Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propeller servo controller USB and Vixen — Parallax Forums

propeller servo controller USB and Vixen

cannixcannix Posts: 2
edited 2013-08-27 07:41 in Robotics
Hello,

Not so long ago, i bought myself a servo controller from parallax planning to use it with vixen 2.x or 3.x
Unfortunaly, it doesn't work.
I tried the psc.dll from the vixen support forum (v2.x): doesn't work. logging shows a time out determine the baudrate
I used the psc.dll suplied with vixen 3.0: same problem.
Then i downloaded the generic serial driver from http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=1917.msg11344#msg11344
the error is gone, the LED's on the board blink when i change values of the servos channels but the servo itself doesn't move an inch.
I posted the problem on efx-tek and someone was willing to quicky help me but reminded me that is was no eft-tek product.
He gave me a .spinn file that made the board work in a quick test: servo's move when vixen tells it to move.
When i start testing it fully, it didn't work properly.
Since it is a parallax product, I think parallax should help me instead of efx-tek.
I hope i get the same quick and nice support as on efx-tek support forum with my problem.

I hope someone can make me a spinn file that works with the psc.dll or give me a working psc.dll
I don't mind if it's for vixen 2.1.1.0 of 3.0.7

Who can help me?

Please help me.

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-08-27 04:35
    Welcome to the forum cannix. The PSC uses a specific protocol openly published in the PSC manual. If Vixen 2.X software does not send the expected protocol, the PSC will not know what to do.

Please download and run the PSCi software from the PSC product page to rule out connection, driver, and power issues . PSCi is a windows application for controlling the PSC. Once PSCi is functioning as expected then try Vixen 2.x. If Vixen 2.x does not work as expected, consult the Vixen 2.x documentation.

Vixen 2.x is not a Parallax product so I'm not sure how much folks around here can help. but maybe someone has experience...
  • cannixcannix Posts: 2
    edited 2013-08-27 06:14
    PSCi works fine. already tested that.
    I know vixen isn't a parallax product, but PSC is. the efx-tek forum user managed to rewrite the eprom in a way it almost worked. he used the PSC IO definitions from parallax. he had no psc board so could not test is. I guess someone here can do the same and make it work since parallax has knowlage about there own boards.
    Or atleast help me abit in the right direction. I'm not a programmer so i won't be able to make a dll myself. But i know if you are handy, it is posible...
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-08-27 07:41
    Vixen isn't a Parallax product and EFX-TEK's EZ-8+ isn't the same thing as the PSC. The EFX-TEK folks started you off with a modified firmware program for the PSC that sounds like it mostly works at present. That's a bit of work for them and it's really nice of them to have done that much. I suggest you go back to the EFX-TEK forum, be suitably thankful, explain what works and what doesn't work (and in what way it doesn't work) and ask for further help. If they're not too busy and you're patient, you'll eventually get some more help.