Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Following Garage Fan — Parallax Forums

Following Garage Fan

CJC504CJC504 Posts: 11
edited 2013-08-06 09:51 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I am looking for suggestions for a possible project. I have a ceiling mounted fan in my garage and I would like this fan's direction to always being pointing at me. When the fan does not detect me, it will begin to oscillate until it finds me again. I am going to use (1) DC motor and an HB-25 motor controller to rotate the fan about the Y axis (fan rotates from left to right or right to left). I am not concerned about any other axis, just the Y-axis. I am curious as to what device(s) anyone would suggest to use to detect me and follow me. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have attached some pictures of the fan rotating about the Y-axis (DC motor not mounted yet)

Chris
320 x 240 - 34K
320 x 240 - 38K
320 x 240 - 33K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-07-13 20:28
    COOL idea. Simple to use IR if the garage isn't flooded with sunlight and you're willing to wear an IR-emitting beacon hat/headband! Same simple hardware as my robots use here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rHuFFe6HRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvY-_KW3lI
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-07-13 20:56
    How big is your Garage? Although @erco's idea is very good, I am not sure everyone feels the same about wearing a beacon!!!! What about placing PING sensors around your garage? As long as each of them are within 3 meters of your location they should work out.
  • CJC504CJC504 Posts: 11
    edited 2013-07-13 21:08
    Thanks for your input!

I do not mind wearing any device as along as it it is not terribly heavy. My garage is about 21' deep and 17' wide. It does not get direct sunlight, but I do get a lot of sunlight relected off of the concrete. My roll up garage door is rarely closed when I am working in my garage. Do you think that this light would interfere with infrared? Any other suggestions.

-Pics of my garage shown attached for reference. Thanks!
    320 x 240 - 45K
    320 x 240 - 48K
    320 x 240 - 47K
    320 x 240 - 47K
    320 x 240 - 52K
    320 x 240 - 47K
  • Paul K.Paul K. Posts: 150
    edited 2013-07-13 21:53
    I think the best solution is to use PIR sensors. Using a couple of them, setup in the right places might get the job done.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2013-07-13 22:43
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    What about placing PING sensors around your garage?

Would the airflow from the fan disturb the PING)))'s output/input?
  • PliersPliers Posts: 280
    edited 2013-07-14 07:02
    My approach would be to use three directional IR thermometers.
    The system would sweep the area until it found something close to body temperature.
    The left and right sensors would indicate off center. The middle sensor indicates dead on.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-07-14 12:38
    davejames wrote: »
    Would the airflow from the fan disturb the PING)))'s output/input?

I doubt this would be a problem. I tested my Ping with a hot air gun. I blew hot and cool air at the Ping and across the path of the Ping. The readout from the Ping stayed steady through all these tests.

I have run into a problem with using an ultrasound on a small quadcopter but I think the problem arises from noise the quadcopter's motors are making. I'm guessing the motors have a strong ultrasound component in the sound they produce.
    edited 2013-07-14 13:18
    I suppose the total cost of the system should be less than say, adding two more fans. :)

Just came from Walmart and they have cheap fans stacked to the roof. A very cool summer this far in LA!
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,752
    edited 2013-07-14 13:45
    erco wrote: »
    I suppose the total cost of the system should be less than say, adding two more fans. :)

Just came from Walmart and they have cheap fans stacked to the roof. A very cool summer this far in LA!

Please don't jinx it. :P
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2013-07-14 14:19
    I think it a cool idea let us know how this project come along
    edited 2013-07-14 18:19
    If you bombarded yourself with Gamma radiation, you wouldn't need to wear a silly IR emitter. Then a cheap scintillation detector could track your absolute position with great certainty. Of course, so could the NSA and Dr. Bruce Banner. Me to you, CJC504. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillation_counter
  • CJC504CJC504 Posts: 11
    edited 2013-07-14 19:32
    We'll call the gamma radiation idea "Plan B." Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it. I am still not sure what the best solution is though. I need something VERY simple. Due to my 15 month old toddler, I have very limited time to work on projects. I am not the best at writing code so I would need to copy and modify an existing program for the object detection and tracking.

