Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stuck Boe-Bot — Parallax Forums

Stuck Boe-Bot

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2013-08-31 17:31 in Robotics
The Boe-Bot is outside on a flat area and becomes stuck in mud or on ice.

The drive wheels are spinning but the robot is going nowhere.

There are no objects within the range of 9-feet for the Ping to see.

The ground is relatively flat and has the same unchanging surface material, reflectivity and color.

How will the processor know the Boe-Bot is stuck and not moving across the ground?

Perhaps a third wheel, encoded "idler," in contact with the ground can determine if Boe-bot is moving.

Can you think of any other simple methods?

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-08-29 09:03
    Is this a test? Contest?

What if it's stuck on a treadmill? :)

The S2 monitors the idler tailwheel to check for rotation. Optical sensor/holes in wheel.

Cheap sensor options: output from a horizontal-looking photocell or compass should change while turning. A horizontal mercury switch should jostle predictably when doing forward/reverse/forward/reverse. Occasionally testing via these maneuvers would tell the bot if it's stuck and should radio for Quadrotor extraction.

Not necessarily cheap: GPS, accelerometer, gyro.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-08-29 09:08
    erco wrote: »
    Is this a test? Contest?

What if it's stuck on a treadmill? :)

The S2 monitors the idler tailwheel to check for rotation. Optical sensor/holes in wheel.

Cheap sensor options: output from a horizontal-looking photocell or compass should change while turning. A horizontal mercury switch should jostle predictably when doing forward/reverse/forward/reverse. Occasionally testing via these maneuvers would tell the bot if it's stuck and should radio for Quadrotor extraction.

Not necessarily cheap: GPS, accelerometer, gyro.

Make sure your Quadrotor is insured properly to operate in a 18ft diameter clear flight envelope. This could be costly! :smile:

I was thinking a light sensor (can't add "evenly lit area" to the equation, now). I like the mercury switch as a jostle sensor. I think the S2's stall sensor in the tailwheel works well.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-29 09:09
    erco is much faster than me. Caster wheel has a sensor for the exact reason you specified.
    edited 2013-08-29 10:16
    Who will be the first to Youtube a Boebot or Scribbler on a treadmill?
    edited 2013-08-29 10:44
    Humanoido wrote: »

How will the processor know the Boe-Bot is stuck and not moving across the ground?

Perhaps a third wheel, encoded "idler," in contact with the ground can determine if Boe-bot is moving.

Can you think of any other simple methods?

Next question. What can you do about it? It's stuck.
    edited 2013-08-29 10:57
    Use your Pyrotechnic Extraction Tool for Autonomous Robotic Devices (PETARD)! :lol:

Should add some spice to the contest and the youtube videos! (be sure to check with your insurance carrier before demonstarting this in crowded areas)
    edited 2013-08-29 11:11
    Use another Bot with IR to locate it, then give it a push.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2013-08-29 13:38
    Publison wrote: »
    Use another Bot with IR to locate it, then give it a push.

Now two bots are stuck!
    edited 2013-08-29 13:40

You can at least stop draining the battery with the motors and engage the 'cry baby' module to conserve battery and let the big brains know you are in trouble.
    edited 2013-08-29 13:44
    photomankc wrote: »
    Now two bots are stuck!

No. The second bot was a Wild Thumper. :)
    edited 2013-08-29 13:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b4ZZQkcNEo&feature=player_detailpage#t=8
    edited 2013-08-29 14:07
    erco wrote: »

Hold on there, son....11 pounds?, jumping?, exposed metal edges? You're gonna need some insurance to run that around the neighborhood!! :smile:
    edited 2013-08-29 14:16
    Quadrotors attacking from above the grandstands, Sand Fleas from below. It's Thunder Dome!
    edited 2013-08-30 09:10
    No. The second bot was a Wild Thumper. :)

Oh, in that case it's like a pool ball!
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2013-08-30 13:55
    That Sand Flea is one tough little robot. It reminds me of the Frog R/C car my little brother used to have.
  • propMakerpropMaker Posts: 65
    edited 2013-08-30 17:45

Rockets!
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-08-30 21:11

Send in a TOWBOT.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2013-08-31 03:52
    Excellent ideas. This link shows what I'm currently thinking about. The question was asked because I'm building "exploring Boe-Bot" that will operate autonomously and remotely, radioing back data. With no direct access to it, and if it becomes stuck, it will need to find its own solution. It's hoped a small momentum driver program will free it after the "stuck sensor" reports, "It's stuck!!!"
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2013-08-31 17:31
    The Boe-Bot was never designed for exploring but if you hook up several Boe-Bots in to a centipede-like configuration then you have extra drive wheels in case some get stuck.
    If you anticipate the Boe-Bot will get stuck in mud or ice then have it look for and avoid these obstacles. I would think mud would be an uneven surface and ice would reflect much stronger than normal ground.
    A centipede bot would be a good use for the big brain.