Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial LCD Questions — Parallax Forums

Serial LCD Questions

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
edited 2013-10-01 14:46 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
Yesterday I bought this fellow 2x16 Serial LCD Backlit, with Speaker, from Radio Shack, but on clearance, instead of costing its listing price of $29.99, they were selling it at $9.97. I suspect its being on clearance was the fault of the company's complete lack of understanding the market. (Just an opinion.)

After tracking down the pages for it here, http://www.parallax.com/product/27977 I was able to get it working in a matter of minutes on the Basic Stamp2 board that I'm currently using.

Of course I also notice that it wears a unique three pin connector, and track down through my collection to see if I have any who come close. It's a long, actually a very long shot there. Now I notice that RS is also selling, or thinks they are selling the cables I might need to make it work, they show 800-00041-RT as the cataloging number from Parallax, and naturally there's no stock anywhere in the area that they think is appropriate. In fact the Parallax site is thinking that the number there isn't part of the catalog. Is RS making that up or are there other issues? But oddly enough Microcenter who does sell Parallax items a heck of a lot better then RS does sell them. This still doesn't explain why the search functions for the Parallax site didn't respond. And as it happens I did find a related item under the display, which was the same cable idea. Strange.......

However I did recall that the pins on the display resemble the same style pins as the ones to be used to connect these cables to a breadboard, and I do have the things that they can be plugged into. So I'm off to assemble a break-out board that has on it just such a connector and one for the cable I plan on using. The cable was last found inside a computer connecting a CD[DVD]-ROM drive to a sound card.....

Next on to the display:
To show text I simply make use of the example for loading my text onto the display:
 =========================================================================[FONT=helvetica][SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]'
'   File...... Serial_LCD_Template.BS2
'   Purpose... Template for Parallax Serial LCD
'   Author.... (c) Parallax, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved
'   E-mail.... support@parallax.com
'   Started...
'   Updated... 11 FEB 2005
'
'   {$STAMP BS2}
'   {$PBASIC 2.5}
'
' =========================================================================

' -----[ Program Description ]---------------------------------------------

' -----[ Revision History ]------------------------------------------------

' -----[ I/O Definitions ]-------------------------------------------------

TX              PIN     0               ' serial output to LCD

' -----[ Constants ]-------------------------------------------------------

#SELECT $STAMP
  #CASE BS2, BS2E, BS2PE
    T2400       CON     396
    T9600       CON     84
    T19K2       CON     32
  #CASE BS2SX, BS2P
    T2400       CON     1021
    T9600       CON     240
    T19K2       CON     110
#ENDSELECT

LcdBaud         CON     T19K2

LcdBkSpc        CON     $08             ' move cursor left
LcdRt           CON     $09             ' move cursor right
LcdLF           CON     $0A             ' move cursor down 1 line
LcdCls          CON     $0C             ' clear LCD (use PAUSE 5 after)
LcdCR           CON     $0D             ' move pos 0 of next line
LcdBLon         CON     $11             ' backlight on
LcdBLoff        CON     $12             ' backlight off
LcdOff          CON     $15             ' LCD off
LcdOn1          CON     $16             ' LCD on; cursor off, blink off
LcdOn2          CON     $17             ' LCD on; cursor off, blink on
LcdOn3          CON     $18             ' LCD on; cursor on, blink off
LcdOn4          CON     $19             ' LCD on; cursor on, blink on
LcdLine1        CON     $80             ' move to line 1, column 0
LcdLine2        CON     $94             ' move to line 2, column 0

LcdCC0          CON     $F8             ' define custom char 0
LcdCC1          CON     $F9             ' define custom char 1
LcdCC2          CON     $FA             ' define custom char 2
LcdCC3          CON     $FB             ' define custom char 3
LcdCC4          CON     $FC             ' define custom char 4
LcdCC5          CON     $FD             ' define custom char 5
LcdCC6          CON     $FE             ' define custom char 6
LcdCC7          CON     $FF             ' define custom char 7

' -----[ Variables ]-------------------------------------------------------

' -----[ EEPROM Data ]-----------------------------------------------------

' -----[ Initialization ]--------------------------------------------------

Reset:
  HIGH TX                               ' setup serial output pin
  PAUSE 100                             ' allow LCD to initialize

' -----[ Program Code ]----------------------------------------------------

Main:

' your code here

GOTO Main
  END

' -----[ Subroutines ]-----------------------------------------------------

And then logically what I would want done goes inside the labels of Main and the GOTO command? Or am I missing something. Please advise.
Incidentally if anyone is interested in why I am going through all of this upset concerning the display, please track back through my postings/musings on using the Stamps to communicate with programmable logic devices.

