Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Veho Speaker powered by BOE/Prop boards? — Parallax Forums

Veho Speaker powered by BOE/Prop boards?

John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
edited 2013-08-24 13:29 in BASIC Stamp
Can the Veho be powered by the Vdd and Vss of BOE or Prop Activity Board instead of USB?
Note: This is for power, not the signal.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-08-24 12:12
    You need a matching USB cable with the +5V and Gnd supply of the BOE or Prop Activity Board connected to the power wires in the USB cable. You'd have to look up which USB lines are which. Here's one link with pinouts. I think that D+ and D- get shorted together on power-only cables.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-08-24 12:18
    The Veho has a rechargeable battery. It comes with a USB cable that is for charging only. That cable only has power leads, no signal leads so either mark it as such or throw it out or it will cause you hours of debugging madness at some point!

So, charge it, plug in the audio turn the power on at the speaker and enjoy!!
  • John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
    edited 2013-08-24 12:42
    Physical connections I got covered. My concern is if the Veho current draw will exceed max of boards.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-08-24 12:53
    The Veho can't draw more than 500mA because of the USB specs for a high power device. Most likely it draws much less than that. You can always measure it. Then you'll know for sure.
  • John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
    edited 2013-08-24 13:29
    I thought it would be OK because I know USB is max 500 mA and the BOE datasheet says 1 amp total on regulator, but I thought maybe someone had tried and could reassure me. I'll order one and report back here on results.