Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev-8: props come off — Parallax Forums

Elev-8: props come off

niewooniewoo Posts: 7
edited 2013-07-18 11:08 in Robotics
Hello – the maiden didn’t go so well. A propeller came off on take-off, fortunately close to the ground, but still it flipped the quad over and broke several of the props and the prop assembly is missing for the prop that came off. Questions:
  • How do you keep the props from coming off? I following the instructions and finger tightened and then used a wrench to tighten slightly more.
  • I can not see replacement propeller Cone-Lock/Collet/Propeller-Nut in the crash pack
What do I do now?

Thanks,
Nick.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-07-16 03:05
    For the replacement hardware you should contact Parallax directly. If they can't provide you with the hardware then you can always buy a spare motor and use the fittings.

To keep the Props from loosening I use Loctite blue and a nice tight fit. I've never had the issue that you describe. Maybe also make sure that the shafts are clean by wiping with rubbing alcohol. You could also roughen up the shafts a bit with sandpaper if it's a consistent problem for you.
  • niewooniewoo Posts: 7
    edited 2013-07-16 07:40
    OK, thanks. Will try your suggestions. For now I've just ordered a new motor. When you say you apply Loctite, presumably this is onto the threaded part of the prop adapter and not to the motor shaft itself? Seems like the instructions in the manual should be clearer here. I've flown plenty of airplanes with prop adapters, but admittedly much bigger sizes, and never had this issue either.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-07-16 08:09
    Yes, loctite onto the threads of the prop adapter.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-16 11:42
    I think I only use loctite on the counter rotating props. They seem to be the ones prone to loosening. Though it wouldn't hurt to use loctite on all the props.

(It's really hard not to type prop with a capital "P". I did it at least three times while typing this reply.)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-07-16 22:17
    Nick, drop me your shipping address via e-mail and I can send you some new propellers for another attempt. I think the tech support crew will have some extra collets in their test bins.

One benefit of buying an ELEV-8 is that we should be able to provide the service to keep you in the air, quickly, without delays.
  • niewooniewoo Posts: 7
    edited 2013-07-18 11:08
    I got itchy and ordered a spare motor and the crash kit, so thanks for the offer anyway. I cleaned the motor shafts as suggested, and there was some gunk. I guess the previous step in the instructions has you attach paper to the shaft to check the direction and that would certainly have left residue given I used electrical tape without really thinking about it. Anyway, after properly cleaning I've managed to get it in the air successfully several times now without incident, so I'm on to tuning the gain.