Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interesting Scara Robot Design. — Parallax Forums

Interesting Scara Robot Design.

Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
edited 2013-08-02 06:09 in Robotics
Below is a video and the Url of an interesting scara robot design. What I like about it is the arm end is really low mass because all the motors are near the shoulder joint. Scara robots often have a linear actuator on the arm end, but he opted to raise and lower the entire arm instead. Here the blog url: http://www.heliumfrog.com/hf06robot/hf06blog.html

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-08-01 20:12
    Very cool, MH. I bet you like the slick IK motion of the stylus as well...!
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-08-02 06:09
    erco wrote: »
    Very cool, MH. I bet you like the slick IK motion of the stylus as well...!

Yes and the movement is super smooth because he used steppers over servos. He was also nice enough to publish his code on his website. The IK for a scara robot looks much simpler than a revolute robot arm, but stepper motors are more complicated than servos because you need control both their position and velocity.

The one part of his design I disagree with is that he gave up on threaded rod for the Z axis too easily. He was using hardware store threaded rod which has too many threads per inch and results in slow movement. However, acme threaded rod in a one to three foot lengths isn't all that expensive, nor are the anti-backlash nuts it uses. The advantage of acme threads is they are faster than normal threaded rod, and unlike a belt the robot won't fall if you turn off the Z axis motor.