Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for S2 Drawings and other open sourced files — Parallax Forums

Looking for S2 Drawings and other open sourced files

WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
edited 2015-04-09 23:26 in Robotics
For some mods I am working on for my daughter's S2, it would be extremely helpful to have DWGs or Solidworks files. In the S2 User Guide, it has the following paragraph regarding the Open-Source classification of the S2:

Parallax Open-Source Initiative
That’s right—the entire S2 design is released under Creative Commons
open source license. You have full access to all original design files required
to build the S2, including PCB layouts, bill of materials, software source
code, and mechanical design. Design files and Creative Commons license
details are available at www.parallax.com/go/S2.

I have been unable to locate the PCB Layouts, bill of materials, and mechanical design files as listed. Have these been posted anywhere or are these items only available upon request?

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-11-03 09:27
    Got 'em, Andrew! The mechanicals are actually the S1, but they're essentially the same except for the internal addition of encoders.

Parallax has a full container of 3,500 of these arriving early December, just in time for Christmas!
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2013-11-03 16:04
    Ken, thanks. However, I cannot get either of my computers to open the Mechanical Zip file. Both versions of my software give messages that it is an invalid file. Anyone else having issues with it?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-11-03 17:33
    Let's see if somebody else can jump in and determine the problem with the mechanical files. These are likely past-generation SolidWorks files.
    edited 2013-11-03 23:51
    Ken, The file type inside the zip wouldn't be a concern. My issue is that any ZIP program I have tells me that this isn't a valid ZIP archive. Can you try re-zipping the files?

edit: I viewed the file in Notepad and it is in a binary format, but does have a partly readable header which only bears the title "ScribbleMechanicalViewer.exe" ???
  • BenWirzBenWirz Posts: 63
    edited 2013-11-04 13:44
    Hi Andrew,

I have uploaded a pair of zip files for you. The first contains the PCB Gerber Files & Assembly Drawings. The second contains the Mechanical Model as a executable 3D model. (Windows only unfortunately)

I hope that works for you,
    Ben

S2 PCB Artwork.zip
    ScribblerMechanicalViewer.zip
  • BenWirzBenWirz Posts: 63
    edited 2013-11-04 14:10
    Also here is solution for Mac users. You will need to install the free eDrawings Viewer for Mac from this link in order to view the attached file.

http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/ed/edrawings-mac.htm

-Ben

Scribbler Mechanical eDrawing.zip
    edited 2013-11-04 17:40
    Ben, Thanks! Whatever you did, fixed the roadblock. I can open the EASM file in post #7 and the self-executable viewer file in post #6 without any issues.
    edited 2013-12-09 22:56
    Had to resurrect this thread. I finally passed these files to a colleague to assist with some SolidWorks activity for the custom part I am making for the S2. He is unable to properly utilize the EASM file (eDrawings Assembly) so that he can add proper slice faces to create contour patterns at specific locations. In eDrawings, we can open this file easily, but the slicing (cross sections) function is limited to the X/Y/Z planes or a face of the drawn object. Since I need a cross section at a location that is not aligned with any faces or planes, I cannot get the contour data that I need.

Are the actual SolidWorks files available?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-12-09 23:00
    'Not sure it was done in SolidWordks, because ProEngineer is lingua franca for work done in the orient. I suggest you request IGES files instead, since almost all 3D CAD systems can export and import them.

-Phil
    edited 2014-01-06 23:34
    BUMP! The holidays have since passed, I have completed my latest Propeller Project (although I still need to write up the project page), and ready to move back to what I was working on before that project squeezed in.

Anyhow, thanks for the note Phil, there's a good chance that these are in Pro-E.

Any update from the Parallaxian side? Any chance of digging up the raw designer files?
    edited 2015-04-09 23:26
    BUMP again, anyone have any luck using these files in any 3D programs? I still haven't had any luck and my project needs to get wrapped up. It's very slow going not having usable files as my drawing from scratch abilities aren't great.