Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie Question: Serial to USB Adapter — Parallax Forums

Newbie Question: Serial to USB Adapter

Chris61Chris61 Posts: 2
edited 2013-08-09 22:53 in BASIC Stamp
I have a serial HomeWork Board that I am trying to hook up to a PC (Windows 7) through a serial to USB adapter. I keep getting "no usable serial ports found."

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-08-09 19:22
    A lot of USB to serial adapters are not capable of being used to program a Stamp or Propeller (or other microcontrollers). It depends on how they've implemented one or more control lines like CTS or DTR. In addition, the Windows default USB to serial adapter driver doesn't handle the control lines properly for programming, so you have to use the manufacturer's driver, if any. What adapter are you trying to use? The ones that use FTDI's chip generally work. There have been other threads here in the past where people have described what's worked for them and what hasn't worked. There are too many on the market for Parallax to test, so they sell (cheaply) and support their own perfectly fine adapters.
  • Chris61Chris61 Posts: 2
    edited 2013-08-09 20:31
    Thanks, Mike. It is on order. Have agreat weekend.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-08-09 22:53
    Welcome to the Forums. It is sometimes possible to use the FTDI drivers on the Parallax site and just replace your current driver for your adapter. It does not always work but it does with some adapters. It's worth a shot and if it does not work you can just revert back to your old driver. If it works then you will have 2!!!