Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Workshop in an apartment for building robotics — Parallax Forums

Workshop in an apartment for building robotics

Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
edited 2013-11-21 09:26 in Robotics
Looking for examples of apartment workshop arraignments that work for building robotics.

I have several nephews and nieces that are in college that want to build robots like their uncle. ;<)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,102
    edited 2013-11-06 18:25
    Looking for examples of apartment workshop arraignments that work for building robotics.

I have several nephews and nieces that are in college that want to build robots like their uncle. ;<)

Thanks for any suggestions.

When I was in a small rented location I got Sherline lathe and milling machine for robot work. They work well, good precision and good quality. I still use the lathe frequently. My machines are almost 20 years old and still great shape!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-11-06 19:04
    Here's my old dorm room from my freshman year: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/115355-going-off-to-college-need-help-deciding-what-parts-to-get-before-i-go?p=833404&viewfull=1#post833404

And here's my work area once I got my own room. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/139851-How-do-you-clean-your-workbench?p=1096040&viewfull=1#post1096040

While we're at it, here's my storage solutions: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/149124-Recommendations-for-tool-parts-storage-in-the-home-workshop?p=1195748&viewfull=1#post1195748

I would highly recommend not doing any cutting/drilling/soldering in a dorm room. You're too close to your living space, and it's a real pain to clean metal shavings out of your blanket. Don't share a messy workshop area with a clean computer or personal area.

When I lived at college I had my soldering tools in a kit that I could take to some outdoor picnic tables and work out there. There's excellent ventilation and no mess. For heavier things, most colleges will have a machine shop and an electronics shop on campus that's open to all students. All you have to do is go in and introduce yourself.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2013-11-06 19:26
    Not an apartment, but in our house, I have claimed the downstairs "in-law-suite" as my office. The structure you see spans 12 feet across and the work bench is 2 feet deep. Computers on the left Electronics on the right. Up top are three 4 feet by 3 feet removable dry erase panels. Behind the panels are storage space that spans the entire 12 feet... A double decker work bench with storage up top. The entire structure is free standing and does not need the support of the wall, so it might work in something like an apartment without breaching the lease by making any structural modifications.

IMG1565.jpg
    1024 x 441 - 39K
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2013-11-07 01:51
    @Beau

Very cool setup.

1)Drawing area
    2)Computer area
    3)Work area

I like it alot. Very good use of a small space.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-11-07 04:30
    Think hacker space. If there's enough of them, annex the common room. OR the loading dock by the back door.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-11-07 09:12
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-11-07 15:21
    FWIW...some of the older examples of Dremel hobby setups of previous decades are worth looking at for ideas.
    edited 2013-11-11 14:01
    Here are some pictures of my current setup. I'm able to dedicate a full room for my work area so it works out pretty well.
    912 x 684 - 148K
    912 x 684 - 144K
    912 x 684 - 147K
    edited 2013-11-11 15:29
    SRLM wrote: »
    Here are some pictures of my current setup. I'm able to dedicate a full room for my work area so it works out pretty well.

Well done...I like the usage of 3-D space...vertical risers, wrap around desk, vertical usage of instrument space..effective use of traffic movement.

A question...where does the squirrel in your avatar sit? ;<)
    edited 2013-11-11 15:36
    Not an apartment, but in our house, I have claimed the downstairs "in-law-suite" as my office. The structure you see spans 12 feet across and the work bench is 2 feet deep. Computers on the left Electronics on the right. Up top are three 4 feet by 3 feet removable dry erase panels. Behind the panels are storage space that spans the entire 12 feet... A double decker work bench with storage up top. The entire structure is free standing and does not need the support of the wall, so it might work in something like an apartment without breaching the lease by making any structural modifications.

IMG1565.jpg

I like it...as you said free standing so it is easily moved...a requirement of apartment living.

Efficient use of vertical space.

How do the white boards work out..do you find that you use them often?
    edited 2013-11-11 17:32
    Well done...I like the usage of 3-D space...vertical risers, wrap around desk, vertical usage of instrument space..effective use of traffic movement.

My previous living space was a single room with a personal bathroom attached. I made every usage of the space that I could. My bed was elevated 4 feet off the ground and cabinets were placed beneath. Long term storage was behind the cabinets and under the bed. I had 5' tall filing cabinets with things on top, and a tall commercial storage unit (7 feet tall) with awkward things on top of that. The bathroom was pretty roomy (industrial style), so there was enough room to put in a bike rack. It worked pretty well (pictures).

I should also point out that everything is on the cheap. The total costs for my current setup are:
    $50 - Filing cabinet x 3
    $40 - Short filing cabinet
    $200 - Brown card cabinet
    $250 - Workbench
    $70 - Bookcase
    $60 - Rolling cabinet seat
    $40 - Desk
    $710

I buy most of my furniture from office surplus stores. They usually have ESD workbenches, but most are 6' and ~$500. ESD benches usually have a very nice shelving system.

The one expensive piece of furniture is my Herman Miller Aeron chair, and my soon to be desk legs (height adjustable).

