Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TCS3200 Color Filter — Parallax Forums

TCS3200 Color Filter

prodisoftprodisoft Posts: 1
edited 2013-09-22 19:41 in Accessories
Hi all, mi name is Jair Gutierrez, electronic student, i have a little project, i am trying read some coffe grains usually the are red, yellow, and green, i think i can use the TCS3200 color sensor i have some code to use it in arduino, the code i find, read green, blue and red, how can i read yellow?, i am lost in this part i think the sensor reads a frecuency and give some info like this https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1077882_1397707823782111_22420839_o.jpg so i can use different ranges for differents colors i need, the clear option what means?

Thanks a lot for your help

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-09-22 19:41
    Weclome to the forum, prodisoft!

The filters in the TCS3200 chip are fairly wideband, and their wavelength responses overlap a bit. Since yellow is between red and green in the color spectrum, it will produce responses in both the red and green outputs from the sensor. A pure red will produce less of a green response, and a pure green will produce less of a red response. The trick for your app is to sample known colors and store them in the Arduino for future reference. Then, when presented with an unknown color, you can compare the responses with those of known colors and pick the one which matches most closely.

-Phil