Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for recommendations on Robotics kit — Parallax Forums

Looking for recommendations on Robotics kit

HumorousHumorous Posts: 2
edited 2014-07-11 00:01 in Robotics
I am looking to purchase a basic robotics kit that can be controlled via wireless with android app or with IR remote input. Which basic kit should I start with?

I am looking at the following kits. The first one interests me quite a bit.

Bluetooth Controlled Robot Car Kits for Arduino

Arduino 4WD Ultrasonic Robot Kit

Arduino 2WD Ultrasonic Smart Car Kit

I would like a kit that includes the processor board, sensors and some chassis. I think that a tracked chassis would be the most fun.

Please feel free to make suggestions, please!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-10-15 21:20
    I'm afraid we can't help you since you've listed only Arduino robotics kits. Parallax makes and sells all sorts of robotics kits from beginner-level to advanced. For a basic robotics kit, I would suggest Parallax's ActivityBot which already includes provisions for IR control. It has a socket for an xBee device and Android tablets and phones normally don't support that. You can get a Bluetooth module from SparkFun that will go in the same socket and can be used almost the same for a wireless link. SparkFun also has a WiFly module which can be used to create a WiFi access point or join an existing WiFi network and goes in the xBee socket as well.

Parallax does have other robotics platforms including one that's tracked, but it's not sold as a complete kit. You have to combine that with motor controllers like the HB-25 and robotics control boards like this one.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-10-16 01:16
    Do you already know how to program the Arduino? If not, don't bother. At least not yet. If you want to get into robotics, the Propeller is the microcontroller for you. The eight processors of the Propeller are great for monitoring multiple sensors and providing output to multiple devices all at the same time.

I have a list of some of the electronics and robotics projects I've done in post #2 of my index (see my signature for link). My projects are rather simple compared to many of the other Propeller projects I've seen but they are still advanced enough that many of them would be very hard to complete with an Arduino.

Mike linked to the Rover 5 Parallax sells. I have two Rover 5 projects myself. One project uses the original treads and the other project uses Vex Mecanum wheels. The Rover 5 sold by Parallax has two drive motors. Both of my Rover 5 projects use the four motor version sold by SparkFun. If you read through the Rover 5 threads, you'll see I have some reservations about the platform but even with these reservations, I think it's an excellent value for the price. I particularly like the four motors with four encoders version (I wish they had a grey version when I purchased mine (though I haven't seen a 4WD, with encoders, grey version)). I used cheap ebay motor controllers on my Rover 5 robots.

I've been keeping my eyes open for other Rover 5 projects since the Rover 5 was first available for sale. I've seen lots of these robots. Most of them are controlled with an Arduino. What I find strange is none of the other Rover 5 projects I've found take advantage of the built in quadrature encoders. I'm pretty sure the Arduino is powerful enough to read the encoders but I think the required use of interrupts to do so makes many people new to programming reluctant to attempt to use them. I think this is a case where the Propeller shines since the encoders can be read with a dedicated cog, there isn't a danger that the encoder code will cause a problem with one of the other devices. I often read of people having trouble because some sensor of motor ends up causing a conflict in their program when multiple devices need the same resource of an Arduino. Since each cog is self contained, the code from one cog won't interfere with code running on a different cog. It is possible to run out of cogs on the Propeller but by the time you do, you would have long ago left the Arduino behind in the dust.

I've read several times that treaded and tracked vehicles aren't very efficient since the treads or tracks add a lot of friction to the the system, but I think treads and tracks are really cool looking. I also think the treads helped when I had my Robot out in the snow. While I like the Rover 5's treads, I also think Vex makes some pretty cool tracks. I'm working on a robot which will use Vex treads. I've only made a couple of prototype track assemblies so far. I'm waiting to work on the rest of the robot until I have my CNC router working so I can use it to cut out the many pieces it will require.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get started with robotics. There are several threads about how to build an inexpensive robot using a Propeller as the controller on the Parallax forums. In my very biased opinion, I think my version of a cheap robot is the best. I need to update the thread with a robot using the Propeller Project Board (since the QuickStart has gone up in price (dang nabbit!)) and using the Vex wheels which I think are a good value (and look cool).

The ActivityBot would be a great way to learn about robotics with the Propeller. There are lots of tutorials written for the ActivityBot.

Well, that's it for now. I can get kind of carried away when I talk about the Propeller. Did I mention it's a great microcontroller for robotics?
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-10-16 04:46
    If you want cheap, most powerful and fun, maybe check out this:

http://code.google.com/p/propforth/wiki/GettingStartedLittleRobot

It uses the prop chip and FORTH programming environment.

The prop has a lot of bang bang for the buck, and FORTH is ideally suited for microcontroller programming. While the system is usually used by engineers for profession controls automation, we have been able to show success with kids as young as 9 years old, and geezers as old as me.

If a little different than other programming environments, but if one is new to programming that doesn't make and difference, in fact it an advantage.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-10-16 09:24
    If you want to build an Arduino-based robot, get this:

http://www.parallax.com/product/130-35000

a
    nd add your own Arduino Uno, which Parallax doesn't sell but you can get through many online sources. The kit contains the chassis, motors, wheels, and simple sensors. You can add additional sensors and electronics as you go.

Parallax provides a FREE online tutorial with construction, programming, and activities for use with this base and the Arduino. Yes, the BOE Bot is a bit more expensive, but the aluminum chassis lasts a long time. I have one approaching 15 years old, and it's as good as new.

Not to speak ill of the other kits you noted, but I recognize their design, and their use of very cheap motors that consume a lot of battery power. They also have a problem where the motors don't always go the same speed. The 4WD chassis would fare better, but now you're consuming 2X the battery current.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-10-16 13:00
    If you are serious enough and want to jump in and get your hands dirty, the Wild Thumper is an awesome Bot. While it does not come with all the items you describe, it can definately handle anything you want to throw at it. It is durable and the 6 independant motors/wheels lets it pretty much go where it wants to. The board that comes with it is inexpensive and you will learn to solder by using it. Programming can be done in C using SimpleIDE or in SPIN, whatever you choose.
  • davidmsdavidms Posts: 2
    edited 2014-07-11 00:01
    http://www.parallax.com/product/130-35000
    This kit is indeed a great choice for you with instruction.
    I guess are a beginner .