Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
X-Box One sensor uses time of flight — Parallax Forums

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-10-04 14:07
    Well, I find the whole thing very interesting. I know it's for a game machine, but there's billions $$ to be made from this, commercial, industrial, security, and defense. I'm sure Microsoft is well aware of it. It's amazing what they can do for the selling price of the thing. Any inkling of their commercializing the IP beyond the XBox One into say, and industrial-grade sensor?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-10-04 21:36
    Utterly fantastic technology. WANT!
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2013-10-04 21:58
    Well, I find the whole thing very interesting. I know it's for a game machine, but there's billions $$ to be made from this, commercial, industrial, security, and defense. I'm sure Microsoft is well aware of it. It's amazing what they can do for the selling price of the thing. Any inkling of their commercializing the IP beyond the XBox One into say, and industrial-grade sensor?

Time of flight cameras already exist as industrial sensors. They just cost as much as a small car right now. The big innovation is Microsoft throwing the manufacturing volumes of the Xbox ONE at a time of flight sensor chip and image processor so that one of these awesome camera's can be included in a ~$100 peripheral.

AFIK, these sensors have a counter at each pixel that starts when the transmit laser pulses and stops when a pixel sees a burst of light. The article stated 100pS resolution so it might be an analog "counter" instead of a little 8-16bit digital counter running with a 10GHz clock. (this is almost certainly a CMOS sensor given the pixel circuitry required.) I'd love to see the details of each pixel and the readout circuit :)

Marty