An update, even though this thread has been solved, I felt that my original statement needed more information, that of having purchased the cable set (retail kit) from Microcenter, I have since confirmed that the code displayed above works. It will show characters crawling across the display by simply inserting the appropriate serial output expressions inside that GOTO block.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-09-08 07:08

Of course I also notice that it wears a unique three pin connector, and track down through my collection to see if I have any who come close. It's a long, actually a very long shot there. Now I notice that RS is also selling, or thinks they are selling the cables I might need to make it work, they show 800-00041-RT as the cataloging number from Parallax, and naturally there's no stock anywhere in the area that they think is appropriate. In fact the Parallax site is thinking that the number there isn't part of the catalog. Is RS making that up or are there other issues? But oddly enough Microcenter who does sell Parallax items a heck of a lot better then RS does sell them. This still doesn't explain why the search functions for the Parallax site didn't respond. And as it happens I did find a related item under the display, which was the same cable idea. Strange.......

However I did recall that the pins on the display resemble the same style pins as the ones to be used to connect these cables to a breadboard, and I do have the things that they can be plugged into. So I'm off to assemble a break-out board that has on it just such a connector and one for the cable I plan on using. The cable was last found inside a computer connecting a CD[DVD]-ROM drive to a sound card.....

The three pin connector is used on many Parallax devices; Ping, PIR, to name two. All the serial LCD's have had three pin connectors for quite some time. And it is a common servo connection scheme.

The reason you did not find part number 800-00041-RT on the Parallax site, it is a unique product developed for retail outlets, (BTW that's what the RT means..Retail). It is a package of three cables. Parallax sells single cable on their site. Turn the 800-00041 into 800-00041, and you will find one of the cables in the package.

You can find all the retail products at http://www.parallax.com/RT
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2013-09-08 07:25
    I usually make my own cables using male/female pins such as the ones from Polou http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1930 and http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1931

You can also get the plastic housings in various housings e.g. from Pololu http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1902 or
    just use 1/16" heatshrink instead http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=A116B-4-ND

I have a crimp tool but tend to solder the pins (soldering can interfere with using the plastic housings).

The Parallax LCD warns not to send data on the TX line unless power is applied first, so have nice soldered connections can help prevent the wires from pulling out of the pins and causing a problem.
    edited 2013-09-08 07:34
    Below is a little BS2 example to display the custom characters and normal ASCII chars

Also here is a pic showing the Parallax LCD and GPS module with a BS2P

attachment.php?attachmentid=103681
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    #SELECT $STAMP
      #CASE BS2, BS2E, BS2PE
        T2400       CON     396
        T9600       CON     84
        T19K2       CON     32
      #CASE BS2SX, BS2P
        T2400       CON     1021
        T9600       CON     240
        T19K2       CON     110
    #ENDSELECT
    LcdBkSpc        CON     $08             ' move cursor left
    LcdRt           CON     $09             ' move cursor right
    LcdLF           CON     $0A             ' move cursor down 1 line
    LcdCls          CON     $0C             ' clear LCD (use PAUSE 5 after)
    LcdCR           CON     $0D             ' move pos 0 of next line
    LcdBLon         CON     $11             ' backlight on
    LcdBLoff        CON     $12             ' backlight off
    LcdOff          CON     $15             ' LCD off
    LcdOn1          CON     $16             ' LCD on; cursor off, blink off
    LcdOn2          CON     $17             ' LCD on; cursor off, blink on
    LcdOn3          CON     $18             ' LCD on; cursor on, blink off
    LcdOn4          CON     $19             ' LCD on; cursor on, blink on
    LcdLine1        CON     $80             ' move to line 1, column 0
    LcdLine2        CON     $94             ' move to line 2, column 0
    LcdCC0          CON     $F8             ' define custom char 0
    LcdCC1          CON     $F9             ' define custom char 1
    LcdCC2          CON     $FA             ' define custom char 2
    LcdCC3          CON     $FB             ' define custom char 3
    LcdCC4          CON     $FC             ' define custom char 4
    LcdCC5          CON     $FD             ' define custom char 5
    LcdCC6          CON     $FE             ' define custom char 6
    LcdCC7          CON     $FF             ' define custom char 7
    LcdBaud         CON     T19K2
    TxPin     CON   15
    scl VAR Byte
    idx VAR Byte
    HIGH TxPin                       ' Set serial pin port high
    PAUSE 2000                       ' Pause to initialize
    SEROUT TxPin, LcdBaud, [LcdCls]  ' Clear
    PAUSE 5
    SEROUT TxPin, LcdBaud, [LcdBLon, LcdOn1]    ' Clear, turn on backlight
    'SEROUT TxPin, LcdBaud, [LcdLine2+15]
      FOR idx = 0 TO 7
        SEROUT TxPin, LcdBaud, [idx]
        PAUSE 50
      NEXT
      FOR idx = 32 TO 127
        SEROUT TxPin, LcdBaud, [idx]
        PAUSE 50
      NEXT
    PAUSE 3000                       ' Wait 3 seconds
    'SEROUT TxPin, LcdBaud, [LcdBLoff]        ' Turn backlight off

• Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2013-09-08 09:56
    I usually make my own cables using male/female pins such as the ones from Polou http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1930 and http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1931

You can also get the plastic housings in various housings e.g. from Pololu http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1902 or
    just use 1/16" heatshrink instead http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=A116B-4-ND

I have a crimp tool but tend to solder the pins (soldering can interfere with using the plastic housings).