I am inclined to just buy one more fan and call it a day. If I had more project time, I would like to go forth with this project, but it would probably be winter (not literally but you know what I mean) by the time I finished it. The fan is $115 so I have to weigh that against all the other components I would have to buy to complete the project. I already have the BS2 controller, the DC motor and HB-25. I think I also have a few ping sensors, but I am not against buying IR sensors and/or thermometers. What would you all do? Thanks again.

By the way, I live in the Houston, TX area and it is really hot, and really humid as I am sure everyone is aware.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-07-15 16:12
    If you're the hottest heat source in the garage you could use this: https://solarbotics.com/product/40370/

These have been used in robots that follow people and/or animals.
    edited 2013-07-15 17:30
    That's a cool (and pricey!) sensor Chris. Would love a chance to try all the amazing sensors out there. That sensor might be good for candle flame location for the TCFFHRC. Every time I hear Devantech, I think about http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp who has some great prices on many sensors, but he doesn't stock that thermopile.
    edited 2013-07-15 17:39
    The thermal sensor Phil played with here has a 4 x 16 sensor array.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2013-07-15 18:05
    When my wife and I went to the hospital to deliver our second child, the geek in me noticed the "strobe light" on the end of the doctors fancy pocket pen. By clicking his pen, sensors in the room would direct the overhead 1 million candle power spotlight to the the "exact" location of the strobe. Well the 1 million candel power is an exaggeration, but it was bright. .... Anyway, just a thought... replace the overhead spotlight with your fan.

Yes, the funny thing was is that I found a moment like that to find someone to "talk shop" .. . :-)
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,652
    edited 2013-07-15 18:34
    Franklin wrote: »

The link on the YouTube video for the object code does not work.

Here it is: http://obex.parallax.com/objects/591/
    edited 2013-07-15 20:57
    Don M wrote: »
    The link on the YouTube video for the object code does not work.

Here it is: http://obex.parallax.com/objects/591/

Don, That link also doesn't work.

Here's the Wii camera object.

BTW, Chris the Carpenter sells some Wii cameras which are easy to use with a Propeller. (Check back in a minute for a link.) Well, darn. Chris doesn't sell them anymore. He does sell one with an added oscillator through Trossen Robotics.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,652
    edited 2013-07-16 04:13
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Don, That link also doesn't work.

Duane- That was my point. I didn't say that it did. I copied the url from the YouTube video page. It would be nice if you knew what the name of the object was so maybe it could be searched for.
  • Marka32Marka32 Posts: 41
    edited 2013-07-17 22:53
    It occurs to me that Costco has a security light that can follow you. Attach a fan to that, and you'll have light and air <g>. I don't know that they still carry it, or what the range is. Here are some from others:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NightWatcher-Security-220-Degree-Outdoor-Black-Motorized-Motion-Tracking-Halogen-Security-Light-with-Wireless-Indoor-Audio-Alarm-NW300BK/202768304#.UeeA6EbOTuc

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ge-motion-tracking-security-spotlight/prod4860293.ip

Or, mount a long rod on the fan. Put a loop around the rod, and attach that to your shirt. The fan will follow your movements. <g>

- Mark
    edited 2013-07-18 09:40
    An array of 3 Pings (or cheaper ($2!) HC-SRF04s) on each side of your garage should do it. Parallel beams widthwise across your garage, each looking for something besides the max or default value, phased so they don't interfere. That could pinpoint your location and tell the system exactly which direction to go, no (goodwill) hunting.

Once again, my gamma radiation bombardment concept goes back in the drawer, dangit!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-Distance-Detector-Sensor-Module-Transducer-/320862799167?pt=Home_Automation_Modules&hash=item4ab4e9c53f#ht_3086wt_904
    edited 2013-07-18 09:45
    @Marka32: I like that tracking security light!

