Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Altimeter MS5607 Operating Specs (High Altitude Balloon) — Parallax Forums

Altimeter MS5607 Operating Specs (High Altitude Balloon)

aparis1983aparis1983 Posts: 22
edited 2014-06-26 16:20 in Accessories
The operational temperature for this sensor is -40 to 185 degrees Farenheit. Has anyone tested these below the -40 threshold? I'm using this sensor on a high altitude balloon. From 30,000 feet and above its below -40 and can go as low as -70. I'm using this module mainly for altitude...temperature would have been a plus. My question is if I would still get a barometric reading at below the -40 threshold? Or is it only the thermometer that locks up?
I'm thinking I might need to keep the sensor well insulated inside the capsule but this would mean I would probably get a barometric reading with the slightly higher pressure inside the capsule.

Andrew

Comments

• Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2013-11-12 13:16
    The pressure inside an insulated capsule should be the same as on the outside. Unless you're capsule is completely airtight there should be enough air leakage to keep the inside pressure the same as the outside.
  • LevLev Posts: 182
    edited 2013-11-12 18:26
    aparis1983 wrote: »
    The operational temperature for this sensor is -40 to 185 degrees Farenheit. Has anyone tested these below the -40 threshold? I'm using this sensor on a high altitude balloon. From 30,000 feet and above its below -40 and can go as low as -70. I'm using this module mainly for altitude...temperature would have been a plus. My question is if I would still get a barometric reading at below the -40 threshold? Or is it only the thermometer that locks up?
    I'm thinking I might need to keep the sensor well insulated inside the capsule but this would mean I would probably get a barometric reading with the slightly higher pressure inside the capsule.

Andrew

We have sent this sensor up to about 105k feet. As I recall it stopped providing any useful data at about 60k feet on ascent, then started working again on descent at about the same altitude. I believe the baro pressure dropped below the specs for the sensor. I'll get the data files together for you tomorrow if you like - I haven't looked at since last summer.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2013-11-13 12:42
    Interesting...
    The sensor itself is supposed to go down to 10mb (=100kPa). At altitude 60000 feet, the pressure should be around 70mb, within range. The response in both pressure and temperature becomes nonlinear at low temperatures, and there is second order correction that has to be applied in firmware. One correction below 20°C and another on top of that below -15°C. When I did a version for the BASIC Stamp, I did the <20°C correction but never got around to the lower temperature. I'm not sure if that would help, but it is something to consider.
  • LevLev Posts: 182
    edited 2013-11-13 15:48
    Tracy is right. It was an onboard GPS unit and the backup altimeter that that dropped out. I retrieved the data file and made a summary graph of the data we were able to acquire. The graphs are attached. The temperature measurements are from inside the instrument enclosure that was heated by the power dissipated by the electronics, and solar radiation heating at high altitude. The pressure altitude dropped out at about 24,000 m. We are not sure why the MS5607 gave us such "noisy" altitude values at about 5500 s and 8000 s, but suspect electrical issues associated with arcing at high altitude. We were also running a high voltage Geiger counter!

