Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with RC plane — Parallax Forums

Help with RC plane

XxpoztxXXxpoztxX Posts: 2
edited 2013-11-02 13:38 in Robotics
I'm building a foamy RC plane and I'm having some trouble. I have three parallax standard servo's, A parallax GemFan 30A ESC, A parallax Brushless outrunner motor 1,000kv A Tactic 2.4GHz SLT TR624 6-Channel reciever & the 4 channel transmitter it came with. and as a power source I'm using A 12v AC/DC adapter just to test the set up before I buy the battery. My problem is, when I start the motor it runs fine throttles good and everything is fine. when I start to move the servo's the motor dies out and I have to reset my input to zero and start again. Idk what I'm doing wrong. Are my servo's drawing too much power? is there something I'm missing. If any one can help me out I would really Appreciate it. As far as the lay out... My power source is basically a 12v ac/dc plug that i cut the end off of and connected the power and negative to the Black and red cables on the ESC then I have third multiwire connector connected to the reciever in the proper channel for throttle. the servo's are all connected to their respective channels as well.

Comments

• Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2013-11-02 02:17
    Hello,

Parallax standard servos are not for foamies : they are too heavy (44 g ! ) and i think that they draw too much power (the limit may be 1or 2 amps with the BEC line) .

Look at Turnigy 9 gram servos (Hobbyking store) or Hitec HS55.

What foamie plan are you using ?

Two foamies for beginning : Super easy or Nutball

Look also here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/

Cats
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2013-11-02 04:54
    What is the 12V adapter - I really doubt it can supply enough current for an outrunner which can
    easily pull dozens of amps. LiPo batteries are extremely powerful and not easily substituted with
    a cheap PSU.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-11-02 10:18
    I agree with Mark. I think this your power supply is the main cause of your resetting problem.

Cats92 is is probably right too but the Parallax servos shouldn't be causing much trouble on your bench setup (but this depends on your power supply).

I've had lots of trouble when testing motors from a bench top power supply. Even though the power supply should have been able to supply the required power, it would still have trouble with sudden power changes (starting the motors).

A good battery pack eliminated these power issues.

I buy LiPo packs from HobbyKing. I try to find the size of pack I'm after in the USA warehouse first since the shipping is so much faster. While you're getting your LiPo packs, buy one of those bags for charging LiPos. The charge bags will help contain any fires (I've charged a lot of LiPo packs myself and I've never had a fire problem). Apparently the smell from a LiPo fire can be really bad you you want to charge some place that won't smell up your home (though I still charge my batteries in basement, I plan to move the charger to the garage).

Here's a link to the 9g servos at HobbyKing Cats92 mentioned. I have some other servo links in post #10 of my index (see signature).
  • XxpoztxXXxpoztxX Posts: 2
    edited 2013-11-02 13:38
    Ok thanks guys. I'll be sure to check that out. I figured an AC/DC adapter plugged directly into the wall would be enough to power everything. and I figured the servo's would be too big but I just wanted to test everything on the bench first and see how it would all play out. As far as for the adapter its just an old charger for a battery I think ... its 100-240 VAC 50-60 hz 12VDC 1A