Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Has anyone made GPS module (part 28146) Smart Mode work with an Arduino? — Parallax Forums

Has anyone made GPS module (part 28146) Smart Mode work with an Arduino?

SRNSRN Posts: 15
edited 2013-07-31 11:59 in Accessories
The C++ basis seems to be a major problem; I haven't seen anyone posting a success story using Smart Mode to call and receive one piece of information on any forums. I have seen recommendations of putting a diode between the pins and of setting pins high/low or input/output as the loop runs; can anyone confirm a code they have working? I found an alternative way to make my code work for the project I have been working on, but expanding this project will be much easier if I can just use Smart Mode to ask for the relevant data. Thanks!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-26 10:09
    SRN,

After reading your message a few times I am not clear if you're having code issues, hardware issues or interface issues. I don't know about Arduino serial port interfacing, but I am guessing it is not possible to do send and receive on a single I/O pin? In this thread you said you had it working. And in this other thread (presumably the original?) I offered a method for connecting RX/TX pins to SIO. You never mention if you even tried it. To be honest there are too many threads on the same subject making it impossible to know what has ben covered. Please keep in the original thread until the issue is marked resolved. Posting new threads only inhibits progress on this issue.
  • SRNSRN Posts: 15
    edited 2013-07-29 07:15
    I did get my project to work, though it was through function-calling and a sideways method of defining variables. I never did get Smart Mode to work. As to the resistor, I never tried that specifically (as I got my project running) but I did use a diode in the same manner as had been suggested on the Arduino forums; I would think that it would perform the same function of keeping the pins from interfering with one another. I opened this thread hoping that if anyone *had* used the specific combination of Smart Mode and an Arduino Uno successfully they would say how, with the thought that the other threads I had posted in had a different focus. I tried to keep the different approaches separate and I apologize if that caused any problems or confusion. This thread was not meant to be a troubleshooting question but simply a clear place for folks to post a "success story" in hopes that people doing projects in the future would find the working process easily.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-07-31 11:59
    Sorry I missed this thread earlier.

To answer your question, I have gotten various iterations of Parallax's Smart Mode GPS units connected to the Arduino in smart mode. Simple logic steering with the resistor/diode allows you to use two IO pins in half-duplex mode with the GPS. It's the same arrangement used with many other Parallax products that depend on open drain IO pins.

Somewhere a while back I posted code for this, and I can repost if you're interested in seeing another approach.

-- Gordon