P.S. The raw data shows the MS5607 recorded pressure down to 9 mb.
    964 x 522 - 81K
    573 x 382 - 40K
  • aparis1983aparis1983 Posts: 22
    edited 2014-05-22 20:24
    Hi,
    Any idea how to make these two corrections for temperatures below 20 celsius and -15 celsius for the code below? Currently, this code displays altitude and temperature on a serial LCD and logs this data in a Micro SD card.
    CON
       _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
       _xinfreq = 5_000_000
       sd_DO = 22
       sd_CLK = 23
       sd_DI = 24
       sd_CS = 25
       TX_PIN = 2
       BAUD = 19_200
       START_ALT = 20             
    OBJ
       sdfat : "fsrw"   
       pst : "Parallax Serial Terminal"
       LCD : "FullDuplexSerial.spin"
       alt : "29124_altimeter"
    PUB start | a , t , mount
      LCD.start(TX_PIN, TX_PIN, %1000, 19_200)                    
      waitcnt(clkfreq / 100 + cnt)                                
      mount := \sdfat.mount_explicit (sd_DO, sd_CLK, sd_DI, sd_CS)
      LCD.tx(17)
      if mount < 0
            lcd.str( string( 13, "Failed to mount", 13 ) )        
            abort
      lcd.str(string( 13, "SD card found & mounted", 13) )        
      alt.start(alt#QUICKSTART, alt#BACKGROUND)                   
      alt.set_resolution(alt#HIGHEST)                             
      alt.set_altitude(alt.m_from_ft(START_ALT * 100))            
      sdfat.popen( string("Data.csv"),"w")
      repeat
        a := alt.altitude(alt.average_press)                        
        lcd.str(string("Alt:"))                                   
        lcd.str(alt.formatn(a, alt#TO_FEET,8))                        
        sdfat.popen( string("Data.csv"),"a") 
        sdfat.pputs(alt.formatn(a, alt#TO_FEET,8))
        lcd.str(string("Temp:"))                                                     
        lcd.str(alt.formatn(t, alt#TO_DEGF,8))                    
        t := alt.current_temp
        sdfat.pputs(alt.formatn(t, alt#TO_DEGF,8))
        sdfat.pputs(string(" ",13,10))
        sdfat.pclose    
        LCD.tx(13)
        waitcnt(clkfreq * 5 + cnt)

edited 2014-06-04 18:34
    Hey Lev,
    So I launched the high altitude balloon last weekend, and I got some very interesting readings. I'm sure you'll recognize the pattern. It replicates your readings (in the altitude, temperature graph you uploaded) almost exactly. Just as with your readings I had a spike starting at roughly 20,000 meters all the way to 40,000 meters, back down to 20k, then a flat line at about 23,000 meters with another spike. It's in essence a mirror image of the same errors you got. I don't think arcing would explain the exact same behaviors in both our readings.

It was pretty warm in my capsule (never dropped below freezing). This was due to overzealous insulation (I added multiple layers of thermal blanketing both inside and outside). Unfortunately, it was so hot in the capsule that both GoPro cameras shut off due to overheating at around 10,000 feat. They're programmed to shut off at 60 celsius. Inside the capsule it reached 45 degrees, but I have no doubts the actual cameras may have easily reached 60.

What else do you think may be causing these crazy readings and the flatline?

Andres

Data.png
    746 x 474 - 22K
    edited 2014-06-05 10:21
    That has the hallmarks of a computation error. It should be possible to probe by running in fake raw data near the critical point to see if that is the case.

Lev, I see your P.S. that the '5607 collected raw pressure data down to 9mb. Do you have a complete file of the raw pressure and temperature data to compare with the subsequent math?
    edited 2014-06-05 16:26
    Hi Tracy Allen,
    That's a good idea to try running it with a fake starting altitude. However, I encountered something awkward. I set the starting altitude to 66,450 feet (the approximate altitude at which the first spike occurs), and the LCD displayed 6,960 feet. I tried various starting altitudes going all the way down to 6,960 with the same result every time. So the altitude is capped at 6,960 feet and works fine below this.
    I tried to see if I would get the same results in meters (2,121 meters = 6,690 feet), and oddly enough it's capped at 646 meters instead. I have no explanation. Currently going through the sensor's documentation to see if I can find anything.
    I'm using the exact same code that I submitted in me second to last post.

Andres
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,747
    edited 2014-06-05 16:46
    Did you try using more than one sensor? Maybe that sensor has an issue.
    edited 2014-06-05 17:34
    It is actually the second MS5607 altimeter I've had shipped to me. The first one came factory defective; whereby I would get false readings of some 3,000 meters below sea level.
    edited 2014-06-05 21:36
    Parallax makes quality products and occasionally bad product gets released. You might want to ask Parallax for a few samples to test.

Do you get the same results on another Propeller set-up and what about other people?
    edited 2014-06-06 05:39
    I'm going to try to see if the issue can be fixed with the one I currently have. Lev (up above) had the same behaviors in his altitude readings.

This morning I also tested the 6,960 feet threshold by setting the starting altitude at 6,958 feet and seeing if I could get a reading above that by going up a flight of stairs. It does seem to work. So, at this point it looks like there's a cap of 6,960 feet for the starting altitude but can go above that after it's running. I'm a little more confused now.

