Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EV3 LEGO Robotics kit! — Parallax Forums

EV3 LEGO Robotics kit!

hapaluahapalua Posts: 149
edited 2014-01-01 15:52 in Robotics
So what does everybody think about the new EV3 robotics kit from LEGO? I am going to purchase the education version and not the home edition. Comes with more sensors and
no funny decals!

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-10-25 17:15
    A bit pricey but kind of cool looking.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2013-10-26 06:22
    I'd not heard of it so I Googled it. Here is the web page for it:

http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/products/ev3/31313/

It costs £299 here in the UK.

It uses an ARM9 processor, running Linux.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-10-26 11:05
    $350 in the US.

Another move to make educational robotics more expensive for everyone.

Just say no.
  • hapaluahapalua Posts: 149
    edited 2013-10-26 16:47
    You do not think its worth the price?
    edited 2013-10-26 18:48
    The hardware maybe, but not the idea behind it.

Mindstorms RIS was pushing it at $200 in 2000. Thirteen years later even $200 is harder to find for most kids, students, and teachers, let alone $350. These days people have LESS money, not more, for their education.

I'm all for LEGO pushing the envelope and keeping it interesting, but this is a toy for rich kids. Let's see some stuff aimed at truly helping young adults learn robotics. (And yes, this is precisely what Parallax is doing. It's why I'm here.)
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-10-28 15:25
    FYI,

Mindstorms EV3 is also $399 here in Vancouver BC at the Lego store.

Frankly, it is an excellent demonstration of branding at work. Prop-BOE-Bot (or even the BS2 based BoeBot) are far more powerful, and less expensive.

Granted, for very young children the Lego pieces (non-robotic) will be familiar, but...
    edited 2013-10-29 17:25
    Im wondering if i should just stick with the NXT and wait til the price of the EV3 goes down.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2013-10-29 19:03
    What it you put a QuickStart board is some type of 3 d printed Lego style block. But it has to have the connectors for the Lego sensors.

Bundle it with that GUI programming software ( 13 steps or something sorry I can't remember.)

Bam! Sub 100 dollar 8 processor brain for mind storm.

ken please send the royalty checks in the form of merchandise credit.

And call it prop storm, propeller storm, parallax storm, 8 core storm,
    edited 2013-10-30 08:05
    LEGO is pretty good about holding their prices. But if you wait a while, you might find some lightly used sets on eBay or Amazon for a bit less. They'd likely be the standard retail version, and not the $100 more educational kit you're looking at getting.

Don't get me wrong -- paying $350 to $4000+ (depending on version) isn't horrible for a robot kit for a classroom. The cost can be spread out over many students and several years. I just think it's inflated for the typical home schooler or individual wanting to learn robotics. I'm being unrealistic here, thinking a corporation like LEGO would actively seek lower prices so that more kids could be exposed to robotics. I live in a dream world.
    edited 2013-10-30 10:06
    oh well! =)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-10-31 14:36
    As I mentioned before, I'm a big fan of Lego. And while Lego stuff can be expensive it's usually pretty well made.

I don't mind this sort of question at all on the Parallax forums but what does kind of bother me is seeing the prefix "UNSOLVED" in front of it. What are we trying to solve? The only question was what we think about EV3. Is that really something that needs to be solved?

In case anyone is wondering the prefix to a thread can be changed by editing the original post and clicking "Go Advanced". From there there's a drop down menu with possible prefixes.

Again, I do think asking about EV3 is just fine and I certainly hope hapalua sticks around and continues to participate in the forum.

Just exposing my grumpy old man side a bit.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-10-31 22:02
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Just exposing my grumpy old man side a bit.

Sorry, the position has been filled by yours truly!
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-11-04 23:03
    $350 in the US.

Another move to make educational robotics more expensive for everyone.

Just say no.

LOL..well said.

Just saw it at Toys R Us for $400.

So what do you get for $400 compared to the earlier (and cheaper) generation of NXT?

http://robotsquare.com/2013/07/16/ev3-nxt-compatibility/

Another link...note the comment on ToysRUs.

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=&t=7891
    edited 2013-11-04 23:06
    LEGO is pretty good about holding their prices. But if you wait a while, you might find some lightly used sets on eBay or Amazon for a bit less. They'd likely be the standard retail version, and not the $100 more educational kit you're looking at getting.

