Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any information on Amigo motors — Parallax Forums

Any information on Amigo motors

tedbeautedbeau Posts: 48
edited 2013-10-15 14:56 in Robotics
My dad picked up an "AS IS" Amigo mobility scooter that is not working. He was hoping to be able to get it to work to use around his pole barn and camp site for longer distances when he and my stepmom go camping. All I know is it does not work. He said it appears to use two 6 volt batteries, but they are not hooked together in series. I would assume they are in parallel then, or each battery powers one of the drive motors.

He hasn't made any progress on getting it to work and I mentioned I always thought they would make a great large robot base since they have lots of power and range. If he can't make any progress on it he may give the whole thing to me. I don't know if I would have the time to tackle a large project and it would probably be beyond my skill set to trouble shoot it if its circuit board related trouble.

I guess I am wondering if there is some way to at least test the drive motors to se if they are functional, and if the Parallax motor controller would work with these type motors. If anyone is interested he may consider selling it as a part project, but as it sits now it's in an unknown status.

Anyone have any suggestions on possible routes to determine if has any working parts?

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-10-15 14:56
    All you need need to test the motors is a working 6V battery and some heavy-duty jumper wires. You'd only need to use a controller like the HB-25 for electronic control. It would be best to look up the motor type to see if they are indeed for 6V or 12V. They may not be lashed together in the battery box, but that doesn't mean the motors are not operated at 12V.

As parts, and if they are in good shape, they tend to keep a good value sold through eBay. But you need to be very specific what you're selling, and know the motors aren't already smoked.