Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Basic Stamp found! — Parallax Forums

No Basic Stamp found!

swimmerswimmer Posts: 2
edited 2013-08-22 14:58 in BASIC Stamp
My USB Basic Stamp Homework Board is recognized with Run, Identify; but when I attempt to run code, I get the message "No Basic Stamp found".

I have reset the latency timer to 1 under device manager for the COM port, with seemingly no impact.

I have used BoeBots with the standard BS2 Board with no problems, only these Homework Boards are giving me problems. I am running Windows 7 Pro, if that makes a difference.

Please help before this gets more discouraging!

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-08-22 11:43
    You don't by chanc have a Serial terminal open do you?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-22 11:47
    The problem may be that you plugged the USB adapter in before installing the drivers.

Try uninstalling the drivers, then reinstall BEFORE plugging in the USB adapter.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-08-22 11:48
    The USB Stamp HomeWork Board normally runs off a 9V battery. These have little capacity and quickly become exhausted. Most commonly the "No Basic Stamp Found" message is due to a bad battery.
  • swimmerswimmer Posts: 2
    edited 2013-08-22 12:39
    Thank you for each of your replies! I immediately ran to the store and bought a new battery, and the problem is solved.

Having just bought a class set of 25 of these "What's a Microcontroller" kits, I am a little concerned that fresh batteries will not last for the duration of exercises in the book for all students. I will test to see if this battery lasts for the duration. Thank you, again. Sincerely appreciated.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-08-22 14:58
    The 9V battery is certainly a convenient package, but it's really designed for use with a small portable radio with a current drain of 10-30mA and a capacity of 500-600mAh (see here). A servo motor will quickly drain it with a current drain of 250mA to 1000mA depending on the mechanical load. LEDs often will draw 10mA or more ... not too bad if you're using just one, but this adds up quickly when you use 2 or 3 or 5 or more LEDs. A frequently moving servo with an LED and the HomeWork Board itself will draw 300mA or more. That's maybe 1.5 hours of use.

You're much better off using an AC supply like the 7.5V 1A ones that Parallax (or RadioShack) sells. You'll need to make an adapter for the battery clips or even permanently solder the wires from the AC adapter to the clips on the board (after cutting off the plug it comes with and stripping and tinning the ends of the wires that went to the plug). Make sure it's connected properly since getting the connections backwards can damage the HomeWork Board.