Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 OEM Kit Troubles — Parallax Forums

BS2 OEM Kit Troubles

noelkhannoelkhan Posts: 4
edited 2013-07-22 17:30 in BASIC Stamp
Forum,

I built two BS2 OEM kits (purchased through Parallax) and neither of them is detected by the Run > Identify. I get no device name, and no for loopback and echo. I've gone through the Connection Troubleshooting portion of the help file and set the Latency Timer Settings for my COM port to 1ms as directed. I'm powering the board using a brand new 9V battery connected to VIN and VSS. I'm using Parallax's USBto232 adapter, which is definitely okay as it works on another project and that also reassures me there's no PC/driver problem.

Because both the USBto232-adapter and OEM-board have male DB9 connectors, I use a female-female gender bender to mate them. Because I wasn't sure whether the gender-bender was full modem, I also crimped a cable to connect the two but get the same results.

IMG_20130721_173940.jpg

The OEM-board's DB9 connector's #1 pin is top-left (because it's labeled so) and since it uses L-shaped male-pins, the connector's #1 pin is actually going to the board's #5 circular pad. If I mount the DB9 connector to the underside of the board - matching the connector's pin #1 to the board's #1 square pad - I get Yes for loopback and echo, but still no device name (this tells me the serial interface is now correct). Also, the schematic shows DB9 pins #6 and #7 shorted, which are clearly shorted on the underside of the board (two lower-left pads).

So, is the connector supposed to be bottom-mounted?

Also is there anything else I could do to get the device name to be detected?

Regards,
Noel
1024 x 768 - 72K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-07-21 18:33
    Weird. I don't have one, but the DB9 connector sure looks top-mounted in pics of the OEM BS2 PDF. Are you sure your cable works with other BS2s?
  • SapphireSapphire Posts: 496
    edited 2013-07-21 19:13
    noelkhan,

The DB9 connector is supposed to be female, which would reverse the pin order and make it work when mounted on top. I would suggest contacting Parallax for a replacement.
  • noelkhannoelkhan Posts: 4
    edited 2013-07-22 08:20
    Thank you for the replies.

erco: yep, I'm absolutely certain the USBto232 works.

Sapphire: I griped about the male connector under my breath, but couldn't find anything in the docs/pics that showed otherwise. I ordered one of these kits last summer and another in fall and both of them had male connectors. Just my luck.

Any ideas about the BS2 not being detected?

Thanking you,
    Noel
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2013-07-22 08:41
    Are you saying that the OEM shipped with male D-sub connector (re. your pic)?

The BS2 OEM ships (and is shown) with a female connector, which corresponds with the pin labels (silkscreen) - or it was mis-packed.

http://www.parallax.com/desktopmodules/catalookstore/ImageViewer.aspx?link=Images%2fProd%2f2%2f272%2f27291-L.jpg&desc=BASIC+Stamp+2+OEM+Module+(Kit+Form)&PortalID=0&viewerid=-1&mid=-1

It's that way so that you could, given space enough, plug it directly into the PC comm port.
    Obviously, space is a consideration, so an extension cable is used (NOT a "null modem.")
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2013-07-22 09:49
    I've built and used many OEM BS2 kits... all have come with a female DB9 connector as shown in the link posted above by PJ.
  • noelkhannoelkhan Posts: 4
    edited 2013-07-22 11:30
    Are you saying that the OEM shipped with male D-sub connector (re. your pic)?

Yes sir, and on two separate orders (second half of 2012)

...all have come with a female DB9 connector

Comparing the parts-picture to the materials-list, I see 3 other variations (VR, resonator, RN) of similar magnitude (negligible, annoyance).

Packing errors are typical. Getting the wrong part 2 of 2 times, atypical, but when speaking to staff at last year's expo I learned that interns/temps are common and that's where my suspicion lies since my orders were relatively close together.

But, now that there's consensus I got the wrong part or that under-mounting the male connector would work, it's a small matter. I also doubt that installing the male connector damaged the ICs, so if there's no additional suggestions on why the device isn't recognized, perhaps it's time to ship them back.

Regards,
    Noel
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2013-07-22 11:48
    Or ask for the female D-subs.

Maybe there are other incorrect components, too, and/or maybe there are other issues.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2013-07-22 14:43
    I have an old Parallax-Assembled BS2-OEM that one of my bosses gave me and I have a Kit from late 2011 and both have a Female connector which is same as on my Homework Boards.

One of the things that always confused me about electrical connectors what the male and female refers to the electrical contacts and not the body. The BS2 OEM and Homework board connectors have a Male end but inside are Female sockets.

Someone probably got the connectors confused because of the way they are described. Yes it's a female body but the connector is male so therefore it's called a male connector.

I think this incident will generate a CAPA (Corrective and Preventative Action) if Parallax uses such things.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-07-22 17:30
    So, Since the "Normal" Pin out is counted from top left to right, why not reverse the pin count and see if it works. In other words, start your count to connect from Top Right with the furthest to the right being Pin 1 and counting left. The pins are reversed on the Male adapter.