Andres
    edited 2014-06-06 08:15
    Setting the starting altitude to 6958' isn't going to test the low-level math that converts pressure and temperature to altitude. The low-level math starts with the raw values returned by the sensor, D1 and D2, and then crunches them using the 6 parameters stored in the eeprom. It is the crunching of the raw values that is tricky. That is why I asked Lev if he logged the raw values as well as the computed altitude.
  • c07Brian.Kesterc07Brian.Kester Posts: 36
    edited 2014-06-16 10:41
    I should be able to test this sensor on a balloon here soon and I can let you know the results. I plan on recording the raw D1, D2 values as well as the calculated temp, pressure, and altitude readings. If we're able to recover, I'll post my results. The chip I plan to send will be programmed in C on a Propeller Activity Board, but it should still give an idea of sensor capabilities. And my C code was largely based on the SPIN code, though I made a few mods. It includes the 2nd order calculations, but uses a linear interpolation for the altitude instead of a cubic one. I also used the stratosphere model for my altitude table above 11000m, where I think the demo SPIN code uses the troposphere model for the entire range. Instead of a starting altitude, I use a local pressure measurement corrected to sea-level since we have a close weather station.

Another thing to consider for the altitude readings is to look at the code for the altimeter and how it does the cubic interpolation to make sure the code isn't trying to access a value outside the index of the altitude table. I got the impression it might do that at very high altitudes... like the ones you might see on a high altitude balloon...
    edited 2014-06-16 14:08
    Brian,

Can you send up multiple boards or add another sensor to your current board?

Here is code for using an SD card:
    http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-simple-devices/sd-card-data

Here is how to use the Propeller's other cogs:
    http://learn.parallax.com/multicore-approaches
    edited 2014-06-17 08:08
    Can you send up multiple boards or add another sensor to your current board?
    I assume you mean having multiple MS5607's? I could potentially send up multiples in a future launch, but I only have a couple hours before they pack up and prepare the balloon capsules for this round. This is part of an academic institution and we'll definitely be launching more balloons. Depending on how this launch goes, I can try something else for a future launch.

The current setup is a parallax activity board, using SPI protocol and programmed in Propeller C. I am recording D1, D2, calculated temperature, and calculated pressure on an SD card. By recording D1 and D2, I can fully post-process the data and compare it to what I'm calculating on board. If you have any suggestions I would easily be able to incorporate in the next couple hours, I would be open to trying something...
    edited 2014-06-17 08:50
    Time stamp?

That's great that you're recording D1 and D2 as well as the calculated values. That could help with the glitch that others have seen at high altitude. Maybe something in the calculation. Interesting thought about the cubic interpolation. It seems to me linear interpolation should be fine. Altitude vs pressure is not a wild curve, and it is squishy anyway.
    edited 2014-06-17 09:31
    Time stamp?
    I was actually just thinking about a time stamp, Tracy, and I'm not exactly sure how to implement it. My reading should all be ~10 sec apart, but it will drift by ms because of the crude way I've implemented the writing to the SD card along with the manual pauses. Basically, I do a 10 pause between readings, then every 10 readings, I record the data from an array onto the SD card to reduce wear and tear on the card. If I have an absolute time stamp at the beginning based on when we turn on, then the relative time between readings, I could have a decent timestamp, but it will be off by more than a couple seconds by landing unless there's a way to use a "system time" on the propeller board or something. I guess I could also add an "if" statement to the loop so that it has a slightly shorter manual pause between readings when it writes to the SD card, but I'm not sure how long it takes to write the array to the card...
    edited 2014-06-17 09:56
    Actually, I just found the mstimer.h in the learning library. Seems like I should be able to develop a decent time stamp, even if each point isn't exactly an even spacing...
    edited 2014-06-17 11:54
    I'm not sure how it would be done in C, but in spin the synchronized waitcnt is a staple for making events happen at precise regular intervals...
    intervalticks := clkfreq  * 10  ' for ten second repeat
      time := cnt
      repeat
          waitcnt(time+=intervalticks)
          ' do something

It gets more complicated if the system has to switch clock frequency in mid-course, say, for power saving. I like to have a real time clock chip on board running on its own 32kHz xtal, so the time and date are always available.

