Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Solar power for BS2 - Pls recommend proven system — Parallax Forums

Solar power for BS2 - Pls recommend proven system

John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
edited 2013-08-09 09:57 in BASIC Stamp
Can anyone recommend a solar panel system that they have been using to power BS2 on a BOE? I just need to hear from people that have a system in use without problems for years. My project has enough work in other areas, I need this part Off-The-Shelf or quick-build from proven plans.

All I need is super-reliable 24 hour power to run a recording BS2 in a remote location: 6-9 volts, about 200 mAmps when active. Will sleep about 90%.

Much thanks.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-08-09 09:57
    John,

I've been doing some Solar Data Logger stuff recently again and I am using two systems right now. The main unit uses our 18V Solar Panel, a PB137 regulator and a Sealed Lead-Acid Battery (SLA). The Solar Panel goes into the input of the regulator and the output goes to the battery, which also powers the BASIC Stamp or Propeller board. The idea is that the Solar Panel keeps the battery charged/topped off and powers the board during the day and the battery takes over at night. This is especially effective when the MCU board is in low power mode and wakes up occasionally to take measurements and perhaps log them. I am working on an easy solution for our 9V panel as well that doesn't require the PB137 or the SLA battery, though for long-term loggers that would be the way to go.