields with that data? I do not see it in the httpserver.spin code, nor in the SNTP spin code, so it has to be originating externally. I'm thinking if I can find out where that 2014 date is originating, I can fix the issue....... or not.

Help appreciated.

D
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2013-12-03 23:52
    I think something changed with how the number of seconds are returned... I tried some original Perl Code I based the SNTP server from and get the correct time, but a negative value for the date.... If I apply the negative value to 31, the difference is the correct date. The SNTP Spin program may not be handling the negative number in the date correctly is my guess until I look into it further.

I even tried a few different SNTP servers from the link below with the same results. I do know for a fact that the original Perl code did work for the Month of December and didn't 'jump' to January reporting negative date values. ...So something has changed it seems.
    http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

Original Perl Script: USED to DEBUG
    #!/usr/bin/perl

use IO::Socket::INET;
    $MySocket=new IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerPort=>123,  #open socket
            Proto=>'udp',
            PeerAddr=>'132.163.4.101');

$data =     chr(227) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(148);  #LI/VN/Mode, Stratum, Poll, Precision
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Root Delay
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Root Dispersion
    $data = $data . "LOCL";                             #Reference Identifier
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Reference Timestamp
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Originate Timestamp
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Receive Timestamp
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Transmit Timestamp

$MySocket->send($data);			            #Waiting to receive data		
    $MySocket->recv($data,56);                          
    $MySocket->close();                                 #received data close socket

@Chars = split("", $data);

$n1 = ord($Chars[40]);				    #Upper 32 bits of Transmit Timestamp
    $n2 = ord($Chars[41]);
    $n3 = ord($Chars[42]);
    $n4 = ord($Chars[43]);

$Seconds = $n4 + $n3*256 + $n2*65536 + $n1*16777216; #Seconds since Jan1, 1900

$Zone =  -6;                                         #GMT - 6 time zone adjust
    $Zone =  -5;                                         #use GMT - 5 during daylight savings

$Seconds = $Seconds  + 3600*$Zone;

print "Seconds since Jan1, 1900 : $Seconds \n\r";

$Days = int((($Seconds >> 7)/675)+1);                #Days since Jan1, 1900     {divide seconds by 86,400 and add 1}
    print "   Days since Jan1, 1900 : $Days \n\r";

$DW = ($Days-1) % 7; 			             #Day of Week               

$Years = int($Days / 365);                           #Years since 1900
    print "  Years since Jan1, 1900 : $Years \n\r";

$Days = $Days % 365;                                 #Days this year

$LeapYears = int($Years / 4);			     #Leap Years since 1900
    $CurrentYear = $Years + 1900 ;                       #Current Year

$Days = $Days - $LeapYears;                          #Leap Year Days Correction

print "          Days this year : $Days \n\r";

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

$count = 1;					     #Routine to determine
     do {                                                #  - The Current Month 
    $Month = 30;                                         #  - The Current Date       
    $c1 = ($count & 1);                                  #
    $c2 = (($count & 8) >>3);                            # from the number of Days
    if ($c1 != $c2) {                                    # passed in the current year 
        $Month = $Month +1;                              
       }
    if ($count == 2) {
        $Month = 28; 
       }

print "Month : $count Days in Month : $Month \n\r";

if ($Days >= $Month) {
       $Days = $Days - $Month;
       if ($Days <= $Month) {
          $CurrentMonth = $count + 1;
          $CurrentDate  = $Days;  
          $count = 12;
          }     
       }
    $count++;
     } until ($count == 13);
    #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

$Seconds = $Seconds - ((($Years * 365)*675) *128);   #Seconds this year
    $SS = $Seconds;
    $MM = int($SS / 60);                                 
    $SS = $SS - ($MM*60);                                #Current Seconds
    $HH = int($MM / 60);                                 
    $MM = $MM - ($HH*60);                                #Current Minutes
    $DD = int($HH / 24);                                 
    $HH = $HH - ($DD*24);                                #Current Hour

print "\n\r";
    print " Date: $CurrentMonth / $CurrentDate / $CurrentYear \n\r";
    print " Time: $HH : $MM : $SS \n\r";

Latest Perl Script: USED to DEBUG
    #!/usr/bin/perl

use IO::Socket::INET;
    $MySocket=new IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerPort=>123,  #open socket
            Proto=>'udp',
            PeerAddr=>'132.163.4.101');

