Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
servo controller crazy — Parallax Forums

servo controller crazy

fred1456fred1456 Posts: 13
edited 2013-10-21 11:00 in BASIC Stamp
hello everynone

i have a problem with my servocontroler, when i put 4 or 5 servo on it, programs works and seros responds normally, but when i put 12 servo on it, some servo dont repond, some servo shaking and all dont responding to the program, and it is the same program than before.

do you have an idea what happening?
I think the power supply is'nt enouth powerfull for those 12 servos. i will try another power supply, but i cant wait for this? what do you think?
this problem drive me crasy.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-10-21 08:44
    Yes, most likely a power supply issue. You need lots of current, stable voltage, and large wires. Try a stronger power supply or big batteries, LiPo or Gel cell.

You didn't mention which servo controller you are using. Is it the Propeller Servo Controller USB?
  • fred1456fred1456 Posts: 13
    edited 2013-10-21 09:56
    thanks for reply, do you have the sae probl
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-10-21 10:50
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-10-21 11:00
    I mention the batteries I'm using at 3:10 in my 32 servo demo.

Those are 5Ah LiPo packs I'm not sure if I used 2 cell packs or 3 cell packs. Either would be enough (probably overkill). I'm using a switching regulator to reduce the voltage from the battery to 5V. Here's link to a switching regulator erco (IIRC) found on ebay.

This doesn't really help you though (but come on, that's 32 servos, isn't it cool?). This set up works with servos with no loads but if you add a load, you'll have to worry about even more current. The LiPo can probably handle the current if the servos had a load but I think I'd need a different regulator (the one I was using could only provide a few amps).

This guy on LMR mentions having a tough time finding DC-DC regulators to handle the current of 16 servos. I think he documented what he ended up using. I'd suggest seeing how he solved the problem.

I just saw erco's suggestion of a SLA. That would work if the servos don't need to support their own weight and the weight of the battery.

How are you using the 16 servos?