Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gyro Vs. Accelerometer — Parallax Forums

Gyro Vs. Accelerometer

mit2sumitmit2sumit Posts: 1
edited 2013-09-03 06:06 in Accessories
I build my quadcopter from scratch....Used Arduino Mega and Uno, and HMTR for Remote control...
Now, during flight, I got to realize that stability is done with IMU's such as gyrosensors and accelormeters...

So, I'm if have to choose between these two sensors, which one is the most to control its stability to hover, and how it can be done!
Need fast and better suggestions!

Thanks, all

Comments

• ShawnaShawna Posts: 508
    edited 2013-08-23 07:53
    A quad can be controlled with a qyro only with great results. In order to make the quad auto-level an accelerometer must also be used. This is a propeller forum so I am not sure if anyone here has code for an Arduino Mega. What code are you currently using?

Shawn
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-08-23 08:29
    mit2sumit wrote: »
    stability is done with IMU's ... So, I'm if have to choose between these two sensors,

If you feel you have to choose between the two perhaps you have not diiscovered that you can have all four for less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10DOF-L3G4200D-ADXL345-HMC5883L-BMP085-Nine-9-axis-module-for-arduino-IMU-sensor-/200918922687?pt=Home_Automation_Modules&hash=item2ec7b375bf

accel, gyro, magn, baro for $12. Can't beat it with a stick.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-09-02 18:29
    @prof_braino, Is there anything in the OBEX for this device? I am thinking of getting one for my Wild Thumper project but I would need Prop code first.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-09-03 06:06
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    @prof_braino, Is there anything in the OBEX for this device? I am thinking of getting one for my Wild Thumper project but I would need Prop code first.

I didn't checkn the obex, but the four devices on the board are fairly common. We're slowly working on drivers in propforth. There is already a driver for the bmp085 already in the propforth download. Its usually just a matter of taking the time to read the datasheet, and start experimenting, which I haven't gotten to yet.