$data =     chr(227) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(148);  #LI/VN/Mode, Stratum, Poll, Precision
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Root Delay
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Root Dispersion
    $data = $data . "LOCL";                             #Reference Identifier
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Reference Timestamp
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Originate Timestamp
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Receive Timestamp
    $data = $data . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0) . chr(0);  #Transmit Timestamp

$MySocket->send($data);			            #Waiting to receive data		
    $MySocket->recv($data,56);                          
    $MySocket->close();                                 #received data close socket

@Chars = split("", $data);

$n1 = ord($Chars[40]);				    #Upper 32 bits of Transmit Timestamp
    $n2 = ord($Chars[41]);
    $n3 = ord($Chars[42]);
    $n4 = ord($Chars[43]);

$Seconds = $n4 + $n3*256 + $n2*65536 + $n1*16777216; #Seconds since Jan1, 1900

$Zone =  -6;                                         #GMT - 6 time zone adjust
    #$Zone =  -5;                                         #use GMT - 5 during daylight savings

$Seconds = $Seconds  + 3600*$Zone;

print "Seconds since Jan1, 1900 : $Seconds \n\r";

$Days = int((($Seconds >> 7)/675)+1);                #Days since Jan1, 1900     {divide seconds by 86,400 and add 1}
    print "   Days since Jan1, 1900 : $Days \n\r";

$Years = int($Days / 365);                           #Years since 1900
    print "  Years since Jan1, 1900 : $Years \n\r";

$Days = $Days % 365;                                 #Days this year

$LeapYears = int($Years / 4);			     #Leap Years since 1900
    $CurrentYear = $Years + 1900 ;                       #Current Year

$Days = $Days - $LeapYears;                          #Leap Year Days Correction

print "   Days so far this year : $Days \n\r\n\r";

$count = 1;					     #Routine to determine
     do {                                                #  - The Current Month 
    $Month = 30;                                         #  - The Current Date       
    $c1 = ($count & 1);                                  #
    $c2 = (($count & 8) >>3);                            # from the number of Days
    if ($c1 != $c2) {                                    # passed in the current year 
        $Month = $Month +1;                              
       }
    if ($count == 2) {
        $Month = 28; 
       }

print "In month $count of this year, there are $Month days. \n\r";

if ($Days <= $Month) {
       $CurrentMonth = $count;
       $CurrentDate  = $Days;  
       $count = 12;
       }

if ($Days > $Month) {
       $Days = $Days - $Month;
       }

$count++;
     } until ($count == 13);

$Seconds = $Seconds - ((($Years * 365)*675) *128);   #Seconds this year
    $SS = $Seconds;
    $MM = int($SS / 60);                                 
    $SS = $SS - ($MM*60);                                #Current Seconds
    $HH = int($MM / 60);                                 
    $MM = $MM - ($HH*60);                                #Current Minutes
    $DD = int($HH / 24);                                 
    $HH = $HH - ($DD*24);                                #Current Hour

print "\n\r";
    print "Current Date: $CurrentMonth/$CurrentDate/$CurrentYear\n\r";
    print "Current Time: $HH:$MM:$SS\n\r";

Output of latest Perl Code:
    SNTP.png
    657 x 707 - 86K
  • oodesoodes Posts: 131
    edited 2013-12-04 01:02
    Having the exact same issue. Yesterday the date and time was crazy. Today the time i correct but the Date is still coming back with what xantos is receiving. 2/1/2014- You are not alone.... :D . I know the NTP website was down temporarily yesterday for maintenance so they have obviously changed something thats affecting the object.
    edited 2013-12-04 04:22
    Thanks Beau that gives me a good place to start troubleshooting. All I'm pretty busy with 9-5 work this week but I'll do my best to post a fix.
    edited 2013-12-04 05:06
    I created code for testing the UDP packet to human readable values. The result is below.
      WriteDebugLine(string("Seconds"), (byte[@DW_HH_MM_SS][0]), true)
      WriteDebugLine(string("Minutes"), (byte[@DW_HH_MM_SS][1]), true)
      WriteDebugLine(string("Hour"), (byte[@DW_HH_MM_SS][2]), true)
      WriteDebugLine(string("Day of week"), (byte[@DW_HH_MM_SS][3]), true)
      WriteDebugLine(string("Day"), (byte[@MM_DD_YYYY][2]), true)
      WriteDebugLine(string("Month"), (byte[@MM_DD_YYYY][3]), true)
      WriteDebugLine(string("Year"), (byte[@MM_DD_YYYY][0]), true)

Initialize
    Seconds..................45
    Minutes..................58
    Hour.....................8
    Day of week..............2
    Day......................229
    Month....................0
    Year.....................222

I'm not sure if there is something goofy with the receive buffer or just a matter of formatting the SNTP packet.

