Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot - where is the GuiBot software? — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot - where is the GuiBot software?

rcricercrice Posts: 7
edited 2013-10-06 19:26 in Robotics
I have a stack of Boe-Bot kits ready to use for a Boy Scout merit badge. Was going to get the Scouts started by using the Gui-Bot software. Went looking for it to install on my new laptop, and can't for the life of me find it.

I see the regular programming environment, but wanted to use the gui-bot tool as a first experience.

Robert

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-10-04 20:34
    I've never head of a GUI for the BOE-BOT. There is a GUI for the Scribbler here, but it's not compatible as far as I know. Did you confuse them?

Scribbler GUI:
    0J3132.600.jpg?91897734cc96a3f46205b6238c4b4ceb
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-10-05 12:24
    I would think that the Scribbler S1 would be compatible since it uses a BS2. I have a copy of that. PM me your email address and I will send it over. I also have something from way back when called Micro GUI. It is in my Parallax Software download directory so it must have something to do with Parallax. I will try to install it on my XP system to see what it is.
  • Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
    edited 2013-10-05 12:38
    Robert,

I believe this may be the software you are looking for.

Tony
  • rcricercrice Posts: 7
    edited 2013-10-06 14:40
    Tony - thanks. Just what I was looking for.
    For those not familiar, GUI-BOT is a gui/drag & drop programming environment for the BOE-BOT.

Not the same as the tool for the scribbler.

Thanks

Rob

Tony B. wrote: »
    Robert,

I believe this may be the software you are looking for.

Tony
    edited 2013-10-06 16:45
    I had actually forgot that even existed. @Tony B, where the heck did you dig that uo from?
    edited 2013-10-06 17:58
    @rcrice Glad to help! I'm 110% behind any educational effort to teach young people microcontrollers and robotics.

@NWCCTV I have a Parallax directory in which I keep a lot of Parallax files, code, documentation, and software. I found it a few years ago and thought it would be good to keep and maybe use some day for teaching.
    edited 2013-10-06 18:48
    I do the same thing. I thought I had seen that one some time ago and downloaded it but I must not have. A few years ago I had downloaded pretty much everything Parallax had on their download site so that one must have been removed before then. Just curius as to why they do not still have it as a download so beginners can use it.
    edited 2013-10-06 19:26
    I too wonder why it is not available. With a great robot like the BOE-BOT, I had planned to use this software to introduce kids to programing the BOE-BOT. I would then move them into PBASIC programing and how to use the many available sensors to add power and versatility to the BOE-BOT. I would then challenge and test their understanding through competitions. I know this is nothing new, but I think is has at least one great benefit. The student makes one investment in a BOE-BOT kit and with that one kit he can work with the BOE board to learn programming with "What’s a Microcontroller". Then they put the board on the BOT and work through "Robotics with the BOE-BOT" and learning additional sensors. Finally, they can purchase an Activity Board and learn to program the Propeller and have a Propeller powered BOT. For $210 plus whatever sensor they want you have an awesome learning system.

I would really like to develop this into a new learning track/program. When a student had successfully completed the work with the BS2 and BOE-BOT and an adult verified it, Parallax could let them purchase an Activity Board at a reduced cost. I think it could be a win win for the students and Parallax.