Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about Scribbler 1 — Parallax Forums

Question about Scribbler 1

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2013-08-07 12:53 in BASIC Stamp
Does the Scribbler 1 robot just use light sensors to control the various commands it follows when one, two or three of them aare covered up? I would like to inplement something like this on my Wild Thumper. If it uses light sensors, which ones should I get? If not, what does it use?

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-08-02 20:14
    Three hooded photoresistors in S1, used to sense the direction of the brightest light. The demo program uses the 3 light sensors almost like pushbuttons on powerup: depending on which sensors see light, it branches to a different part of the program.

You could use photoresistors/photocells, but phototransistors are more sensitive over more wavelengths (including IR) and arguably better. Most old school cadmium sulphide photocells are most sensitive to yellow-green light and tend to have a slower response than phototransistors.

What do you want to use them for?
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-08-02 20:23
    I would like to eventually have my Wild Thumper mimic the commands that the Scribbler uses.It will differ in some ways but I want to do something similar with the same type of setup. I have a Scribbler 1 and am impressed with that functionality of it and think it would fit quite well with my Wild Thumper once I get it going.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-08-03 13:16
    Covering the light sensors is the method for the Scribbler, but on the S2, they added a button count that works really well and is very reliable. You press the reset button a certain number of times to set a function - there is feedback on the number of button presses via the LEDs also. This works very well!

You can see this in the getting started guide and in the help in the GUI.

If you are using a Propeller to control the Wild Thumper, you could get the code from the S2 Object - or some ideas at least - if you are using a Stamp - which I guess you are...
    edited 2013-08-03 15:56
    @Whit, I am using the Propeller Project Board that comes with the Wild Thumper. I have anlod S1 and like I said, I like the functionality of the 3 light sensors. I might look at the S 2 code also. Although I have never used one of them I have heard good things about them.

Edit: Where is the S2 Object located? All I could find was the Pearl Source code.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-03 16:15
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    @Whit, I am using the Propeller Project Board that comes with the Wild Thumper. I have anlod S1 and like I said, I like the functionality of the 3 light sensors. I might look at the S 2 code also. Although I have never used one of them I have heard good things about them.

Edit: Where is the S2 Object located? All I could find was the Pearl Source code.

Go to the S2 page:

http://www.parallax.com/go/S2

a
    nd click on the "Default Program" icon.

That should be the S2 program.
    edited 2013-08-03 19:29
    If you load the S2 GUI - you can go to the help button - that will lead to the GUI help - on the left hand column is a table of contents - at the bottom of it is a link to the S2 Spin Object Documentation.

When you click on it look under Public Spin Methods and you will find the explanation of the button methods and the source code. This should let you study the code...

Phil Pilgrim might give you a tip or two also!
    edited 2013-08-04 20:17
    Thanks @Whit. I found it. And now I want an S2 also!!!
    edited 2013-08-07 07:19
    I think you "need" one! :lol:
    edited 2013-08-07 12:53
    I think you "need" one!
    Yea, me too. However, I just spent a few months worth of my electronics budget on my Wild Thumper and related items. I need to get that going when I return from Montana.