Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MINDS-i Robotics — Parallax Forums

MINDS-i Robotics

tlinestlines Posts: 5
edited 2013-09-11 13:55 in Robotics
Hello!

I am working on this new project at MINDS-i Robotics and I need some feedback on this project.

Here at Minds-i we are the creators of a proprietary line of products that are used to create the most advanced, dynamic and durable robots and off-road vehicles available today.

Here is a video that shows off MINDS-i:

Here is the link if the video doesn't work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ4YNM84KYc

Again please leave a comment below and tell me what you think about this new line of products.

Thanks!

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-09-11 12:44
    Wow!

Do you use any Parallax products in your products?

Would it be easy to integrate Parallax products into your products?

By Proprietary....um, you may turn a lot of people off here and want to explain that a bit more. We're big into Open.

Is this just an attempt to advertise your products on another company's forum that is Robotics oriented?

That's about all the comments I can think of at this time.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-09-11 12:52
    The video looks neat and the products look durable but I noticed the quadcopter didn't take off. People here might use the products if they can use our favorite chip the Propeller to control them.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-09-11 12:57
    Rick,

Yes, they can be used with Parallax products.

Our own beloved Carol Hazlett recently wrote an article in Robots Magazine about hexapods. The hexapods in her article were built from MINDS-i components.

Based on a limited understanding of what MINDS-i is, I think it's a lot like Technic Lego. I think they are even compatible with Lego (not sure about this). One of the limitations of making a Lego robot is they come apart too easy. I think Minds-i has some special locking connectors to make the robots more durable.

I'm a big fan of Lego. I have a huge Lego collection. While I like Lego, I only use some of the components in a few of my robots. Wood and aluminum are just so much less expensive and I easy to cut to size. It's been a while since I've looked at Minds-i pieces but from what I remember they're relatively expensive (I'm not saying overpriced). I also think the Boe-Bot and ActivityBot are expensive.

As I pointed out to Carol, I made my first hexapod out of popsicle sticks. I'm all for making robots with inexpensive materials. This doesn't mean I'm against using more expensive robot kits. I don't know enough about Minds-i to have a strong opinion either way. I do have a strong opinion that in general, more robots are better.

Edit: I also noticed the quadcopter didn't take flight. If it's in the video as a joke, okay. If it's in the video to imply it work (and if it doesn't) then I think it should be removed from the video. My impression was it was kind of a joke about taking the sets to an extreme. I also had the impression the video was cut right before the thing was engulfed in a ball of fire.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-09-11 13:04
    Thanks, Duane!

They look very interesting. Ruggedized Legos would be a fun tool. My concerns about proprietary would be with the motor and sensor interfaces and connectors. While Lego electrical components can be mixed up with other systems, it's a hassle and not a good building block tool. If MINDS-i can provide a mechanical platform and motors that a Propeller can interface with (and the interface is documented), then it's a good mix!

Sorry if I was too harsh...must have a case of the grumpies - work and other stuff is keeping me away from my ActivityBot today!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-09-11 13:53
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Sorry if I was too harsh...

I think it was understandable. The post did kind of smell like a popular can meat product, but I decided it smelled more like deviled ham after all.

BTW, The controller sold by Minds-i is the Arduino. All the sensor look very Propeller compatible.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-09-11 13:55
    Great video. Looks like a pretty cool construction system to make RC vehicles, very much like another LEGO/KNEX/VEX. Nifty quarter-twist connector; now is it actually better than nuts & bolts, or just different? Launching rockets off the back sure is dramatic, but for me, robotics is about precise control and autonomy. None of that comes through in that video. What I see are vehicles which are very fast, fast enough to roll over and you claim they are durable.

IOW, where's the line following, wall following, PIR-following, speech recognition & synthesis, figure-8 driving, beacon tracking, dead reckoning, arm & gripper activating, maze solving, object avoiding, blob & facial recognition, GPS navigating, big brain artificial intelligence killer app?

There's a current thread about ditch & culvert inspection by video robot, that might be another app for you. A durable robot that can go reliably through mud & muck, send back clear video (pan/tilt/zoom) and take hi-res photos. Dull, dirty & dangerous did wonders for Colin & Helen of iRobot. Helen broke off a few years back. Last I heard, she started a company to do (among other things) quadcopter remote inspection of bridges and structures. http://cyphyworks.com/about/leadership/

All my ranting reminds me of a joke:

Q: What's the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers?

A: Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build targets.