Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Industrial use question — Parallax Forums

Industrial use question

Angela-CurtiAngela-Curti Posts: 44
edited 2013-07-25 11:38 in BASIC Stamp
I am new here :

Just to know the best microcontroller in industrial applications.

It is a very simple application just count boxes from 0 to 1000 with an ultrasonic
sensor and start again from 0 . The speed is low just about two boxes per second.

I need to know which is better:

Basic Stamp , Propeller , Arduino .

Angela. :smile:

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-07-20 20:47
    "best" covers a lot of ground. What's most important to you? All 3 microcontrollers you mentioned are capable of doing the task. All are capable of communicating with a PC or a serial display. All can interface with a wireless link like an xBee or WiFly or RN-42 Bluetooth adapter. They're all relatively easy to program. The Basic Stamps in Basic of course, the Propeller in a variety of languages including C, and the Arduino in their version of C/C++. The Basic Stamp OEM board is about $30. The Propeller Project Board is about $25 and the Arduino Uno-R3 from SparkFun is about $30, all very comparable.

I personally prefer the Propeller because I can trivially interface it to a TV with a video input or a VGA display for standalone debugging purposes along with a standard PS/2 keyboard and it's very flexible without having to invest in shields or other external interfaces, but opinions may vary.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-07-20 23:00
    +1 to Mike's comment. Any of those processors can do the job.

I might add that you probably have a choice of sensors, too. Ultrasonic might work fine. An IR break beam arrangement would work. A Sharp IR range module could work fine, too.
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2013-07-21 02:42
    I have to agree with the both of them that any of the microcontrollers can handle the task that you talk about. But, if you are needing to do more than the propeller would be the one to use. If you tell us what the application is going to other than counting boxes, we can point you to the right microcontroller to use.
  • Angela-CurtiAngela-Curti Posts: 44
    edited 2013-07-25 10:38
    Yes, but some people tell that some microcontrollers are better for industries. Some are CMOS technology other are ttl ,
    I don't know I am not an expert.

I saw the Propeller is a 3.3 volts and Arduino 5 volts, Basic Stamps are 5 volts.

I have some dubts why people use PLC instead of a Propeller or Arduino .
    Microcontrollers are cheaper but industries preffer PLC . Do you know why ?

Regards.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2013-07-25 11:01
    I use the stamps, and other microcontrollers in industrial projects often.

Technically, microcontrollers can do the job. PLC's are purpose-built for industry and offer several characteristics very useful in logic applications, chiefly having a more predictable scan time and less likelihood of being put in an endless loop. Years ago, PLC's were very expensive compared to micros, but now PLC prices for a whole unit are comparable to some microcontroller chips alone.

The main reason PLC's are often chosen is the rest of the plant may have the same type of equipment so there may be a maintenance issue.

And, most micros do not come with an electrical safety certification (UL, CSA, etc) and there may be a liability issue should the micro catch fire or damage some other piece of equipment.

That said, try to talk your bosses into letting you do this small project with a microcontroller. Everyone might be surprised!

Cheers,
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-07-25 11:38
    TTL is considered to be an obsolete technology. Everything digital these days is built with CMOS structures.

We're at a time of transition from 5V CMOS to 3.3V CMOS. Many complex CMOS parts like microcontrollers are being built with 1.8V CMOS internally and 3.3V CMOS processes at the interfaces to the "outside world". Some of these 3.3V parts are being built with inputs that can tolerate (and interface with) 5V devices. The lower operating voltages are necessary to keep power dissipation down for these complex parts and the more dense these parts become, the lower the voltage they can tolerate.

The Arduino is now being made with 3.3V parts as well as 5V parts. Some of the 3.3V parts are described as 5V tolerant. They will withstand input voltages up to about 5.5V without damage and their output voltages will be recognized by most 5V digital inputs.

The Prop-1 is a 3.3V part and the Prop-2 is designed as a 1.8V part with I/O ports that can run from 3.3V for compatibility with 3.3V parts.