Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RPM sensor what are you using? — Parallax Forums

RPM sensor what are you using?

jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
edited 2013-11-21 05:56 in Accessories
Im looking for a small sensor to measure RPM of a small gas motor. Max rpm will be 8000.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-11-20 10:52
    It probably really will depend on the configuration, but a Hall-Effect Sensor comes to mind. There are a couple of ways to implement this.

Second thought would be a photo-interrupter depending on the configuration of the output shaft.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2013-11-20 12:19
    Hall effect that's the word I was looking for.

I just want to detect the steel set screw on the pulley.

Can the propeller input handle the high rpm input?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-11-20 12:46
    The Propeller can easily handle low frequency stuff like that. In fact I often use one of the internal counters to counter externals pulses.
  • garyggaryg Posts: 420
    edited 2013-11-20 23:02
    Chris
    Which Hall Effect Sensor are you referring to?
    I checked out the Hall Effect Sensor that Parallax offers, but it appears that it requires use of a magnet on the
    rotating shaft.
    I'm thinking that the sensor that Parallax offers will not sense a screw head.
    In the documentation for the http://www.parallax.com/product/605-00005
    I've been looking for something that will detect metal like gear teeth or a screw head, but have not been able to find one.

The only thing I've had success with so far is a photo transistor and white duct tape.

I'm sure there is something out there, but both jdolecki and myself are not easily or with much difficulty able to find something
    like this.

It appears that component selection from a 50 page Digi-Key catalog no longer exists.
    I really miss that.
    At least it got you started.
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 672
    edited 2013-11-21 05:56
    Typically a VR (variable reluctance) sensor is used to detect ferrous objects as you describe -
    most cars use at least two to obtain crankshaft and camshaft positions.
    The tricky part with a VR sensor is that the output has to be conditioned as
    1) their output varies directly with the rpm so can be anywhere from a few 10s
    of millivolts to 100+ volts in a sine wave.
    2) The actual instant of nearest proximity between the sensor and the moving object
    is at the point where the generated sine wave passes zero.

There are various conditioning chips that handle the voltage swings and also
    detect zero-crossing and emit a logic level pulse that your microcontroller
    can use. I like LM1815 It's pros are that it's cheap, bulletproof and works
    very reliably when set up properly. The cons are that it needs a couple of
    discrete Rs and Cs. You can get industrial quality VR sensors from your
    local auto parts store. I think the one I'm using on a small IC engine was
    less than $20. If you need further info I'm around so feel free to ask away.