Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Vibration problem with Stamp 2 — Parallax Forums

Vibration problem with Stamp 2

MattF1CMattF1C Posts: 2
edited 2013-11-27 14:19 in BASIC Stamp
I have been building controllers for model airplanes for many years useing Stamp 2s. Some of them are used in models with motors that run at around 34k rpms.

I have found that some of these controllers work on the bench but stop as soon as I start the motor. Even after I stop the motor the Stamp is still dead, but it has 5V power. If I cycle the 5v power then the stamp will start again. I have found that in some cases covering the Stamp and all the wires connected to the Stamp in epoxy will eliminate the problem. But this does not work in all cases. Recently I used a Stamp 2 PE for this application and had the same problem.

How do I eliminate this problem?

Comments

• davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2013-11-14 16:18
    Hello MattF1C - welcome to the Forum!

Out of curiosity, do you have a scope available to view the status of the Stamp's reset pin? I'm wondering if it's getting hit with electrical noise when the motors are running.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-11-14 16:35
    Double check: electric or gas motors?
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2013-11-14 20:07
    erco wrote: »
    Double check: electric or gas motors?

...deeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr - that could rule out reset problems, huh?

I've become so used to people using them new fangled eeelektrik motorotors.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-11-14 20:38
    Are there gas motors that run at 34K RPM? Tha'ts kinda scary!

-Phil
  • LtechLtech Posts: 378
    edited 2013-11-14 23:58
    Extra capacity close on power input (close to stamp pins). To remove electrical noise from big motors ?
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,752
    edited 2013-11-15 14:26
    Do you have capacitors across the Stamp power pins?
  • MattF1CMattF1C Posts: 2
    edited 2013-11-27 14:19
    Yes it is a gas motor. It is a high performance race motor. There is a small Cap between power and ground. In addition Power is supplied from a RC voltage regulator and a 2 cell LiPo pack. Typical RC model parts. Also there is a RC receiver and two servos in the system. All on the same 5V power. The Stamp reset pin is not high or low no connection.

I thought I had found the problem. The stamp is running in a ready state while I start the motor then I have to push two buttons to change the stamp control. I disconnected the buttons and the stamp was still running after I ran the gas motor and stopped it. Then I discovered that the the stamp stopped or was running intermittenly while the motor runs then restarted after the motor stopped.