Don't get me wrong -- paying $350 to $4000+ (depending on version) isn't horrible for a robot kit for a classroom. The cost can be spread out over many students and several years. I just think it's inflated for the typical home schooler or individual wanting to learn robotics. I'm being unrealistic here, thinking a corporation like LEGO would actively seek lower prices so that more kids could be exposed to robotics. I live in a dream world.

LEGO is ruthless in holding their price points.

Good quality product but incredibly expensive.
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2013-11-10 17:55
    What you see in most department stores are obviously going to be the mass-appeal branded items, with very specific pieces. The Creator and Technic line have always been the most generic in terms of reusable pieces. But of course they're "uglier" with all the holes in them.

As for bulk parts, I wish Lego would advertise more about the legoeducation.us site, where you can get things in bulk for seriously reasonable prices (talking about bags of 100 of the blue, red, or gray pegs, etc).

Lego isn't that expensive considering you can get DC motors with gear reduction for about $10, screw drive actuator for $15, and a servomotor for $20, $4 tires, and $1 universal joints, etc. You can use infrared control for much cheaper than the NXT brick stuff. Plus everything is reusable in the sense that it all can be unpinned and repurposed.

Now I would agree that the barrier of entry (the getting started price) is what stops most people from considering it. But if so desired you could piece together what you wanted as the EV3 brick itself is $160 again from the legoeducation.us site. But it's the "you're on your own" situation. A lot of the price of a set comes from the "value add" of support, actually walking through how to use it and the building directions to build what you see on the box.

I just wish growing up as a kid I had all these tools (pieces) at my disposal. I was stuck playing around with a single motor and battery box, and had to reduce down with multiple stages of external gears just to do anything usable. I generally had to get a much sought after part by asking for a whole set. Lego still does this, by introducing a new part in a >$100 set, but eventually (if you can stand to wait) it does show up later as an individual purchase.
    edited 2013-11-11 15:04
    whicker wrote: »
    What you see in most department stores are obviously going to be the mass-appeal branded items, with very specific pieces. The Creator and Technic line have always been the most generic in terms of reusable pieces. But of course they're "uglier" with all the holes in them.

As for bulk parts, I wish Lego would advertise more about the legoeducation.us site, where you can get things in bulk for seriously reasonable prices (talking about bags of 100 of the blue, red, or gray pegs, etc).

Lego isn't that expensive considering you can get DC motors with gear reduction for about $10, screw drive actuator for $15, and a servomotor for $20, $4 tires, and $1 universal joints, etc. You can use infrared control for much cheaper than the NXT brick stuff. Plus everything is reusable in the sense that it all can be unpinned and repurposed.

Now I would agree that the barrier of entry (the getting started price) is what stops most people from considering it. But if so desired you could piece together what you wanted as the EV3 brick itself is $160 again from the legoeducation.us site. But it's the "you're on your own" situation. A lot of the price of a set comes from the "value add" of support, actually walking through how to use it and the building directions to build what you see on the box.

I just wish growing up as a kid I had all these tools (pieces) at my disposal. I was stuck playing around with a single motor and battery box, and had to reduce down with multiple stages of external gears just to do anything usable. I generally had to get a much sought after part by asking for a whole set. Lego still does this, by introducing a new part in a >$100 set, but eventually (if you can stand to wait) it does show up later as an individual purchase.

Well said.

The "big" problem IS the entry price...at Toys R Us it will cost you $400 plus tax to play.

Most parents choke at the $100 pricemark when it comes to buying a major toy for Junior.

Try Googling "expensive Lego EV3" and see the many, many hits from reviewers noting that the pricing is over the top.

The reason why Lego does not advertise its lower priced options is well...because they want to make all the money they can.

While I understand their motivation for profit, considering how important their influence is on the future of the world's youth I would like to see lower entry costs for their robotics line...perhaps selling older sets cheaper instead of obseleting them.
    edited 2013-11-14 17:08
    Welp the cost of the EV3 is making me change my mind back and forth back and forth. Should I get it or not. I am trying to decide between getting a hobby grade rc car or this EV3 . I truly like both
    but the price of EV3 is killing me. Does anyone think the price will go down?
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-11-14 18:40
    Does anyone think the price will go down?
    Not in the near future. With Christmas coming you "might" get lucky and find one on sale but that is a stretch. If you like RC cars then go that route. But, if you want to have something that you can program and add to, I would consider a bot of some sort, even if you design and build your own. The price of the Wild Thumper threw me also. However, as soon as there was a sale I got mine and am real happy with it. It has the best of both worlds. RC capabilities that I can add whatever I want to and program myself.
    edited 2013-11-15 17:20
    RC cars all the way!
    edited 2013-11-16 15:46
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Not in the near future. With Christmas coming you "might" get lucky and find one on sale but that is a stretch. If you like RC cars then go that route. But, if you want to have something that you can program and add to, I would consider a bot of some sort, even if you design and build your own. The price of the Wild Thumper threw me also. However, as soon as there was a sale I got mine and am real happy with it. It has the best of both worlds. RC capabilities that I can add whatever I want to and program myself.