Moving is a bit of a pain, but it works because I'm a pretty big guy so I can handle the filing cabinets myself. Otherwise (<180lbs) you're going to have trouble handling everything.
    edited 2013-11-11 18:25
    Too_Many_Tools,

"How do the white boards work out..do you find that you use them often?" - I personally use them all of the time. If not for working out an idea in my head, I use them to put on my "teacher hat" and help my girls with their homework. Now if I could just keep them from running off with my dry-erase markers.
    edited 2013-11-11 21:32
    My previous living space was a single room with a personal bathroom attached. I made every usage of the space that I could. My bed was elevated 4 feet off the ground and cabinets were placed beneath. Long term storage was behind the cabinets and under the bed. I had 5' tall filing cabinets with things on top, and a tall commercial storage unit (7 feet tall) with awkward things on top of that. The bathroom was pretty roomy (industrial style), so there was enough room to put in a bike rack. It worked pretty well (pictures).

I should also point out that everything is on the cheap. The total costs for my current setup are:
    $50 - Filing cabinet x 3
    $40 - Short filing cabinet
    $200 - Brown card cabinet
    $250 - Workbench
    $70 - Bookcase
    $60 - Rolling cabinet seat
    $40 - Desk
    $710

I buy most of my furniture from office surplus stores. They usually have ESD workbenches, but most are 6' and ~$500. ESD benches usually have a very nice shelving system.

The one expensive piece of furniture is my Herman Miller Aeron chair, and my soon to be desk legs (height adjustable).

Moving is a bit of a pain, but it works because I'm a pretty big guy so I can handle the filing cabinets myself. Otherwise (<180lbs) you're going to have trouble handling everything.

Cheap is good...it allows one to experiment for the optimal arraignment...one is not afraid to replace a piece of the shop.

Modular is good...again it allows one to experiment for the optimal arraignment...massive one piece setups don't get changed.

Portability is good...in my experience it can take years to find the right storage/desk/shelf combination..and anything good is something you want to follow you through life's journey.
    edited 2013-11-11 21:37
    Too_Many_Tools,

"How do the white boards work out..do you find that you use them often?" - I personally use them all of the time. If not for working out an idea in my head, I use them to put on my "teacher hat" and help my girls with their homework. Now if I could just keep them from running off with my dry-erase markers.

Thanks for the feedback.

I ask because I rarely use them when it is just me without having to relate to other designers.

I find that paper seems to work better...much better..a roll of 3-foot wide rolling paper gives one a large surface to design on.

I also note that I design better on paper than on a computer screen...perhaps it is just the way one learned early in life to relate to the world.
    edited 2013-11-11 22:15
    Found this...like the arraignment...definitely committed to robotics. ;<)

http://www.users.qwest.net/~kmaxon/page/side/etools_137.htm
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-11-12 09:31
    Well, first I think you need to define what "build" means.

For me, it used to mean hacking up metal and other materials to build human-sized robots. My tool and supply budget was staggering. I no longer do those, and in fact, I seldom use metal. So my building space went from a 500 square foot garage to a corner of my office. (This does not include the CNC machine I use for my business.)

Your nieces and nephews might be among the rising cadre of robot builders who get the mechanics ready-made, or use LEGO parts. No hard construction necessary. Nothing wrong with this approach, and more practical for apartment living.
    edited 2013-11-15 16:21
    Curious..has anyone put together a "robotics workshop in a suitcase"?

What do robotic teams have when they go to compete?
    edited 2013-11-15 18:14
    Curious..has anyone put together a "robotics workshop in a suitcase"?

What do robotic teams have when they go to compete?

Which robotics teams are you talking about?

The largest robotics competition (by people) is probably FIRST. They get a pit area that's pretty large (12' x 12' or so, IIRC) and usually take quite a bit. Usually at these events there's an on site machine shop that can provide components as well.

Do a Google image search for "first robotics pit".

Remember that these pits have to be set up in a few hours or less, and taken down as quickly.
    edited 2013-11-17 14:44
    Which robotics teams are you talking about?

The largest robotics competition (by people) is probably FIRST. They get a pit area that's pretty large (12' x 12' or so, IIRC) and usually take quite a bit. Usually at these events there's an on site machine shop that can provide components as well.

Do a Google image search for "first robotics pit".

Remember that these pits have to be set up in a few hours or less, and taken down as quickly.

Thanks for the lead.

I guess I am referring to ALL robotic groups that compete.

I would guess that they need on site capability to fix and create solutions during competition.

Think of a field tech's need to handle any problem at a customer's site...what would he have with him?
    edited 2013-11-20 14:06
    Time to submit our lab/workshops for the recognition they so richly deserve! :)

http://www.labdesignnews.com/articles/2013/10/2014-laboratory-year-competition-open-entries
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-11-20 18:40
    Be sure to keep us posted on winners!!! I could use some design help! After spending two months buying bins, shelf space and remodeling my office/shop space it is still a disaster and I am out of room. I keep telling my wife we're gonna need a bigger boat but she says then I would just fill it with even more stuff!!!!
    edited 2013-11-20 22:25
    "Time to submit our lab/workshops for the recognition they so richly deserve!" - At $295 for the entry fee, that's a little steep for me.... I only spent about half of that on materials for my workspace setup.
    edited 2013-11-21 09:26
    "Time to submit our lab/workshops for the recognition they so richly deserve!" - At $295 for the entry fee, that's a little steep for me.... I only spent about half of that on materials for my workspace setup.

Made ya look!

Wow, that is steep. How do you suspect they are funding the contest? :)

I wonder if the wooden plaque the winner gets even costs $295.