Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SimpleIDE problem — Parallax Forums

SimpleIDE problem

johnprokojohnproko Posts: 121
edited 2014-01-06 11:34 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello all. i just started learning C programming language for the propeller education kit. i have a mac. downloaded simpleide and updated my drivers. put learn folder to library folder and workspace to workspace folder. loader delay is at 1, reset signal cfg.
wrote this :
#include "simpletools.h"int main ()
{
print ("hello");
}
but when i tried to upload it says "CANT CREATE OUTPUT DIRECTORY FOR BUILD"

there is also the problem with choosing a library. it says again "LLM memory model library not found in /User/george/opt/parallax/Workspace/Learn/Examples/CIntro/Basics"

i know i havent done something correctly but what?
please please help me!
thank you in advance!!!

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-12-03 11:41
    Hi. Sorry your having trouble.

I really want to help you and understand what went wrong.

The installer should put opt/parallax into /opt/parallax not /Users/george/opt/parallax.
    Did you have to choose a location with the installer?

On first program run, SimpleIDE should create a workspace in /Users/george/Documents/SimpleIDE.
    SimpleIDE should automatically point to Learn and Workspace folders there at startup.

Please open Properties and point to the Documents/SimpleIDE folders.
    Then try to open and build /Users/george/Documents/SimpleIDE/My Projects/Welcome.side

I suggest putting all of your new projects in some folder under /Users/george/Documents.
  • johnprokojohnproko Posts: 121
    edited 2013-12-03 13:51
    running the installation process again.
    i can install in all users, only me or on a specific disk.
    choose the specific disk because if i point to only me or all users it goes and install at the previous directory.
    this solves partially the problem because now it accepts the preferences on the beginning, (changed loader delay to 1 and reset signal to cfg).
    i cannot still open a library program (side programs), i see them but cannot click them (they are fainted). when i try to upload it, it starts to build the program but eventually says "build failed. check build status for errors". after clearing settings to give it a shot it shows "cant create output directory for build"

"On first program run, SimpleIDE should create a workspace in /Users/george/Documents/SimpleIDE.
    SimpleIDE should automatically point to Learn and Workspace folders there at startup."
    everything is put to /opt/parallax/...

"Please open Properties and point to the Documents/SimpleIDE folders.
    Then try to open and build /Users/george/Documents/SimpleIDE/My Projects/Welcome.side"
    nope nothing, i cannot choose then, like i said they are fainted

"I suggest putting all of your new projects in some folder under /Users/george/Documents."
    this i dont really get it... :-(

im really sorry if im troubling you, but there is nowhere else to ask :-)

edited 2013-12-03 14:08
    So you ended up with options to install for all users and single user?
    Install for all users is the best choice.

Do these steps and paste information to a new post so that I can understand what you have:

1) Open SimpleIDE, then click Menu Bar -> Tools -> Properties.
    2) On Properties, select the "General" tab.
    3) Click "Clear Settings", then "Cancel".
    4) Close SimpleIDE, then reopen SimpleIDE.
    5) About and other windows should show up.
    6) Close the SimpleIDE v0-9-45 box and the Hint box.
    7) On the Properties "C Compiler", copy/paste the entries a post here.
    8) Close Properties.
    9) Verify the Welcome program is open.
    10) Build the Welcome program.
    11) Open Build status with the little hammer button at the bottom.
    12) Control+Click to select all. Control+Click to copy all, then post the result here.

Thanks.
    edited 2013-12-03 14:47
    it does the job whether you put it on user or all.
    did all the steps, and managed to build (hammer button) it BUT it cannot be sent to the board and now says that there is no propeller chip...
    grrrrrrrrr!!!!
    edited 2013-12-03 15:32
    ok, i have tried out windows as well and probably it is not a problem of simpleide anymore but something from the processor :-/ i will post if i solve this out
    edited 2013-12-03 17:38
    johnproko wrote: »
    it does the job whether you put it on user or all.
    did all the steps, and managed to build (hammer button) it BUT it cannot be sent to the board and now says that there is no propeller chip...
    grrrrrrrrr!!!!

If you have a board connected via usb, and have the ftdi drivers installed, you can click on the serial port box and see a usb serial device.
    edited 2013-12-05 07:04
    it is a hardware fault. time to buy a new propeller chip :-)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-12-05 09:14
    johnproko wrote: »
    it is a hardware fault. time to buy a new propeller chip :-)

We'll cut you some slack. E-mail me your shipping address and I'll get you some replacement DIPs right away.

It's great to see the C compiler being used with PE Kit discrete circuitry.

Ken Gracey
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-12-05 09:42
    jazzed wrote:
    If you have a board connected via usb, and have the ftdi drivers installed, you can click on the serial port box and see a usb serial device.
    I think the OP may have overlooked this step. It's probably the most frequent source of error for the students in my class -- next to missing semicolons, perhaps.

-Phil
    edited 2013-12-23 05:36
    Hello everyone. Well i have tried out a new processor and works like a charm. Now i am searching for connectivity of sensor to the breadboard and how to learn C. thank you all very much!
  • TymkrsTymkrs Posts: 539
    edited 2014-01-02 17:16
    Try checking out http://www.tymkrs.com/shows/category/first-c/ - it's a podcast where we go through the tutorials provided by Parallax (and some non Parallax ones) to learn how to program in C from a very basic level. Good luck, and glad it worked!
    edited 2014-01-06 06:01
    Tymkrs wrote: »
    Try checking out http://www.tymkrs.com/shows/category/first-c/ - it's a podcast where we go through the tutorials provided by Parallax (and some non Parallax ones) to learn how to program in C from a very basic level. Good luck, and glad it worked!

i have seen your podcast and it is really good. thus i hope you later have video as well.
  • edited 2014-01-06 11:34
    ...Now i am searching for connectivity of sensor to the breadboard and how to learn C. thank you all very much!

Here are some learn.parallax.com tutorial links for your search. There's lots more material in the queue for this new year, so check back periodically.

Propeller C Tutorial Series
    http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-tutorials

Language Tutorials

Basics
    http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-start-simple (11 pages)

Functions + Multicore
    http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-functions

Sensor Tutorials

The Simple Circuits Tutorial (8 pages) introduces techniques for reading sensors with on/off, voltage, and RC/QT outputs. See Check Pushbutton, Measure Volts and Sense Light.
    http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-simple-circuits

The Simple Devices Tutorial (also 8 pages) some sensor examples that use libraries. If you are interested in looking inside these libraries to see the code that does the work, here is an example with the Ping))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor. You can use the same approach for any other library: (1) Use SimpleIDE to open ...Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Sensor/libping/libping.side. (2) Click the the Show Project Manager button, it's in the bottom/left corner of the SimpleIDE window. (3) Click ping.c. The C source code will appear in a new tab. In this case, you will see how the library uses libsimpletools' low, pulse_out and pulse_in functions to read the sensor.

The ActivityBot tutorials use contact, light, and infrared sensors for object detection.
    http://learn.parallax.com/activitybot