Are you running the altimeter as a background task? Phil's spin code allows the task to run either with a query or in the background with automous sampling and averaging. The filtered reading is very stable. Good for a barometer or for slow changes. For a balloon, I guess you'd want fast response.

The D1 and D2 values should be point-in-time, though, to probe the accuracy of the algorithm, and the pressure and temperature should be calculated at each point in time too. A 5th and 6th field could be added for averaged values.
    edited 2014-06-17 12:50
    Good luck this time but strive to send up multiple sensors in the future.

Parallax sells the DS1302 Real-Time-Clock (RTC) along with the 32 kHz crystal that Tracy mentioned.
    http://www.parallax.com/product/604-00005
    http://www.parallax.com/product/251-03230

Spin Code
    http://obex.parallax.com/object/14

This might be useful - Altimeter with RTC to an LCD
    http://obex.parallax.com/object/608

There are other versions of this chip such as the DS1307 which uses I2C and is used on the Propeller Professional Development Board.
    edited 2014-06-17 13:45
    @ Genetix: This isn't the only sensor we're sending up. It's just the only Parallax-related sensor. The balloon kit also comes with a GPS sensor, camera, and a few other things. I'll take a look at the RTC and see if that would be worth it. Trying to emulate SPIN code with Propeller C can be difficult and I want to keep all of my projects in C, but I'll take a look at the links.

@Tracy: The learning library has a relative timing routine that will return elapsed time. As long as we record the initial time, the relative time will give us the absolute time to compare with our GPS sensor. The code runs the altimeter autonomously and records single data points at 5-sec intervals along with elapsed time from the start. I wrote filtering into the code, but it's commented out because I couldn't think of a good implementation that would still record the raw values without a ballooning data file. Once I am confident the raw data is not needed, it would be easier to implement the filtering. Then I would average several measurements as quickly as possible or just periodically record the filtered value... probably the latter since that is what is recommended by the app note.
    edited 2014-06-17 16:14
    Spin was designed into the Propeller just like the BS2 using PBASIC. Even propeller assembly needs Spin code to get it going.
    C is a recent addition to the Propeller so that's why most code is in Spin. Most new code though is being done in C to meet educator demand.
    Spin is an interpreted and not a compiled language so it's not as fast as compiled C or native machine language.
    I personally think that Spin is much easier to learn than C and gives you a better understanding of how the Propeller should you eventually move to Propeller Assembly.

I don't know if you have ever seen PBASIC because that might be easier to understand than Spin and some PBASIC commands are available in the C library.
    SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUT are actually PBASIC commands but since they are so powerful and easy to use they were added to the Learn library.
    Many very good books were written using the BS2 but unfortunately they are no longer available on the Parallax website. I don't know if they will ever be rewritten to use the Propeller.
    edited 2014-06-18 08:05
    Thanks for the back story, Genetix! I'm definitely one of those with the "educator demands" for C. It's much easier for us to justify using the Parallax boards when we can do the programming in C so that it's a little easier to transfer those skills into "the real world." In fact, there was hesitancy to use the Parallax board to enhance our high-altitude balloons at first because one of the instructors had worked with it before said they had to be programmed "with proprietary software." I was pleasantly surprised to see they had developed the Propeller C functionality.