Now I have to find it on Ebay China for $50... :)

I haven't seen any PIR sensors that output which zone changed, which is apparently what this one is doing. Would be very handy. The quest for said sensor begins!
  • SapphireSapphire Posts: 496
    edited 2013-07-18 14:18
    It's possible to get accurate and restricted detection from the Parallax PIR sensors. I built a traffic counter using two Rev A PIR sensors and a BS1. By installing shields or visors over the sensor's dome, the direction of detection can be controlled. In my application, I used 3/4-inch PVC couplings cut at 45 degrees to create a 90-degree non-overlapping field of view. This lets the traffic counter see a car pass by one of the PIRs before the other, and the direction can be determined. It's very accurate over the street, so this concept should work inside a garage. You could add one (or more) sensor in the middle to help follow you around. The program could then move the fan to the last point of detection, and even turn it off when you leave the garage.

In the photos below, the PIR sensors are mounted in the lower left and lower right of the housing, and the PVC shields are the white tubes sticking out of the bottom.
    640 x 480 - 61K
    640 x 480 - 57K
  • Donny23Donny23 Posts: 8
    edited 2013-07-28 08:59
    How complicated do you want to get? Do you want it to only see you? RFID? Signal strength could indicate center position to keep it facing toward you at all times. Otherwise oscillate.
    It's a garage, so, I don't think IR would be the best way to go. Unless, you don't plan on starting any engines or turning on the heat. I'm sure you might turn around at some point, bend over, or stand behind something that would block any line of sight(laser beam, ultrasonic).
    edited 2013-07-28 10:28
    Donny23 wrote: »
    It's a garage, so, I don't think IR would be the best way to go. Unless, you don't plan on starting any engines or turning on the heat.

Heat will not interfere with the IR seen by a Wii camera. The only things hot enough to glow IR are things that are almost hot enough to glow red hot.

Near IR as used with the Wii, TV remote, and low cost security camera night vision (which require IR LEDs) is best thought of as a color like red of green. It's just happens to be a color we can't see. Sure something red could be red because it glowing red hot (like a kitchen stove) but in general, things we see as red, reflect red light well. Near IR is a color we can't see. As with red, things can glow in near IR but if it's glowing IR it's going to be very hot (almost red hot).

If you have a camera which is sensitive to IR you can test this out by observing an electric stove top with it. Turn the stove up till it's red hot and then back it down a bit so it's just a little cooler than require to glow red. It should then be glowing IR hot.

Thermal imagers and PIR sensors use far IR. Our body heat is enough for us to glow far IR hot.

I think this problem arises from broad range of wavelength which fall under the definition of "infrared".

I still think a Wii camera mounted with the fan and either IR LEDs or IR reflectors on the target would work well. If reflectors are used then you'd need an IR light source mounted next to the camera.

The sensor (far IR) mentioned in post #16 could also work but I think it would require a lot more work (and it would be more expensive).
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-07-28 22:15
    Another item that I thought about ( I forgot about it until I dug one up) is a PIR sensor. In the proper environment they are good to almost 20 feet.
  • bte2bte2 Posts: 154
    edited 2013-08-03 09:08
    I'm thinking CMUCam...

ETA- or a couple of them.
    edited 2013-08-03 09:37
    bte2 wrote: »
    I'm thinking CMUCam...

ETA- or a couple of them.

Why? How?

All the CMUCam tracking I'm aware of uses color blob detection. I'd think this would be a problem in a garage.

Maybe Chris doesn't have anything green in his garage so whenever he want to work he puts on a green t-shirt?

Can the CMUcam track with other means than by color?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2013-08-04 09:03
    this looks like it would work if you replaced the gun with a fan and tuned it correctly. http://projectsentrygun.rudolphlabs.com/ Remember NO GUN, FAN!