Off to work. I'll continue troubleshooting later.
    edited 2013-12-04 07:01
    I checked through log files of one of the spinnerets I'm running, looking through timestamps for yesterday and today. I didn't have any glitches with the time or date. I only re-synchronize with one of 3 different timer servers around midnight, so I can't tell whether something was up with any of the time servers during the day because I wasn't actively trying to use them.

The Day 229 and Year 222 values from Mike G's debug results ring a bell for some reason. I had a problem like that way back... and I'm having trouble remembering what the deal was. I'm thinking it had something to do with padding values, but I'm not sure. I'll dig through notes and see what I come up with.
    edited 2013-12-04 16:03
    Well, one change I'm going to make is never having the NTP update the clock any more than 1x per MONTH now! That way, if it changes again, my clients only have to set their clock 1x a month instead of daily. I'm making the rounds now to update the firmware and disable that NTP until it gets figured out.

I'm travelling now in fact, so I can't yet see if anything's changed at the NIST site's time server output - but I have some units that send me emails and are scheduled to update their time settings at 2:05am, so I'll see what they do at that time.

Right now, the time seems correct on them, just the date is now 1/31/2014. The date is going backward!

Surely The Doctor is afoot somewhere in all this! :)

Dave
    edited 2013-12-04 16:31
    I'd be surprised if anything changed with regards to what the time server spits out in a packet. If it did change, it's almost got to be a temporary bug. There must be over a billion clients that rely heavily on time servers, so if a permanent change were going to be made to the format of the data or something along those lines, there would have been news stories and all kinds of Smile about it in the media. Not to mention every time server would have to implement the change. But I could certainly be wrong! :)

I see from Beaus' Perl output image that it got 3595111077 as the ntp time value. That corresponds to 2013,dec,04, at 01:57:57 GMT. Ok. is GMT - 6 so looks like he ran that at 19:57 on dec 3rd (local time, not adjusting for DST) - Dunno when he ran the code, but it's probably the correct time value. It's something in the display human time method.
    edited 2013-12-04 16:41
    I'm curious as to how it could be something in a method, since nothing has changed in that method - is there something special about how the NTP time value would have changed between 12/2/2013 and 12/3/2013? Possibly somehow an extra digit, or one less, or...??? When I was thinking it was something I had done to screw up my code, I had tried adjusting buffer sizes, etc, because I had seen before that if I had too few longs available after compile, I got "odd" results in some things - but none of those changes made any difference.

I'll take a look at the SNTP and DisplayHumanTime methods and see if anything stands out to me - but it's not been obvious so far.

Dave
    edited 2013-12-04 17:02
    The only thing different about the ntp value between those dates is 1 second.
    The ntp value at
    Dec 02, 2013 @ 23:59:59 is 3595017599 or %1101_0110_0100_0111_1001_1101_0111_1111
    and
    Dec 03,2013 @ 00:00:00 is 3595017600 or %1101_0110_0100_0111_1001_1101_1000_0000

The LSB is all that changed.
    edited 2013-12-04 17:11
    I wish I knew exactly when the change happened... all I know is that the email sent at 2:00am on 12/3 was good, and the emails subsequent to that were a mess (timestamp-wise anyway). Something changed between 2:06am 12/2 and 2:05am 12/3, and if it's in the DisplayHumanTime method... I'm not seeing it yet (but that doesn't mean much :-) ).
    edited 2013-12-04 17:55
    Throw a copy of your displayhumantime up and I'll try to have a look. I'm trying to read up on the sntp protocol (again! argggghhhh!)

I see that the "transmit timestamp" begins at byte 44 thru 51 of the udp response packet from the server.

I don't seem to be having any issues with time or data (re-synchronized several times today to check) and my SNTP object uses byte 44 thru 51 of the received packet to do it's magic.

