Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Castellated/Edge-plated PCBs: any socket or adapter available — Parallax Forums

Castellated/Edge-plated PCBs: any socket or adapter available

timcoddtimcodd Posts: 1
edited 2013-09-13 08:03 in General Discussion
Hi,

There are more products (modules) being made using "Castellated" type edge-plated connectors, such as what is seen on popular bluetooth modules. Is this the right way to reference them? Is there a better term?

I'd like to find a way to "mount" these type modules for easy removal, e.g. so they can be removed for reprogramming, etc. I don't expect a standard socket that would attach all edges
since they are board specific and non-standard placement. But I have to believe there's a commercial source for a row of socket pins of varying number pins and pitch (e.g. 2.54mm, 2mm) that can accommodate this kind of edge connector. Any ideas?

I do know one vendor that provides a socket for their IMU module. The plastic holder that holds the board in place is obviously 3D Printed, but the two in-line 8-pin socket contacts provide spring loaded contact. They won't tell me where
to get the spring loaded socket piece.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-09-13 08:03
    I think the easiest way to use something with Castellated edges would be to made a board to mount it to add normal through hole connector to the board. This would add some bulk to the board though.

As far as spring loaded pins are concerned, the ones I'm aware of are Pogo Pins. SparkFun and Adafruit also sell Pogo Pins. They're available with different types of tips. Some tips may work better with the Castellated boards than others.