Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax GPS module to BS2 interface — Parallax Forums

Parallax GPS module to BS2 interface

kashyapkashyap Posts: 5
edited 2013-10-30 16:47 in BASIC Stamp
The GPS module is not locking satellites quickly and if it does, it loses connections in a substantial time..
What may be the problem other than the powering issue.
Then the GPS module once locked is displaying junk data on the basic stamp editor (debugger).
Kindly help me with the way to proceed towards achieving the solution to this problem
Thank you for the time and appreciate ur help

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-10-25 14:52
    Welcome to the forums! It would help to know a little bit more about your setup in order to help you. The following information would be useful:
    1. Which GPS Module or Receiver are you using?
    2. Are you using it indoors or outdoors?
    3. How is it connected to your BS2?
    4. How is the GPS being powered?
    5. What junk data are you seeing?
    6. What is the program you're running to display the GPS data?
  • kashyapkashyap Posts: 5
    edited 2013-10-28 09:28
    Thank you Chris Savage for replying.
    1.Parallax GPS Receiver Module (#28146) ,designed in cooperation with Grand Idea Studio (www.grandideastudio.com).
    2.I am testing it outdoors. i.e. on the roof terrace of the building.
    3.As it is given in the GPS module datasheet, leaving the /RAW pin unconnected all others are connected as specified.
    4.GPS is being powered from the microcontroller board. the vdd and gnd pins are connected to the breadboard on the development kit and from there it is getting powered.
    5.It displays the wrong information regarding the latitude, longitude and the year..so on..
    6.I am running the sample program that has been given in the datasheet of gps_manual_2.0_parallelax.
    Can u please suggest me the ways to go about it and the mistakes that i am doing as it is very urgent and if possible please give me a source of an alternate code to test it.
    Thanks again
    edited 2013-10-28 14:57
    The last time I saw a problem like this it turned out to be one of the resistors had come off the PCB resulting in the /RAW line not being able to actually go high. The result was that the GPS was sending RAW data when the program was expecting queried data. My best guess based on the symptoms is you're getting RAW data.
    edited 2013-10-28 21:24
    Ok thank you!!!
    snap.JPG

This is what i am recieving as of now.
    I will try running it again by making the RAW pin high.
    btw since RAW pin is internally pulled high, do i have to connect it to VDD or to GND externally because i do not want to lose the only one GPS module that i have.
    Thanks again.
    681 x 384 - 49K
    edited 2013-10-29 09:36
    It should be internally pulled high, however if the resistor has come off the PCB it may not work. You can try tying it to 5V. By the way, can you take a photo of the PCB underneath? We should be able to see the resistors from that.
    edited 2013-10-29 12:59
    Her i upload the images to the best resolution that i could.
    IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg

Thank you so much Chris Savage, appreciate your help.
    I also request you to give me further inputs if you find anything wrong from here.
    Best regards!!
    1024 x 768 - 54K
    1024 x 768 - 65K
    1024 x 768 - 52K
    1024 x 768 - 51K
    edited 2013-10-29 14:12
    The last three photos should show what we need to see, unfortunately they are very blurry so I can't even make out the components on that side of the board. If you have access to a better camera please try to get a high resolution photo of that side of the board.
    edited 2013-10-30 11:53
    Thank you so much Chris Savage!!!! appreciate your help
    It seems working and i hereby put the screenshot of the result and also the snaps of the GPS module, since you asked.
    output_GPS.JPG
    IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg

This was all possible because of you.Please help me in future also if i face problems like these.
    Best regards.
    579 x 484 - 42K
    1024 x 768 - 77K
    1024 x 768 - 90K
    1024 x 768 - 93K
    edited 2013-10-30 16:47
    I'm glad it is working for you now.