The Parallax LCD warns not to send data on the TX line unless power is applied first, so have nice soldered connections can help prevent the wires from pulling out of the pins and causing a problem.

Hello!
    Oddly enough the pins they are showing are the same ones that are used for the connectors originally used for connecting stuff to a sound card. Which tells me I am definitely on to something there.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2013-09-08 11:27
    Off to RS, three stores near me have them for $9.99 that is awesome!
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2013-09-08 11:37
    Might want to call first to in sure that the clerk can actually find it.

Tracked down four in my area, but one store could not find theirs even though his computer said he had one in inventory.
    xanadu wrote: »
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2013-09-08 11:42
    Copy that Mike.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-09-08 12:33
    xanadu wrote: »

$9.97 ! All their clearance prices end in .97 cents. If you pay $9.99, you're getting ripped off! :)
    edited 2013-09-08 13:27
    erco wrote: »
    $9.97 ! All their clearance prices end in .97 cents. If you pay $9.99, you're getting ripped off! :)

Somebody stop me - I've bought five of them since they went on sale!
    edited 2013-09-08 14:21

Hello!
    I can't. You're too far away from me.

However I just finished an interesting research study of the Jameco website. I have just discovered that the connectors Parallax has waiting for us to use with these displays and several other items are indeed part of the same family that get shoehorned into cables for tying together soundcards and CD[DVD]-ROM drives in desktops. The big difference is in the plastic bodies that the metal connectors are inserted into. And this wasn't erco's or xanadu's faults either.

Just over a year earlier I bought from Jameco two TTL grab bags and several items of the sort that made up these cables. I, ah, had an idea. It never accumulated into anything sadly, but the TTL parts were and still are a big help.

Now that I'm returning to the Parallax style of doing something, who knows? I might need those bags....
    edited 2013-09-08 14:36
    Hello!
    I can't. You're too far away from me.

However I just finished an interesting research study of the Jameco website. I have just discovered that the connectors Parallax has waiting for us to use with these displays and several other items are indeed part of the same family that get shoehorned into cables for tying together soundcards and CD[DVD]-ROM drives in desktops. The big difference is in the plastic bodies that the metal connectors are inserted into. And this wasn't erco's or xanadu's faults either.

Just over a year earlier I bought from Jameco two TTL grab bags and several items of the sort that made up these cables. I, ah, had an idea. It never accumulated into anything sadly, but the TTL parts were and still are a big help.

Now that I'm returning to the Parallax style of doing something, who knows? I might need those bags....

I have also bought the same pins and plastic housing from Jameco - the pins are part numbers 145358 (male) and 100766 (female).\

You can also get some nice ribbon cable at Sparkfun https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10646
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-09-08 20:27

You and I are tied at five LCDs each, Ron.

Ain't no hoarder like a Parallax hoarder!
    edited 2013-09-09 05:30
    erco wrote: »
    You and I are tied at five LCDs each, Ron.

Ain't no hoarder like a Parallax hoarder!

I must not be a "true" hoarder - I left one on the shelf last night:smile:
  • geograygeogray Posts: 4
    edited 2013-09-28 10:07
    Picked up three of them for $4.95 at three different Shacks in Richmond, VA. Love these things.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-09-29 17:50
    I am curious if Buck's original post should be marked as solved?
    edited 2013-09-29 21:50
    I am curious if Buck's original post should be marked as solved?

Hello!
    Technically yes, since I'm buying the cable set tomorrow from our friends at Microcenter, even though Parallax's site can't show me the page because of technology fatigue.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-09-30 08:53
    Thanks Buck. Sorry, thread was getting off-topic and I wasn't sure where you were at on things. :thumb:
    edited 2013-10-01 14:46
    Thanks Buck. Sorry, thread was getting off-topic and I wasn't sure where you were at on things. :thumb:

Hello!
    It was? I encourage off-topic discussions as long as they are within the frame of reference that the thread was originally fixed on. If it drifts even further far afield then usual then I'll insist we close it and move elsewhere.

Especially since Ron C. was very right about those cables and connectors and header pins. So with that this thread is definitely solved and even closed.