Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PCB layout? — Parallax Forums

PCB layout?

rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
edited 2013-08-28 20:26 in Propeller 2
This is my first attempt at PCB layout:)

The idea is to design two through hole boards, the first adapts the PCIe4X so that it fits a breadboard. The second board adapts the first so that QuickStart add-on boards can be used with the P2..
I began this before the Expo.

In his Skype call, Chip mentioned that Parallax would offer both of these capabilities... breadboard and 40-pin quickstart pin adapter. So, I think
the only thing I am going to actually have to make is the second little adapter, which can be made by modifying a VeroBoard.
P2boards.jpg

What is wrong with this?

Rich
1024 x 576 - 97K

Comments

• TubularTubular Posts: 4,621
    edited 2013-08-27 13:59
    Nice work, rjo.

I'd make the power supply wires much thicker where you can (or a copper pour for each half), as the prop 2 could take a fair bit of current.

I haven't checked the pinouts/pin use carefully but it seems about right.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-08-27 16:11
    Try to make solid planes under the chip where you can deliver the GND and 1.8V supplies. Around the periphery, you can have wide 3.3V supplies. It's important to keep the impedance really low on the power nets.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2013-08-27 18:49
    Use pours for power.

P.S. Why is 'dip' not an acceptable forum file attachment?
    937 x 806 - 176K
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-08-27 20:14
    I am blushing.... thank you very much!
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,621
    edited 2013-08-27 22:10
    That looks better, Tony

Rjo, there is something weird about the pad near the P29 text. It looks different to all the other signal pads.
    edited 2013-08-28 12:00
    Yes, umm, well, ahh

My idea was to do minimize all the pads that weren't connected (as a later reminder that I didn't have to solder it). I got deflected after changing the first and then forgot all about it until you mentioned it.

It looks like Parallax is going to offer a breadboard adapter, so this is as far as I think I'm going with this design. BUT, at the Expo, I got a solder pot... nearly full of solder.
    And when I looked at the specs on the PCIe 4x part, it mentioned "wave soldering"... I never heard of wave soldering... so I googled that.

I'm now convinced that I need a wave soldering machine:)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-08-28 12:26
    Google "dip soldering." It's much easier and less expensive.

-Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-08-28 12:29
    rjo__
    I'm now convinced that I need a wave soldering machine
    Oh dear, there is no way "her indoors" is going to like that in the kitchen.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2013-08-28 12:46
    Hi.

Them are simple to hand solder --- But not in oven as it will melt in that

rjo__ wrote: »
    Yes, umm, well, ahh

My idea was to do minimize all the pads that weren't connected (as a later reminder that I didn't have to solder it). I got deflected after changing the first and then forgot all about it until you mentioned it.

It looks like Parallax is going to offer a breadboard adapter, so this is as far as I think I'm going with this design. BUT, at the Expo, I got a solder pot... nearly full of solder.
    And when I looked at the specs on the PCIe 4x part, it mentioned "wave soldering"... I never heard of wave soldering... so I googled that.

I'm now convinced that I need a wave soldering machine:)
    edited 2013-08-28 20:26
    you are both right... but I want one anyway. Will be watching for a diyer

now if I could just stop laughing...