But the SNTP version 2.01 on the google repository is using bytes 48 thru 55. That's confusing me.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2013-12-04 17:57
    Rforbes

"... It's something in the display human time method. " - Agreed, but I am not sure at the moment to get my head around it... perhaps this weekend I can iron it out.
    edited 2013-12-04 18:09
    @Beau,

No worries at all. Errr.. for me, at least! (Just teasin' xanatos!) :)

@Dave,

Wait- scratch my previous response. The transmit time stamp should be in bytes 40 thru 47 of the udp response packet from the server. I didn't look at the RFC 4330 close enough. And if that's the case, I'm REALLY confused because my Smile shouldn't be working and yours shouldn't either.

Here's the rfc: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4330
    edited 2013-12-04 18:29
    Hi,
    Here's my DisplayHumanTime method:
    PUB DisplayHumanTime | Yr, Mo, Dy, Dw, Hr, Mn, Sc  

Sc := byte[@DW_HH_MM_SS][0]
        Mn := byte[@DW_HH_MM_SS][1]
        Hr := byte[@DW_HH_MM_SS][2]
        Dw := byte[@DW_HH_MM_SS][3] 
        Dy := byte[@MM_DD_YYYY][2]
        Mo := byte[@MM_DD_YYYY][3]
        Yr := word[@MM_DD_YYYY][0]

rtc.writeTime(Sc, Mn, Hr, Dw, Dy, Mo, Yr) 'SET THE RTC (second, minute, hour, day, date, month, year)     
        waitcnt(clkfreq/5+cnt)                 

return

And my SNTP 2.01 is attached...

Oh, and this is in my VAR section of httpserver.spin:
    long longHIGH,longLOW,MM_DD_YYYY,DW_HH_MM_SS ' Expected 4-contigous variables (This is for SNTP Object)   

And this is in my initialization section:
      'Set time on power-up
      GetSntp(3, @tempBuff)
      SNTP.GetTransmitTimestamp(Zone,@tempBuff,@LongHIGH,@LongLOW)
      DisplayHumanTime

Scratching my head still...
    edited 2013-12-05 18:25
    Attached is my not so elegant solution. It's dependent on an epoch of 1/1/1900 and 4 year blocks of days (365*4+1) to get close to current date. From there it's brute force.
    edited 2013-12-07 15:19
    I just read through RFC4330... wow... I didn't really pick up much on my first pass except the end parts about what to do/not do when accessing the service. That whole section on the formatting is going to take me several reads with a lot of adjunct learning to even begin to figure out how those of you who have coded SNTP stuff in Spin managed to figure that out.

I am in awe, is all I can say.

I'm home from my tour and back in a development environment where I can play with this stuff again. For now, all but one of the systems I have in the field have been converted to manual time setting. I have code from two of you right now to check out, but until I understand better how the SNTP packet works and how "Human Time" is derived from the packet, I am hesitant to re-enable SNTP on client devices. Of course when I do, it'll be setting the clock once a month, with an end-user control for them to select manual or automatic time setting, just in case the implemented solution fails under some as-yet unforeseen condition again.

If I find anything useful (unlikely) I'll post it here.

Thanks all for your help so far, especially in verifying I was NOT the only one who was seeing this. I spent HOURS debugging my own program changes assuming I had messed something up, since the time stamping had been working for MONTHS prior to the day the timestamping stopped working... :-)

If anyone suddenly has a brilliant thought on these codes - it'd sure be nice!

Dave
    edited 2013-12-07 16:35
    Dave- Sorry for pointing you to rfc 4330. You should read rfc 5905 instead. It obsoletes 4330. Apologies!!

Here's the link to the RFC editor website- every RFC you can think of is there. http://www.rfc-editor.org

And here's RFC 5905. http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5905

In the code I sent you, check the comments in each of the methods starting with method CreateUDPtimeheader. It's called before ANY of the other methods are called in the object.

The SNTP object (all of our versions) has two purposes.

First- the CreateUDPtimeheader method is the method you call to "build" a UDP packet with the appropriate stuff in it to SEND TO a time server. That's ALL this method does. Elsewhere in your program, you're using another method to actually transmit this packet through the wiznet chip on the spinneret.

Second- ALL the remaining methods except HumanTime in this object pull data out of the UDP packet response that we get back from the time server once we contacted it. You're program calls GetTransmitTimestamp to pull the appropriate bytes of data out of the UDP response packet and "do" something with it. You could call GetReceiveTimestamp if you'd prefer, and the idea behind it is the same- to extract specific bytes from the UDP response packet from the server and "do" something with it.

