Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Software and drivers for an old scope? — Parallax Forums

Software and drivers for an old scope?

jdegejdege Posts: 4
edited 2014-02-18 09:39 in Accessories
It's been a number of years since I did much with electronics. I had to pack it all away when I moved, and my gear has been sitting in boxes. I've become interested in a new project, though, and for it I need an oscilloscope.

Back in the day, I bought a Parallax USB Oscilloscope, and ran it of an old WinXP laptop, with no problems. I still have the scope, but I no longer have the laptop or the software.

Looking at the Parallax site now, I don't see the old scope. What I do see is the PropScope USB Oscilloscope, which is visibly different in appearance.

That is, this is what is for sale now:
32220b.png
, and this is what I have:
USB_oscilloscope.jpg

I've tried downloading and installing the drivers and software associated with the new PropScope, but it doesn't seem to recognize my old scope.

Is the original software and drivers still available for download? Will they run on Win7?

Or do I need to buy a new scope?
640 x 416 - 47K
1000 x 1000 - 847K

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2013-11-12 22:50
    Welcome Back to the Forum!

Let me know if the attached software will work for you. I am not sure about your other question regarding Windows 7.
  • jdegejdege Posts: 4
    edited 2013-11-13 05:00
    Thank you for that. I was able to download those files, and to try to install them.

Unfortunately, the installer says the software requires Windows 2000 or XP, and refuses to proceed.

Thanks for your help, anyway.
    edited 2013-11-13 07:41
    Just to see, I tried running the installer using WinXP SP2 compatibility, and the software looked like it installed correctly. I then tried to run the software using WinXP SP2 compatibility, and it loaded OK, but I could not get it to see the scope.

Fortunately, I did manage to find my old laptop - it's running Win2000, which shows you how long ago this was. (I bought it used from a co-worker because I knew it wouldn't be long until I'd not be able to find a laptop with a real RS232 port). I should be able to get started on my new project, using the old laptop.
  • mojorizingmojorizing Posts: 249
    edited 2013-11-15 17:04
    edited 2013-11-15 20:55
    That installed without problems, but it isn't recognizing the scope. The old software, running on my old laptop, does, so I can move forward with my little project. (Maybe, if I'm suddenly not so broke, I'll shell out for something more current.)

Thanks for the help, anyway.
  • mycroftmycroft Posts: 1
    edited 2014-02-18 03:26
    I've just registered in order to find information about my old scope too. I bought USB Oscilloscope 28014 about 18 months ago and have finally got around to using it.

There is absolutely no information on the Parallax website. Why not? Are you ashamed of it? Completely ignoring old hardware doesn't give me a good feeling about your product support.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-02-18 03:48
    The product sheet and the older software is in post #4.

I have attached the older "Understanding Signals" book which uses the 28014 Scope.
    edited 2014-02-18 09:19
    mycroft,

Welcome to the forum!

Your information request can be found here:
    http://www.parallax.com/downloads/usb-oscilloscope-software

Doing a search for "USB Oscilloscope" and scrolling down to "USB Oscilloscope Software" allows you to find the page linked above.
    edited 2014-02-18 09:28
    mycroft,

Welcome to the forum!

Your information request can be found here:
    http://www.parallax.com/downloads/usb-oscilloscope-software

Doing a search for "USB Oscilloscope" and scrolling down to "USB Oscilloscope Software" allows you to find the page linked above.

Thanks for that link Beau.

I would have thought product number 28014 would have brought that up, but it does not.
    edited 2014-02-18 09:35
    Publison,

"I would have thought product number 28014 would have brought that up, but it does not." - Yes, it should, but with the migration to the new Web server some things have not fully been migrated.
    edited 2014-02-18 09:39
    Publison,

"I would have thought product number 28014 would have brought that up, but it does not." - Yes, it should, but with the migration to the new Web server some things have not fully been migrated.

Tell Bump to get on that...STAT. :)