Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MLX90217 reliability problems — Parallax Forums

MLX90217 reliability problems

Alex.StanfieldAlex.Stanfield Posts: 198
edited 2013-10-29 11:01 in Accessories
Hi, I'm using two MLX90217 to form a quadrature encoder against a steel gear (modulus 4, 10 teeth, ~48mm diameter). I usually get it working ok on the test bench but I'm having problems when mounting the whole assembly (which has iron supports). The problem is that it randomly generates pulses in "the other direction" i.e: the gear moves in one direction and so do the quadrature pulses, but then the pulses get out of sync creating a sequence like if the motor was moving in the opposite direction.

Has anyone used these sensors with regular gear teeth (instead of square teeth I mean)

Thanks in advance for any tip

Alex

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-08-12 15:42
    Are you using the recommended bias magnet in your application?
  • Alex.StanfieldAlex.Stanfield Posts: 198
    edited 2013-08-12 16:15
    Are you using the recommended bias magnet in your application?

I'm using a strong rare earth magnet 8mm x 1mm.
    edited 2013-08-12 19:47
    I wonder if the iron supports are transferring the magnetic field and affecting your bias?
    edited 2013-08-12 19:55
    I believe the problems are due to the gear's teeth shape which are NOT square (see the pictures).

Soporte ROT MLX90217 v2.jpg

Has someone made a quadrature encoder sensing directly on the gears? On the picture the MLX90217 go one on each end of the 27,5mm dimension line giving 1 and 3/4 teeth separation.

Thanks in advance for any experience you may share.

Alex
    1024 x 583 - 37K
    edited 2013-08-12 20:09
    I wonder if the iron supports are transferring the magnetic field and affecting your bias?

Yes, I'm wondering the same. On the test bench I hardly had any errors. I'm not able to get rid of the iron (for security reasons) so what should I do to re-gain control of this?

The leads I'm following on this problem are the following:

- Miss-alignment (i.e: incorrect distance) between the sensors affecting the overlapping of the quadrature signals.
    - tooth shape that makes the sensing more difficult
    - incorrect gap between sensor and tooth
    - magnetic flux too strong
    - magnetic hysteresis on the gear teeth affecting the sensing
    - supporting iron of the assembly affecting readings

Alex
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-08-12 21:19
    I wonder if a small tapered iron "guide" between the sensors and the gear teeth would help focus the magnetic field on the gear teeth.
    edited 2013-08-13 05:41
    kwinn wrote: »
    I wonder if a small tapered iron "guide" between the sensors and the gear teeth would help focus the magnetic field on the gear teeth.

Thanks for the tip, maybe a set screw will do fine and it's easy to assemble.

Alex
    edited 2013-08-13 10:14
    This may require some empirical testing on the actual unit to find a solution.
    edited 2013-08-14 16:16
    Some updates on the subject.

As "data trumps guessing, always" I decided to get a linear hall sensor and get some hard measures on the subject. Turns out that I had some points way out of specs.

- The bias magnet was over 400mT which is the max allowed on the MLX90217 face
    - The air gap between tooth and sensor is way beyond the values i saw in Melexis' forum and testing showed that at that distance was very hard to get the min 10mT required by the MLX90217 to detect the edges.

I had the sensors behind a plastic "fence" to protect and support the sensors, I'm changing that to put them in front of the fence and close enough to the teeth also with less bias flux.

Will update after new tests, stay tuned.

Alex
    edited 2013-08-14 16:44
    Alex, thanks for the updates, it will be interesting to see how things turn out after you make these changes.
    edited 2013-10-29 11:01
    Finally I got some time to update on this. It's working now as expected.:smile:

The solution came around two things
    1. Use the correct bias magnet.
      This magnet http://dx.com/p/super-strong-rare-earth-re-magnets-8mm-20-pack-4248 has a little above 100mT which is perfect for the MLX90217. You can use two if you need for spacing and it will work ok
    2. You should have around 1mm of air gap between the teeth and the face of the MLX90217
      The closer the better. This is crucial to get the reliability for a quadrature sensor so don't be fooled into thinking that beacuse it works on a 3/4mm gap it's ok.
    I finally got the chips in front of the plastic support with 1mm gap and haven't had any more problems so far. Between the "fence" and the gear in the following diagram.
    Soporte ROT MLX90217 v2.jpg

PD: Be wary however that sensing magnetic flux variation is not the same as and optical encoder. It worked for me but even slight changes on the gear's position can change the output even if the sensor didn't get to the face of the tooth. i.e: you can sense a "magnetic edge" because you turned back slightly but not as far as getting to the "mechanical edge". This can send false signals to your code making it believe it moved more than it really did. this happens on direction changes only as far as I saw. Moving further in the same direction get's your signals correctly, it's just on the direction change.

Alex
    1024 x 583 - 37K