Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Spinneret, port forwarding and my LAN — Parallax Forums

The Spinneret, port forwarding and my LAN

homosapienhomosapien Posts: 147
edited 2013-07-12 15:31 in Accessories
Is there any inherent danger to ones LAN in configuring ones router to do port forwarding to the Spinneret to allow it to be accessed from the internet? I'm using the WebServer_W5100_RTC and was thinking of setting up my router to forward any traffic directed to <some random port, say '5555'> to the Spinneret local address, port 80 (port 80 appears to be the http default port in WebServer_W5100_RTC). I understand the Spinneret would get and try to respond to any and all queries from the internet directed to my routers IP address and that port combination and am fine with that.

Are there any known ways to use a open address/port combination to access any other computers/devices on a LAN? I'm thinking not, but just asking....

-Nate

Comments

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,644
    edited 2013-07-12 15:25
    Probably not for the spinneret. It would be incredibly hard to find such a hole, and Propellers are so remarkably good at crashing on memory fault that any hacker attempting to break into your network through the spinneret would crash the spinneret before he could do anything.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2013-07-12 15:31
    Just an FYI)

At our local hacker space, there are a few guys there that get paid professionally to find vulnerabilities in a companies network. When faced with trying to "kill" a Spinneret by way of attack, the funny comment I remember from the guy was ....
    It's like playing Whack a Mole, it might play dead for a little bit, but it always pops right back up.