Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robo No Go — Parallax Forums

Robo No Go

TechGuyJonTechGuyJon Posts: 3
edited 2013-08-10 12:23 in Robotics
I've been working on this problem of mine for about 6 months. I've been very stubborn about it. I got the kit and looked at the instructions manuel. I saw it said "will require 500 hours or something of programming." I said to myself that I wasn't going to be that guy and do it. So I went to the end and found some steps and built on the small bread board what I thought was the correct circuit. Loaded up a default program and to my surprise it didn't work. So I went for a month working on it like this no to success.

Realizing that I have always started from the bottom on projects and worked my way up, I started over. Took everything apart and started at page 1. I got through the small book and actually got them to battle. I was so happy at that. I really couldn't believe what I had done. So then I continued on to the advanced book to get more stuff (for example side sensors).

So again I start at the beginning of the larger book with a pre-built sumo and here I am, 5 moths later with no success. I for some reason can't get the side sensors working. I have tried, tried and tried. So now I go to the forum and will ask you all for some help. What should I do?

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-10 11:30
    Welcome to the forums!

You need to provide some description of the robots you are using. Are they Parallax? Then the part number would help.

Exactly what kind of problems do you have. You mentioned "sumo" and "side sensors". This may mean Parallax Sumo Bots.

He would be glad to help, but a better description of the problems would be in order.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-08-10 11:33
    It would also help to know what book you're using (with page numbers) and what code you're using? Oh and what microcontroller are you using?
  • TechGuyJonTechGuyJon Posts: 3
    edited 2013-08-10 11:49
    That's how you know I'm a newbie. Yes they are the Parallax SumoBot Robot's.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/productid/316/default.aspx

The link above will give you information on them. In the 'Applied Robotics with SumoBot' book on the Table of Contents it will say for Chapter 3 Activity #5: Adding and Testing Sensors and Indicators on page 117. This is the part that I get stuck on and just don't know how to get past. Were adding 2 IR LEDs, 2 IR detectors and 4 resistors (2 - 220 Ohm & 2 - 470 Ohm).
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2013-08-10 11:55
    Could we see a picture of your connections? Big and clear are best.
    edited 2013-08-10 12:02
    TechGuyJon wrote: »
    That's how you know I'm a newbie. Yes they are the Parallax SumoBot Robot's.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/productid/316/default.aspx

The link above will give you information on them. In the 'Applied Robotics with SumoBot' book on the Table of Contents it will say for Chapter 3 Activity #5: Adding and Testing Sensors and Indicators on page 117. This is the part that I get stuck on and just don't know how to get past. Were adding 2 IR LEDs, 2 IR detectors and 4 resistors (2 - 220 Ohm & 2 - 470 Ohm).

The first thing I would check is the IR LED. It is easy to plug it in backwards. They are polarity sensitive. The short end of the LED, (cathode), should go to ground, (VSS), The long end goes to the 220 ohm resistor, which then goes to to the proper pin.

If you have a camcorder, you should be able to point it at the IR LED and see a green light coming off the LED. You may have to put the camcorder into "Night Vision" mode.

Try that and come back.
    edited 2013-08-10 12:04
    And...what Franklin said, but I don't think we would be able to see the long and short legs in the breadboard.
  • TechGuyJonTechGuyJon Posts: 3
    edited 2013-08-10 12:23
    Unfortunately I have taken everything off the bread board and I will be starting over again.

Publison wrote: »
    The first thing I would check is the IR LED. It is easy to plug it in backwards. They are polarity sensitive. The short end of the LED, (cathode), should go to ground, (VSS), The long end goes to the 220 ohm resistor, which then goes to to the proper pin.

If you have a camcorder, you should be able to point it at the IR LED and see a green light coming off the LED. You may have to put the camcorder into "Night Vision" mode.

Try that and come back.

Yea that was one of the things I had tried. When I had expressed help to one of my instructors at school that was one of his ideas.