Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem with Boe-Bot servos not turning (BS2) — Parallax Forums

Problem with Boe-Bot servos not turning (BS2)

LoudmindLoudmind Posts: 8
edited 2013-10-17 06:26 in Robotics
Hi there, we just got a Boe-Bot earlier this week. We've put it partly together and are at the point of running the basic servo commands (rightservotest.bs2 and leftservotest.bs2). The commands are downloading to the basic stamp (BS2) and the switch is in the #2 position, but when we run he program, the servo engine just whines and doesn't turn.

The batteries are fresh from the charger, so that's not the problem. We've also made sure the plugs are in the proper jacks.

Here's the code we're running for the program:

DEBUG "Program Running!"

counter VAR WORD

FOR counter = 1 TO 122
PULSOUT 13, 650
PAUSE 20
NEXT

FOR counter = 1 TO 40
PULSOUT 13, 750
PAUSE 20
NEXT

FOR counter = 1 TO 122
PULSOUT 13, 850
PAUSE 20
NEXT

END

We'd appreciate any help any of you can offer. This was a gift for my son and we're excited to get this working and keep discovering. Thanks in advance for your time!

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-10-17 06:19
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Are you using four rechargeable batteries or five? If only four then try regular alkaline batteries. The reason is that the Boe Bot really needs close to six volts and four rechargeable batteries only supplies about five volts. This can result in a brown out when the servo tries to turn. Another gotcha is have the servo jacks flipped 180 degrees. Make sure the black side of the plug goes to ground so that the signal wire is connected to the pin.
  • LoudmindLoudmind Posts: 8
    edited 2013-10-17 06:26
    Hi there Martin, thanks so much for your quick reply! We'll try the alkaline batteries (we're only using four rechargeable right now). I'll also make sure the jacks are connected as you suggest.

Thanks again, and I'll follow up with questions if I have them.