Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Retro Printer — Parallax Forums

Retro Printer

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2013-07-21 15:00 in Robotics
I rescued a very old Remington typewriter from some idiot's junk pile. Beautiful, all mechanical. Belongs in a museum, not in a landfill! Long key stroke. Ribbon intact and all keys work. How cool would it be to hook up several servos to make this into a slow serial printer? Back burner project. All depends on how well a quarter-scale servo could pound the keys.

Of course if I find out that someone beat me to it, it would take all the fun out of it. Google/Youtube search time.

My unit is something like this and in similar shape: http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMINGTON-12-Standard-Typewriter-Antique-with-Cover-Excellent-Condition-/251307604096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8319b880

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-20 22:57
    Are you thinking of some sort of robot arm to peck at the keys?

Definately sounds fun.

I'm so glad I don't have one of those (typewriters) myself. As you know, I have a hard time letting others have all the fun. Lack of a typewriter should keep me safe this time.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-07-20 23:00
    Gad! That looks like the clunker I learned typing on in high school. Indestructible, apparently, or they would not have used it in a typing class.

BTW, back then, keyboards did not have a "one" (1) key. You had to use a lower-case "L" instead.

-Phil
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2013-07-20 23:01
    Hunt and peck. Two servos/solenoids and an x/y frame to move them. Has to be an improvement over my typing!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-07-20 23:03
    Yep, a few grubby robot fingers slowly mashing vintage typewriter keys. Maybe smoking a ciggie, too.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-20 23:45
    BTW, back then, keyboards did not have a "one" (1) key. You had to use a lower-case "L" instead.

Didn't you also have to use the letter "O" for a zero? If so, it appears they had something against typing binary numbers.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-07-21 06:26

-Phil

Does that make you older than the number "1"? Wow! :smile:

...from someone who's already older than dirt.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-07-21 06:28
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Didn't you also have to use the letter "O" for a zero? If so, it appears they had something against typing binary numbers.

Well typewriters are analog devices.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,644
    edited 2013-07-21 15:00
    And you apparently need to type ' <bksp> . for "!"? There's no "!" key on my old typewriter. Guess "1" and "!" are both on the same key because they were both added later. System Font on Windows 98 has the same glyph for "l" (lower el) and "1" (one)