Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
7-digit LED Display — Parallax Forums

7-digit LED Display

edited 2013-09-24 09:06 in BASIC Stamp
I had to purchase a new display and the connectors run opposite of how the one in the text runs. Do we have suggestions as to how to set this one up?

I also have a 28 digit display (4 sets of numbers) and twelve connectors. Is there a link to information as to how to code it and connect it.

Thanks,

Ron

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-09-14 10:41
    There are a lot different kinds 7-segment displays.

The way they are used will depend if they are common anode or common cathode.

Do you have links to information about the displays you have?
  • edited 2013-09-14 10:51
    I think I have the information needed for the 7-Digit Display - it's on the back of the Radio Shack package - doh! I'm a bit rusty.

I'll come back later for information about the other display.

Thanks,

Ron
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2013-09-14 10:59
    Looks like it's Common-Cathode (e.g just a single ground on pin 4 and 12)
    so connect eight 220-330ohm resistors to 8 basic pins then to Anode a-g and a high signal turns it on.

Anode A (Pin 14) controls the Top
    Anode B (Pin 13) controls the Upper Right
    Pin 9 (Anode DP) controls the Decimal Point
    Anode C (Pin 8) controls the Lower Right
    Anode D (Pin 7) Controls the Bottom
    Anode E (Pin 6) Controls the Lower Left
    Anode F (Pin 1) Controls the Upper Left
    Anode G (Pin 2) Controls the Middle
    19554502_142158_full.jpg
  • benybeny Posts: 2
    edited 2013-09-24 07:53
    @ Electrically Challenged, there're are just so many different types of displays these days, it'd be great if you can mention the type and pin configuration of the ones you're using. Also, if you're using them with a microcontroller, especially PIC, this is not a big deal, all you need to do is use the PICc compiler. This compiler has built in options for many different types of displays that can directly be interfaced with the PIC without any additional problems. Just select the type from the menu and the compiler automatically inserts the required header files and initialization functions. You just give one command and viola, it works like a charm.

smt pcb assembly
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-09-24 09:06
    beny wrote: »
    @ Electrically Challenged, there're are just so many different types of displays these days, it'd be great if you can mention the type and pin configuration of the ones you're using.

I believe Tony posted the pin configuration in the post just before yours.
    beny wrote: »
    Also, if you're using them with a microcontroller, especially PIC, this is not a big deal, all you need to do is use the PICc compiler. This compiler has built in options for many different types of displays that can directly be interfaced with the PIC without any additional problems. Just select the type from the menu and the compiler automatically inserts the required header files and initialization functions. You just give one command and viola, it works like a charm.

This is the Basic Stamp forum. The PIC compiler you mentioned isn't going to be of much use.