I have done a little bit of looking at SPIN as I was developing this sensor to see how they got over the 64-bit math issue. It's definitely not horrible to understand, but they do have some operators and functions that can be difficult to emulate for a novice programmer. Actually, even the advanced programmers I asked had issues figuring out how to duplicate the ** operator in SPIN ("Can't you just use floating point?"). I ultimately had to learn how to hand-calculate binary addition and multiplication and write a function completely on my own just to duplicate a simple SPIN operator.
    edited 2014-06-18 17:57
    We launched and recovered the sensor. Unfortunately, the data makes no sense at all. There was an anomaly in the on-board calculations for the 2nd order temperature calculations that I need to look at (calculated results were all over the map prior to temp hitting 20 C), but even in post-processing the raw data, the results make no sense. I have attached the results of the post-processing of the raw data. I did not bother to apply the 2nd order compensation for temperature because it would only affect the first 30 minutes of the data and the initial temperature readings are not reliable anyway (it was turned on inside an air-conditioned building). I'll need to talk to the students about what the setup was and then play around with the sensor setup a little more to try to determine what went wrong. My initial thoughts are that something may have gotten messed up with the wiring as the students tried to cram the sensor into the remaining space on the balloon box. The data gave reliable data prior to this... within 10m of my altitude where I was doing the initial testing and adjusted appropriately in going down the elevator and moving up and down in my hands. I think I'll do another test with the currently loaded version of the programming and then try to clear and reload the program onto the EEPROM and compare. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be open to them.
    1024 x 598 - 53K
    edited 2014-06-19 15:45
    After the on-balloon failure, I ran a few tests with the sensor. First I took it up and down the elevator. Everything seemed to track like I would expect. I then put it into a vacuum chamber and pumped it down to the equivalent of 200,000+ ft. It tracked the commercially programmed pressure sensor almost exactly (except that the commercially-programmed sensor capped out before we reached our final pressure). I will post the results in an edit to this post when I get home... but this whole things is very puzzling. I can only assume that one of the other boards or experiments within the balloon package caused a problem with interference or the unit was mishandled with direct physical pressure on the sensor or loosening of the wires. Everything is attached to the breadboard so it's not necessarily the most secure, but every other test since I got the code working has been successful, so I'm a little baffled. Hoping to take the unit up Pikes Peak this weekend to test it again in real-world conditions before sending it up on another balloon.

UPDATE: Attached are a comparison between the pressure sensor on the balloon kit (commercially programmed), and the MS5607 Module I programmed myself. This seems to prove to me that the sensor is working, The jump in the kit's pressure reading is due to it capping out. The other graph is a comparison of the on-board calculation of altitude using linear interpolation (Alt (ft)) to a calculation on my computer without using interpolation (Alt_Calc (ft)). % Error is less than 1% except in the obvious region where the interpolation is just off the reservation. The reason for this huge error seems to be that the altitude falls between the first and second value on the pre-computed altitude table being used for interpolation. For all values where the altitude is less than the 2nd table value, the error is less than 1%. My next steps are to re-code the 2nd order temperature compensation section and then to see if I can fix this interpolation issue.
    1024 x 488 - 47K
    edited 2014-06-19 16:21
    I didn't like that you said everything got shoved into the balloon since the Activity board is not designed for sturdy construction.

Parallax makes a nice plastic enclosure that goes around their Prop Proto Board. The Prop BOE is the same dimensions as the BS2 BOE but I don't know if the connectors are in the same place. I don't know if you already have a Prop Plug since the Proto Board doesn't have USB built onto it.
    http://www.parallax.com/product/721-32212
    http://www.parallax.com/product/32212

Nice job testing your testing and determining it did not fail. If you get some more sensors that would be a good test to put them through before sending them up.
    Parallax has GPS modules, Accelerometers, a compass module, temperature and humidity sensors, a pressure sensor, some gas sensors, and a Gyroscope module

The accelerometers both have C code already
    http://www.parallax.com/product/28017
    http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-simple-devices/tilt-and-acceleration-mx2125

http://www.parallax.com/product/28526
    http://learn.parallax.com/propeller-c-simple-devices/mma7455-three-axis-accelerometer

edited 2014-06-19 18:43
    Genetix wrote: »
    I didn't like that you said everything got shoved into the balloon since the Activity board is not designed for sturdy construction.

I completely agree. I was not thrilled about it either :) We're looking at adding a casing around future boards, since I see this as the most likely source of failure at the moment.
    Genetix wrote: »
    Nice job testing your testing and determining it did not fail. If you get some more sensors that would be a good test to put them through before sending them up.
    Parallax has GPS modules, Accelerometers, a compass module, temperature and humidity sensors, a pressure sensor, some gas sensors, and a Gyroscope module
    I think I have all those sensors already, on a prioritized list to get them working. So far, I've gotten data from the gyroscope and 3-axis accelerometer. Now that I've gotten familiar with our vacuum chamber, I will definitely be testing the altimeter in it before sending it back up.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 127
    edited 2014-06-26 16:20
    Hi, Does anybody have C code for this altimeter? I just need to be able to get a variable integer out of it that goes up and down accordingly.