With the EV3 being introduced this year, Lego will be very hesitant to lower prices...but...this Xmas season is predicted to be a downer with a shorter buying season and lower consumer confidence...so...I suspect that retailers will be very aggressive with sales..as the current pre Black Friday sales activity is demonstrating. My best luck with buying Lego robotic sets has been to watch for sales DAILY during the two weeks after Thanksgiving..I have purchased a number of NXT kits for 1/2 off during this period. Black Fridays and the days just before Xmas are the worst for pricing since retailers know that you will be shopping.

You may want to consider which Lego robot set you want...the NXT vs EV3...they both are different and the series is only upwardly compatible..NXT => EV3...so there may be some used deals on the NXT as others upgrade.

Good luck with the hunt...
    edited 2013-11-17 15:34
    Ha! I said RC cars all the way but my mind is switching and saying "no you really want that EV3" haha! I bought that book from Danielle Beneditelli guy who made the Rubiks cube robot for the NXT. This book for the EV3 by Danielle is really good and detailed. I dont like the 5 showcase robots that come with the retail version of EV3. So I am also waiting for other books from other authors that teach you how to use the retail set. Oh well maybe I will purchase my RC car right now and then in the mean time the prices for the EV3 may go down hopefully.I will also look into those used deals on the NXT thanks a bunch!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-11-17 17:03
    I doubt seriously you will see any price decrease. The best prices I found on the Mindsyorms always seemed to be on Amazon. The LEGO educational guys won't be cutting prices ....especially if this set is being featured in the upcoming FIRST season. If you want it, note the bullet and get it and enjoy it.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-11-17 18:54
    Rick is right, just note the bullet.

In similar fashion, reality notes. Do not note the hand that feeds you. Do not note off more than you can chew. :)
    edited 2013-11-17 19:43
    What does note mean ?m
    edited 2013-11-18 12:35
    hapalua wrote: »
    What does note mean ?m

Sometimes Erco eats lead paint on old toys. He then reads words that aren't there, like thinking someone wrote "note" when everyone else sees it as "bite."

edited 2013-11-18 13:14
    It's "bite" - my tablet's spell checker apologizes!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-11-18 13:24
    mindrobots wrote: »
    It's "bite" - my tablet's spell checker apologizes!

I kind of liked "note the bullet".

Who bites bullets anymore? In "note the bullet" instead of the bullet being something to clench your teeth on as you endure the hardship it represents the hardship itself. You say to yourself. "Yes, that cost a lot. I'm aware it cost a lot but it's worth it to me. Now that I've noticed the expensive and have decided the item is worth it, I can now continue with life and enjoy the item and not fret about how much it cost me."

To me "note the bullet" implies a desire to concentrate of the benefits of a decision (after it has been made) and not worry so much about what the decision cost you.

I think that's good advice Rick. Thanks.
    edited 2013-11-18 13:57
    Duane Degn wrote: »

I think that's good advice Rick. Thanks.

Wow, the only deep thought I got out of my typo was "stupid tablet!"

Thanks, Duane for making my sound much more clever than I am!
    edited 2013-11-18 15:05
    I cannot buy the EV3 right now. I can afford a 150 dollar rc car though thats really awesome too. Should I wait and save and please dont say its up to you! =)
    edited 2013-11-19 12:20
    hapalua wrote: »
    I cannot buy the EV3 right now. I can afford a 150 dollar rc car though thats really awesome too. Should I wait and save and please dont say its up to you! =)

As I have said before, there are windows of opportunity where one can buy Lego robots for 1/2 real MSPR during the holidays.

According to Google, the Lego EV3 is running for about $350...so one can MAYBE get lucky and buy the EV3 for about $180...if the buying season goes soft...on a special sale.

Where do you think all the Ebay flippers get their Lego robots to flip? Those very sales.

Again Lego will be very hesitant to drop prices on their flagship product...but the market dictates the final price.

So what to do?

If you can wait and watch, you might get a cheap EV3...or else just go buy the RC car and have fun now.