So... once you call GetTransmitTimestamp, what do you "do" with the data it pulls out of the response packet from the time server? Well, the bytes it pulls out of the UDP response packet from the time server have a specific format to the data. It's 64 bits (8 bytes) of data that represent the NTP TIME value at the time the server responded to the initial packet you sent to it. Basically, bytes 40 thru 47 contain the 64 bits of data. The first 32 bits (4 bytes) represent the SECONDS value. The last 32 bits (4 bytes) is the FRACTION value. We're mainly interested in the SECONDS value. It's the number of seconds that has elapsed since Jan 01, 1900 at 00:00:00.

If you look at your GetTransmitTimestamp method, you'll see it's doing some stuff with bytes 40 thru 47...........

Once we get those bytes, we still have to "do" something with them.

The GetTransmitTimestamp does something with those bytes by calling the Humantime method.

The sole purpose of the Humantime method is to take that seconds value and "decode" it to several bytes. Those bytes represent the year, day, month, etc. etc... and their values are numbers we can identify with.

The problem you're having with this object is in the Humantime method or the GetTransmitTimeStamp method. Either the GetTransmitTimeStamp method is using the wrong bytes, or Humantime isn't decoding those bytes correctly, or both.

The version I sent you has thus far worked flawlessly for me, including the daylight savings time feature. I re-synchronize with 1 of 3 timer servers every 24 hours (If the first one doesn't respond, try the next, then the next if needed.) But, it's not as savvy as the other versions in the way it decodes the time- it's a little slower and uses brute force all the way through. It's reliable, but not elegant.

Keep these "broad based concepts" in mind while you're studying the various versions of the sntp object. When in doubt, just ask yourself what the goal is, and these concepts will help keep you straight.

(Look at page 18 of RFC 5905 to see what bits and bytes represent what in the packet we get from the time server.)

Oh, and please accept my sincerest apologies if I've written anything incorrectly in this response. I hope Mike or Beau (or anyone else!) will quickly correct me if I've gotten something wrong here. For your sake AND mine! :)
    edited 2013-12-08 10:47
    Attached is another stab at updating HumanTime. The new HumanTime could use refactoring as there many local variables.

The new method is currently running on the Spinneret manual site. We'll see how it performs over the next week. If all goes well, I'll refactor and update the repo.
    edited 2013-12-08 12:53
    THANKS Mike! For some reason when I read 2.11 it helped me spot 1 stupid issue that I hadn't noticed before. I had forgotten the incoming packet from the time server also includes the ip address and header, meaning the actual data starts at 8th byte. For whatever reason I had started all the methods (get mode, etc) at byte 0 so I've been updating the rtc using bytes 40-47 which contains the receive timestamp instead of the transmit timestamp. Not that there's much difference for my purposes, but it's still nice to finally spot a functioning bug.

That's made me want to make a demo program to pull the bytes out of the whole packet, just to be able to comprehend stuff a little better.
    edited 2013-12-09 12:00
    Forgive my probably very basic questions here, but:

First, in SNTP 2.01, am I misreading something in the GetTransmitTimeStamp Method: Long1 and Long2 get written to by bytes 48-51 and 52-55 respectively, but only Long1 gets passed to HumanTime. Yes/no?
    PUB  GetTransmitTimestamp(Offset,BufferAddress,Long1,Long2)|Temp1
         Temp1 := byte[BufferAddress][48]<<24+byte[BufferAddress][49]<<16
         Temp1 += byte[BufferAddress][50]<<8 +byte[BufferAddress][51]
         long[Long1]:=Temp1
         Temp1 := byte[BufferAddress][52]<<24+byte[BufferAddress][53]<<16
         Temp1 += byte[BufferAddress][54]<<8 +byte[BufferAddress][55]
         long[Long2]:=Temp1     
         'This is the time at which the reply departed the
         'server for the client, in 64-bit timestamp format.
         HumanTime(Offset,Long1)

And lastly, I think I found what amounts to probably an utterly meaningless bug, but in SNTP 2.01,

PUB GetPoll uses byte[BufferAddress][10]

and

PUB GetPrecision ALSO uses byte[BufferAddress][10]

From what I read at the head of SNTP 2.01 - GetPrecision should be using byte 11.

I changed this in my code, but of course it made no difference to anything that I could see, anyway. Am I correct in this, or is there a reason that they should both use byte 10?

