Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cannot access Spinneret from internet — Parallax Forums

Cannot access Spinneret from internet

macrobeakmacrobeak Posts: 354
edited 2013-10-24 08:39 in Accessories
I have set up the Spinneret and router with port forwarding as per "Hello World", "GETing to the Server" and "Making your Spinneret Internet Accessibble". It works very stably on the internal home network. However, when I try and access from the internet I get the following error messages a) From Firefox"connection was reset" b) From Spinneret PST connection * Timeout * Any pointers or ideas on howI can troubleshoot this? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-10-23 18:58
    What address are you using to access the Spinneret. If it's of the form "192.168.something" it won't work, since that's strictly a local network address. You need to find out what your internet IP address is. Use:

http://whatismyip.com

Then you need to set up your router to forward incoming requests to the port you've assigned the Spinneret to the Spinneret's local network address.

-Phil
  • macrobeakmacrobeak Posts: 354
    edited 2013-10-24 00:43
    Yup Phil, I am using my correct external internet address with port forwarding as per "Making your Spinneret Internet Accessible- Jeff Ledger". I know the external internet request gets through to the Spinneret because I can see the - - Start of Request - - display on Parallax Serial Terminal, but there is no web page served up on Firefox - just timeout. Interestingly enough, when I run Beau's Demo V1.0 from the external internet I can get full response from the Spinneret. Any ideas on the reason for timeout on Firefox when using HTTPserver? Many thanks.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-10-24 00:49
    Well, you've done the obvious stuff that I'm familiar with. Mike G will probably have to field your inquiry going forward.

-Phil
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-10-24 04:26
    This issue creeps up from time to time. Try changing the following line of code. You'll find the line in a repeat code block above the line pst.str(string(13,"* Timeout *",13))
    waitcnt((clkfreq/500) + cnt)

Change it to...
    waitcnt((clkfreq/350) + cnt)

..or play with the values until you find one that works best.

I'n trying to retire HttpServer. Please check out the newer stuff.
  • macrobeakmacrobeak Posts: 354
    edited 2013-10-24 07:25
    Thanks for the tip on the timeout Mike. I will try it out tomorrow. Regarding the newer stuff, can you point me to some demos or examples. Many thanks.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-10-24 08:39
    Regarding the newer stuff, can you point me to some demos or examples
    Look for the file names that contain the word "Demo" or WebServer_5100_