Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I am looking for a fiber that illuminates ? — Parallax Forums

I am looking for a fiber that illuminates ?

ReachReach Posts: 107
edited 2013-10-09 18:02 in General Discussion
Hello guys,

I am looking for small fibers that illuminates horizontally across the fibers vs. at the ends. I prefer it to be light by an LED. I think they make larger diameter fiber optic toys that glow but I need something small (mm's). Any ideas?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-10-09 09:54
    This is the closest thing to what you want I know about.

IIRC, I think I had better success with illuminating the light pipe with a LED when I ground the dome off the LED and just had a flat top on the LED.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2013-10-09 11:37
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    This is the closest thing to what you want I know about.

IIRC, I think I had better success with illuminating the light pipe with a LED when I ground the dome off the LED and just had a flat top on the LED.

Here is the light pipe with a laser - haven't really tried it with a LED

attachment.php?attachmentid=104339

Light Pipe.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 103K
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-10-09 13:12
    Reach wrote: »
    ...I think they make larger diameter fiber optic toys that glow but I need something small (mm's). Any ideas?

If you're not talking about large lengths and you don't need to bend the stuff (much), I'm guessing you could get some very clear acrylic or other plastic material and lightly roughen the outer jacket of it with fine sand paper so, instead of the light bouncing around via internal reflections, some of the light leaks through the roughened areas. I've never tried it myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. To get the light into the fiber, you would polish its ends.

If not acrylic rod, probably cheap acrylic optical fiber would work for this if you sand off the cladding, I suppose.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-10-09 15:02
    Side-emitting fiber optics or electroluminescent (EL) wire both fit the bill. EL wire is a little easier to find, as it's often used in costumes and rave party outfits, but it requires an inverter to operate. Places like Cool Neon sell all kinds. Side emitting fiber optics can be found at online specialty sources. Do a Web search and you'll find it. MegaBrite and MegaGlow are two examples of side-emitting fiber optics.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2013-10-09 15:09
    How small? Down at 0.019" and 0.029" diameter you can look into replacement fibers for archery sights. They are made of a type of acrylic that absorbs light, yet reflects it internally. The result is a bright glow that based upon ambient light levels. You could also introduce light from an LED to gain other effects.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Lone-Peak-Replacement-Sight-Fibers/productDetail/Sights-and-Pins/prod9999011715/cat100509
    http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/TruGlo-Optic-FIB-3PK/productDetail/Sights-and-Pins/prod73297/cat100509
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-10-09 15:13
    Side-emitting fiber optics or electroluminescent (EL) wire both fit the bill. EL wire is a little easier to find, as it's often used in costumes and rave party outfits, but it requires an inverter to operate. Places like Cool Neon sell all kinds. Side emitting fiber optics can be found at online specialty sources. Do a Web search and you'll find it. MegaBrite and MegaGlow are two examples of side-emitting fiber optics.

Gordon, I've seen lots of examples of EL wire, but I don't think I've seen side-emitting fiber optics. Have you used the side-emitting stuff yourself? Did you like it?

I've used the light pipe with the white center I linked to earlier and thought it did what it claimed to do reasonably well.

I'm a fan of most things glowy, and I'm interested to hear what you all think of the various options provided so far.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-10-09 18:02
    Yes, I've used both. The light pipe works well, but for <1mm the cheapest alternatives are EL wire and separate strands of side-emitting optical fiber. Otherwise you start getting into the industrial stuff. You can buy the optical fiber in thicker solid core or stranded in a clear jacket. Sparkfun's price is good for the amount you get. Like EL, much of this comes from the same source and is imported under various names.

Here's one outfit that sells the stranded:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Sideglow.htm

Multiple strands makes it glow brighter.

You can sometimes find these locally if there's an auto customizer nearby. They use these quite a bit on the limos they pimp out.