Thanks,

Dave
    edited 2013-12-09 12:58
    OK, I found where a small change in the HumanTime Method in SNTP 2.01 returns the CORRECT DATE now... Below I have included the full HumanTime method, but the actual area in which a change results in a good date and time is here:
    PUB HumanTime(Offset,TimeStampAddress)|i,Seconds,Days,Years,LYrs,DW,DD,HH,MM,SS,Month,Date,Year
        Seconds := long[TimeStampAddress] + Offset * 3600
        Days    := ((Seconds >>= 7)/675) + 1 '<- Days since Jan 1, 1900 ... divide by 86,400 and add 1

DW      := (Days-1)//7+1    '   DW      := (Days-1)//7+1    'DW      := (Days-1) // 7

Years := (Days / 365) - 1   '   Number of Days THIS year and  ''***** Added the " - 1 " and date is good.

So after trying a bunch of different stuff and seeing how it changes the output date string (the time string has been good), I found that just adding a -1 to the line that calculates years to get a line of Years := (Days / 365) - 1 results not only in the year going from 2014 back to 2013, but also the month and date are now good!

Now I in no way believe that this is a "fix" - because I suspect that this will work until some future date in which the timestamp returned by the server will calculate out wrong with that -1 in there. But it does make the whole string good - for now - so I feel, perhaps wrongly, that I am getting closer to understanding where stuff is happening in these codes.

In previous posts I have seen actual return data specified as it would appear in the Transmit Time Stamp, such as:

Dec 02, 2013 @ 23:59:59 is 3595017599 or %1101_0110_0100_0111_1001_1101_0111_1111
    and
    Dec 03,2013 @ 00:00:00 is 3595017600 or %1101_0110_0100_0111_1001_1101_1000_0000

If I were to manually assign/overwrite these values into the values received for TransmitTimeStamp in SNTP 2.01, would I be able to manually simulate various times and dates to test code for proper function at various random future dates?

Thanks.

Here's the full HumanTime Method from SNTP 2.01:
    PUB HumanTime(Offset,TimeStampAddress)|i,Seconds,Days,Years,LYrs,DW,DD,HH,MM,SS,Month,Date,Year
        Seconds := long[TimeStampAddress] + Offset * 3600
        Days    := ((Seconds >>= 7)/675) + 1 '<- Days since Jan 1, 1900 ... divide by 86,400 and add 1

DW      := (Days-1)//7+1    '   DW      := (Days-1)//7+1    'DW      := (Days-1) // 7

Years := (Days / 365) - 1   '   Number of Days THIS year and  '**'*** Added the " - 1 " and date is good.
        Days -= (Years * 365)       '   number of years since.

LYrs := Years / 4           '<- Leap years since 1900
        Year := Years + 1900        '<- Current Year                   

Days -= LYrs                '<- Leap year Days correction
                                    '   for THIS year

repeat
          repeat i from 1 to 12     '<- Calculate number of days 
            Month := 30             '   in each month.  Stop if
             if i&1 <> (i&8)>>3     '   Month has been reached
               Month += 1
            if i == 2
               Month := 28 
            if Days =< Month        '<- When done, Days will contain
               quit                 '   the number of days so far this 
            if Days > Month         '   month.  In other words, the Date.
               Days -= Month     

{
            if Days > Month         '<- When done, Days will contain
               Days -= Month        '   the number of days so far this 
            if Days =< Month        '   month.  In other words, the Date.
               quit     
    }

until Days =< Month
        Month := i                  '<- Current Month               
        Date  := Days               '<- Current Date

SS := long[TimeStampAddress] + Offset * 3600
        SS := SS -(((Years*365)*675)<<7) '<- seconds this year

MM := SS / 60                        '<- minutes this year
        SS := SS - (MM * 60)                 '<- current seconds

HH := MM / 60                        '<- hours this year
        MM := MM - (HH * 60)                 '<- current minutes

DD := HH / 24                        '<- days this year
        HH := HH - (DD * 24)                 '<- current hour

DD -= LYrs                           '<- Leap year Days correction
                                             '   for THIS year

long[TimeStampAddress][2] := Month<<24+Date<<16+Year   'Giving bad date
        long[TimeStampAddress][3] := DW<<24+HH<<16+MM<<8+SS    'Giving good time                                 

'    DD is redundant but I included it for completion...
    '    If you subtract the number of days so far this year from
    '    DD and add one, you should get today's date.  This is calculated
    '    from another angle above from Days

edited 2013-12-09 14:08
    Dave- your questions:

long1 = yes. Only long1 gets passed to humantime.

GetPrecision= yes, it should be using byte[11]. I sent you an email earlier about this.

If you're using that method, it matters. If you're just using GetTransmitTimestamp, it doesn't. The method has the same goal as the GetTransmitTimestamp: to pull specific data out of the udp packet response from the time server and let you do something with it.

From what you've said about your application, you are NOT using that method. The only three methods you use at all from the sntp object are the CreateUDPTimeHeader, GetTransmitTimestamp and Humantime.
    The rest of the methods can be commented out- they aren't needed at all to get the rtc clock updated.

Lastly- you can easily create a test program for your HumanTime method.
    edited 2013-12-09 14:47
    Hi Robert, and thanks.

I'm trying to bull my way through this code... I'm determined to figure out HOW it works, rather than rely on someone else to fix it for me :-) So as yet I haven't yet really looked at the other examples - I'm saving those for when I run out of options.

What I did is as I described above - I manually substituted the TransmitTimestamp value for the date code of 3595017600. I checked the binary you had given for that date/time and verified it as correct, so I replaced the BufferAddress values with the binary as follows:
    PUB  GetTransmitTimestamp(Offset,BufferAddress,Long1,Long2)|Temp1

Temp1 := (%11010110<<24) + (%01000111<<16)
         Temp1 += (%10011101<<8) + (%01111111)

'Temp1 := byte[BufferAddress][48]<<24+byte[BufferAddress][49]<<16
         'Temp1 += byte[BufferAddress][50]<<8 +byte[BufferAddress][51]

long[Long1]:=Temp1

And the date returned by HumanTime is 12/02/2013 18:59:59 - which should be Dec 03,2013 @ 00:00:00, correct?

I verified the date as 12/3 by my own calculations as shown below. So the issue must be in the HumanTime method - would you concur?

My math (numbers in parentheses are actual calculator values, shown as truncated since the Propeller doesn't pay any attention to anything after the decimal point):

3595017600 / 31,536,000 = 113(.9972602739726) years = 113 years in Propeller Terms

LYrs = Years/4 = 28(.49931506849315) = 28 in Propeller Terms

Days = seconds / 86400 secs/day = 41,609

Days THIS year = Days - (years * 365) = 113 * 365 = 41,609 - 41,245 = 364,

Less Leap Year day count = 364 - 28 = 336

Day 336.

January 31
    F 28
    M 31
    A 30
    M 31
    J 30
    J 31
    A 30
    S 30
    O 31
    N 30 333
    D 31

336 is Dec 3

Add years to 1900 = 1900 + 113 = 2013

3595017600 is December 3 2013.
    edited 2013-12-09 15:33
    Dave- here's a simple test file. Check it out and play with it, it's as simple to use as it gets.

The date and time you got of 12/02/2013 18:59:59 is almost correct. It should have returned 12/02/2103 @ 19:00:00 because I'm pretty sure you have your time zone of -5 which is the offset parameter passed to the humantime method. That's why it didn't return Dec 03. It subtracts 5 hours for you.

Looking through your math stuff now. Going over and over the various revisions and trials is getting old :)
    edited 2013-12-09 15:52
    Dave- this line:
    Days = seconds / 86400 secs/day = 41,609

If you add something like
    remainder = seconds // 86400

you'll have your remaining seconds that are still unaccounted for. That value can be used to figure out the hour, minute, second.
    edited 2013-12-09 16:11
    Robert,

Thanks, that's where I was looking to head next, your timing is perfect.

On that 86400 issue, this line:
    Days    := ((Seconds >>= 7)/675) + 1     '<- Days since Jan 1, 1900 ... divide by 86,400 (sec/day) and add 1 

Is shifting right 7 bits and dividing by 675 the exact same as dividing by 86,400? When I tried dividing by 86400 straight, I got a date of 1899. I'm assuming this is because 86,400 is greater than a 16 bit word, or...???

Thanks. I appreciate your watching this thread. I've been going through this pretty much all day now. I know it gets OLD fast! :-)

Dave
    edited 2013-12-09 16:32
    When I tried dividing by 86400 straight, I got a date of 1899.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this? What exact numbers and code did you use?

And uhhh... no. They're not quite the same.

Suppose seconds = 20_000_000

seconds / 86400 = 231

(seconds >>= 7) / 675 = 231 .... and +1 = 232